Cheers mates!

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Hi....oh, pwew, today I wrote a looooong introduction of myself, titled "Edging ahead", into the RSI-board. So please accept my apologies for c&p herein:

"I am edging into this universe by Chris Roberts, which every day and every hour becomes apparently bigger than it seems to be four weeks ago.

The point is: I've pledged SC at beginning February - 2016! (*gosh!* Don't touch it - its an Alien which tries to infiltrate the long-established SC community!)
And yet, I probably was one of the old school Wing Commander/Privateer nerds who yelled most loudly "YES, BABY - WELCOME BACK!!" at the time, Chris Roberts announced to realize his vision, his game "Star Citizen". So, why haven't I joined the backer community from the beginning? To be honest: I don't play MMOs; kind afraid of them. Therefore, I hung within this kind of interspace between "boy, this is soooo cool" and "ah, f*ck MMO, I am not interested" (but I read, not to say: studied *every* news of/about SC).

Time passed on and suddenly news came up, that Chris' gonna split up Squadron42 and Star Citizen. It took a few days and some finger nails (*audience scream!!*) before I formulized my final thought: "Bugger MMO - where's my credit card?"...and paid for the entry game package, together with a 315P. Seemed to be a good choice for me, a small ship with both, some weapons, small cargo hold; a tiny little puppy to do some exploration loops through the verse. Well, to anticipate the end: I still own the 315P - and a Connie Aquila. And I for sure plan to buy a Freelancer MAX. And Chris knows what else (I just ordered the small monthly "centurion" subscription) ...

And whats about the "edging" I mentioned at the beginning of this post? Well, the first time I started the launcher and the SC application, I was kind of disappointed. I ran through this "city" (forgot the name either), visited the hangar, fought some dog fights - that was all. A few days later, I found a german - oh, I am from Germany, I didn't mentioned this, did I? - SC community. By reading some "SC threads for starters" I began to realize that I just scratched the surface of SC. Next step was to find out how to order a ship on Port Olisar (see? Remember that name!) and cruise through space. Back in the SC community I learned that there are a few missions which can be absolved. Done this also, check. Few days, a ship purchase and some upgrades later (damn you, Chris, you atom-bombed my wallet!) as well as some space gasps later (O2 can do!) gained by some want-to-be-pirates who blew me into the space, I slowly came to the conclusion that travelling alone in space seems not the best of all ideas. I asked the german SC community how to get into a SC-group and became an answer like "...just go to my RSI and there you are". Did that, check. But ftw I didn't even know that there exists kind of a whole world of groups, companies, syndicates etc. And furtheron, that there is an own RSI-community... ... ...and thats what I call "edging" ;-)

So, well, yes, I am a newbie but oldschool, beyond 40 years old (unfortunately nearly deaf on one ear - life has left first traces) and on the search of news, hints, tips, communication, kind of common gameplay on casual basis and an organization where I can join in.

Hopefully you had fun reading my introduction. Have a nice day!

Kind regards
Sam
P.S.: edging *ahead* - because I had my first PC in 1989 and played Wing Commander 1 in EGA-graphics :-))
"

So, yeah, well - hope to see you around or drink and fly or whatever, having fun and so on. Have a good time, godspeed and a nice evening!

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Guten Tag mein Freund!

This is probably one of the most polite introductions I've seen on here by far. I vote we make the new guy the head liaison between us and every org that isn't ADI.

Welcome to TEST! I'm jealous of your beer and women (and wish I could speak your language)! Join us on Discord to chat sometime!

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Thx for the flowers, mate - appreciate :)

Have to say that - as 100% Singeplayer-Gamer and therefore MMO- and teamspeak-, discord-, whatever-N00b - I am totally confused by nearly...everything. The last four weeks I tried to understand the SC applications and - starting from today - now I am confrontated with the next big challenge: TEST! Well, and everything around it. And this whole organizations thing and discord - I managed to sign up but then what...? - and...everything. I think, I will need a couple of days to get used to all of it, social structures of TEST, RSI, dos and donts. I feel like 1996, the time when I sent my first emails: have done someting, but then what...?!

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Halesh

Commander
Mar 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Halesh
Welcome to test squadron, where spaceship endurance premiums are through the roof, beer is dirt cheap, and half the people here will greet you with slurs and open arms. The rest might be sober (for now)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I just went onto discord - and have to say: I don't understand anything of this. But am I right: this board at testsquadron.com here is just for introduction-reasons and the main communication takes place at discord...? I think, that will be the reason for me to fail in joining in TEST :confused:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Have to say that - as 100% Singeplayer-Gamer and therefore MMO- and teamspeak-, discord-, whatever-N00b - I am totally confused by nearly...everything. The last four weeks I tried to understand the SC applications and - starting from today - now I am confrontated with the next big challenge: TEST! Well, and everything around it. And this whole organizations thing and discord - I managed to sign up but then what...? - and...everything. I think, I will need a couple of days to get used to all of it, social structures of TEST, RSI, dos and donts. I feel like 1996, the time when I sent my first emails: have done someting, but then what...?!
Most of the people in TEST (and almost everyone outside of TEST) are confused by TEST and everything around it. Don't feel bad :D

It can be overwhelming at first, but you find a groove that works for you and there are plenty of people that will gladly help you out with anything you need!

Before I get ahead of myself with the rest of this post, if you have questions about the org: *just ask*! Seriously, ask questions on Discord if you're on there, or make a post here and we'll do our best to educate without overloading you :) If it's one thing we TESTies like, it's talking about TEST!

If you have questions about the game, ask those too! I can't promise that all the answers are simple or that there isn't a mountain of information available, but we'll do our best to help you figure things out!

I just went onto discord - and have to say: I don't understand anything of this. But am I right: this board at testsquadron.com here is just for introduction-reasons and the main communication takes place at discord...? I think, that will be the reason for me to fail in joining in TEST :confused:
I would not say that Discord is our main communication method. Discord is what we use for chatting with people in real time and we will use it far more once we start doing big operations in the game.

You don't have to be on there if you don't want to (even once the game launches, but you might miss out on some org activities). Myself, I'm only rarely seen on Discord these days. As we get more features in game that involve a lot of people needing to communicate then we'll start using Discord much more than we do currently, but for now it's mostly just for hanging out and talking more casually. There are plenty of people putting groups together for games and it is our official voice chat, but, again, it's not required that you be on there.

I prefer communicating on the forums, but you don't have to post here to "succeed" at being in TEST, just like you don't have to be on Discord. It is a great source of fun and can be very informative though, so if you're not on Discord and you want to stay actively involved then I would recommend you check the forums as you feel like it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm crawling into bed, because I'm old and work and stupid RL crap.

Said that to say: I feel I should read your entire intro. Seems interesting to say the least. I just don't have time right now. Dammit. I shall return.

In the meantime, welcome to TEST.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Welcome to TEST! Don't worry, our Discord is super casual right now. I like going on there, but I'm there pretty rarely, while I'm on these forums entirely too much.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Wait... new forums? Now I'm confused. #tablethrow

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Welcome to TEST!
I think you'll fit in just fine...
I mean... if you're drunk, or just type like it, and over 40, or under 40, and own Star Citizen, or want to own it, or have a computer, or just use a computer in the library, you're in the right place.

Reactions: AstroSam
Forgot your password?