Chris Roberts answers on Dynamic Economy progress

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
At least the economy is still on the radar. I just started playing SC again this weekend. It has really changed, but one thing I have noticed is that the assets are brought in based on the location (maybe I am not explaining this right) such as a rest and relax. Noob me running around looking for food and water was a pain, I'd have to show up at a location, mess around for a bit, log out and log back in hoping I could buy a drink and food. This method of deploying assets is a good idea, but it really needs to be tuned. Again, that was my experience, I could be totally wrong on the assets but that is what it seemed like to me. I also did some fps mining... didn't blow myself up yet, but it was pretty fun although my backpack did not work with the armor put out with fps mining. I switched to overlord, because it had the best heat resistance, and I could store 20 stones and put them in boxes.

Anyway, I am excited for an economy to be deployed. Sooner the better.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
To hear the timeline on some of that stuff is really depressing (Late 2021?). It lends more evidence toward the notion that they are choking on Server Meshing and are trying to be hush about it. It seems like everything of note (read: Complex on the server side of things) has been pushed further and further downfield while they are replacing those items on the roadmap with new ships or cosmetic type stuff that will not add to server load. I have a feeling that they have a whole lot of stuff done that is sitting on the studio side of that Server-Meshing bottleneck, and until those systems are in our hands to mess around with, they cant do much real iteration on them. It's all just kinda...frozen. While I'm sure a single player experience is totally viable due to the local nature of how its sure to run, I fear that the mechanics that make it into the game will not be as balanced/playtested as they could be. We shall see, because I have a feeling that server meshing is the backbone that will either make or break this entire project.

/$0.02

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure that they are choking on Server Meshing. While it is true a number of game features are waiting on Server Meshing to be implemented before they are in turn implemented. I have a feeling that most of the development resources are still tied up with SQ42 and so its a bit of a mixed blessing. It means that development teams have more time to work on core engine features like Server Meshing without hindering other teams so they should be able to implement a better solution then one when they are rushed. The other thing to keep in mind is that engine development and feature development is a small subset of the resources used to make a game. The biggest part of the team is typically artists and modelers creating ships, stations, planets, and all of the objects that bring these things to life. Even if they cannot bring Pyro into the PU at the moment it's not slowing down its development nor is our inability to play in pyro or the many game loops that are on the projected roadmap going to hinder their polish passes as those polish passes will most likely be ongoing. Like ever mmo before it I do not see a reason why CIG wouldn't continue to tweak systems and implement new features well beyond SG goes to beta and release.

So the only downside is us. We must wait and wait some more for all the play we so desire.

Forgot your password?