Cave Mining

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm not exactly sure why that's a problem. This is not supposed to be a static game. The plan is to release the game one it is cohesively playable, but the development can and should continue afterwards. CIG already has a pretty good model for this, you use it every time you log into the game. Right now the updates are massive changes, but you can use the a modification of the same system to do incremental updates.
It's really hard to suddenly insert a cave into somewhere people have already seen on existing planets Caves form after thosands of years. Now sinkholes yeah those can appear just at any old time. It's just better to have the tech ready before anything is made official and the game is set in stone whether that is during alpha or not. And of course caves can always be put on new planets and i expect that when they are created after launch. The universe goes on forever so i don't see any problems with expansion.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's really hard to suddenly insert a cave into somewhere people have already seen on existing planets Caves form after thosands of years. Now sinkholes yeah those can appear just at any old time. It's just better to have the tech ready before anything is made official and the game is set in stone whether that is during alpha or not. And of course caves can always be put on new planets and i expect that when they are created after launch. The universe goes on forever so i don't see any problems with expansion.
I don't disagree at all. What I'm asking them to do is to put some time aside to work on the bugs they've left behind. Instead, they design, redesign, and re-redesign. This is not good program development practice, it feels out of control from my perspective. The bugs don't get any smaller as time goes on.

Rest is kind of technical. It's actually a bigger problem, and most OOP programmers in the community would have at least understand the concern here. They don't even need to understand C++ to get what the concern is.
Something to explain the concern:
In SC, they have a ship design process that involves at least 3 phases, Black/Grey/White box. These phases have a combination of design art, and software development to support the ship. The concern is that they're developing software to support the ship. It means that there is a fundamental problem with the object model if you have to write software to support a ship.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In SC, they have a ship design process that involves at least 3 phases, Black/Grey/White box. These phases have a combination of design art, and software development to support the ship. The concern is that they're developing software to support the ship. It means that there is a fundamental problem with the object model if you have to write software to support a ship.
I would have originally agreed with you until I started playing around with Unity and Unreal which in the engine it really requires you to write code for every asset the player interacts with even if its really just a wrapper that inherited its properties from the parent class.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I don't disagree at all. What I'm asking them to do is to put some time aside to work on the bugs they've left behind. Instead, they design, redesign, and re-redesign. This is not good program development practice, it feels out of control from my perspective. The bugs don't get any smaller as time goes on.

Rest is kind of technical. It's actually a bigger problem, and most OOP programmers in the community would have at least understand the concern here. They don't even need to understand C++ to get what the concern is.
Something to explain the concern:
I would have originally agreed with you until I started playing around with Unity and Unreal which in the engine it really requires you to write code for every asset the player interacts with even if its really just a wrapper that inherited its properties from the parent class.
Yeah you guys lost me lol i'll agree and drink the koolaid though bugs are bad not sure which bugs we may be talking about though. In my thoughts wouldnt you fix bugs once the feature is complete though? of course you should note all the bugs first but i would assume as you continue to develop some bugs may go away on their own.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That "just a wrapper that inherited its properties from the parent class" is part of the point. That is not all that OOP offers though, and not all that Unity is capable of. Keep learning, you're on the right track. Problem is just to discuss it would probably require a separate forum, and none of us came here to learn programming.

Yeah you guys lost me lol i'll agree and drink the koolaid though bugs are bad not sure which bugs we may be talking about though. In my thoughts wouldnt you fix bugs once the feature is complete though? of course you should note all the bugs first but i would assume as you continue to develop some bugs may go away on their own.
Yeah don't worry... I get it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That "just a wrapper that inherited its properties from the parent class" is part of the point. That is not all that OOP offers though, and not all that Unity is capable of. Keep learning, you're on the right track. Problem is just to discuss it would probably require a separate forum, and none of us came here to learn programming.
Guess I did a terrible job of conveying my meaning. would have helped if i wrote it "should have been just a wrapper that inherited its public methods from the parent class". It has been my experience especially in Unity with it being more of a script langue that I have to put far to many public methods that are unique to the object class and thus when I try to group them together end up with lots of if instance of instead of just being able to use the parent class as an abstract declaration.

It could also just be a consequence of my development style when engaging with these engines with no clear goal beyond trying out new ideas and so end up with lots of spaghetti code in my test levels.

Forgot your password?