Cave Mining

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
In the last AtV caves were shown off. Although very early stages it was mentioned and even shown that one of the 'set pieces' was a mineable rock. What are your thoughts on this? Think caves will have the most valuable rocks a planet can offer? Think it'll be slow work due to possible size limitations? Does this open up the possibility of a mining vehicle of some kind?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I hope CIG doesn't add caves, subterranean mines, and mining vehicles to the current timeline, but yeah a lot of this is possible. I also think that CIG needs to look at expansion as something to do after the game is released, and not now... or we're going to wait a lot longer for this game. The potential is huge though, it's just... they need to draw a line in the sand and say "This is what V 1.0 of the release will have, and the rest needs to be expansion."
That's my take anyway.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I hope CIG doesn't add caves, subterranean mines, and mining vehicles to the current timeline, but yeah a lot of this is possible. I also think that CIG needs to look at expansion as something to do after the game is released, and not now... or we're going to wait a lot longer for this game. The potential is huge though, it's just... they need to draw a line in the sand and say "This is what V 1.0 of the release will have, and the rest needs to be expansion."
That's my take anyway.
Fair enough but what about 'later'? Like say when Sq42 is out?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Fair enough but what about 'later'? Like say when Sq42 is out?
After SQ42 would be a start, because they can use the assets developed for SQ42 in SC, but not while they have outstanding bugs they have not fixed.

They could make a mining laser attachment for the cyclone for an easy and quick mining vehicle.
Yes they could. It would be better if they did so after they've fixed the bugs and defects they have left behind.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
After SQ42 would be a start, because they can use the assets developed for SQ42 in SC, but not while they have outstanding bugs they have not fixed.

Yes they could. It would be better if they did so after they've fixed the bugs and defects they have left behind.
I think after Sq42 is out the door and we're playing it the PU is going to take a quantum leap forward in content progress.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
In the last AtV caves were shown off. Although very early stages it was mentioned and even shown that one of the 'set pieces' was a mineable rock. What are your thoughts on this? Think caves will have the most valuable rocks a planet can offer? Think it'll be slow work due to possible size limitations? Does this open up the possibility of a mining vehicle of some kind?
It sounds like we will be able to get hand minning tools as some of the caves are going to be very restrictive on size. in real life the more valuable materials are the ones that are hard to get to so underwater or in caves.

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I like the idea that in the future we will have caves but yes I hope its something that comes after more is done. I see things that can be expanded in game with the implementation of caves as well. If they can implement caves, they can also implement deep mining on planets meaning we could find a mining area, not just a rock and mine into planets. For the caves I'd like to see a mining attachment for the cyclone or new mining vehicle. If not at least a mining laser for personal hand use

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I like the idea that in the future we will have caves but yes I hope its something that comes after more is done. I see things that can be expanded in game with the implementation of caves as well. If they can implement caves, they can also implement deep mining on planets meaning we could find a mining area, not just a rock and mine into planets. For the caves I'd like to see a mining attachment for the cyclone or new mining vehicle. If not at least a mining laser for personal hand use
Problem with them waiting until later to do it is it could change the landscape of already completed planets. It has to be done prior to the official release of the game where data will not be reset again. I feel caves are going to be crucial for artifact finding and exploration job I'm 100% amped for killing monsters in cave systems and exploring for cool artifacts.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Problem with them waiting until later to do it is it could change the landscape of already completed planets. It has to be done prior to the official release of the game where data will not be reset again. I feel caves are going to be crucial for artifact finding and exploration job I'm 100% amped for killing monsters in cave systems and exploring for cool artifacts.
I'm not exactly sure why that's a problem. This is not supposed to be a static game. The plan is to release the game one it is cohesively playable, but the development can and should continue afterwards. CIG already has a pretty good model for this, you use it every time you log into the game. Right now the updates are massive changes, but you can use the a modification of the same system to do incremental updates.

Forgot your password?