Chris Roberts on Squadron 42's Absence & Big Moves on Planets V2, Roadmap

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Viewers of the stream (or our content) will know that Squadron 42 didn't make it into the live demonstration, already packed with hours of discussion on Spectrum (comms systems), procedural generation, authoring tools, and roadmaps. The demonstration was technologically and graphically impressive, but Squadron 42 was left out for polish and refinement reasons.
We showed a pretty big demo, and sometimes I think that's a problem – like last time at Gamescom, we showed the Morrow Tour, where characters were more basic than they are now. And really, 2.0 sort of overshadowed it, which was the large world and the procedural stuff. To me, we're putting our best foot forward, so I showed the crashed Javelin demo with big space worm. That's kind of what the experience will look like, but on Squadron 42, it's on another level beyond that. We weren't quite there, but we have a couple live streams this year. We have a November and December one, so tune in for that and you never know what you'll see.”
Full article: http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2635-chris-roberts-on-squadron-42-planets-v2-citizencon-roadmap

Ergo: stay tuned and chill ;)

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I think its okay to wait a little bit longer. Its better to have a good game from the start, than having a game which is full of bugs and needs 5 dlc's to work properly.
Also i guess its a strategic decission. He knows everyone is watching him, waiting for mistakes, to point at him and say that they already knew that SC / SQ is not going to happen. So he better waits for a "perfect" work status than showing an imperfect game.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Looking at the development of Freelancer (as far as I can remember) it was ultimately rushed out the door by Microsoft, as the epic proportions of the single-player aspect were deemed to time consuming and costly. ... don't quote me on this.

But as their is no big "publiboss" this time around Chris Roberts can take all the time he needs to make what he ultimately envisions SQ42 to be, to which I say, Bravo! I loved Freelancer but hated the end of the SP campaign, I was so ready to take the fight to the nomads and the Dom ca-fosh-something! :p

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
You mean CR isnt doing what EA does with every one of their games?
No he's doing this weird thing where he won't let something ship out unless it meets standards. Its a strange because people usually have this overbearing executive board telling them to hurry up and get it out. Cut out X and we'll ship it in an expansion that must be started on immediately. Chris isn't doing that and I'm proud to be playing the game that is like.....5 games(or more) in one.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm OK with no SQ42 at CitCon. He said during the presentation that they're going to flesh out and Polish a single level to release detail. I'll wait for that to be blown away than an earlier version, that'll still blow me away, but then I'll be sitting for months wishing we had it now.

Some have said they were disappointed with this year's, but I had a blast because it's the first one I actually went to. I had a lot of fun meeting some Testies and meeting a lot of the people on the team making the game.

They told us during the autograph signing to take no more than 30 seconds at each person, but it's really true that when you get Erin or Chris to start talking they never really stop. One of the volunteers kept trying to get people moving along, but I figured it'd be rude to walk away so I just keep listening to them talk :D

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I will be honest I did not watch the livestream it was US times and I have to work.

Most of the frustration I see is people do not like to wait. I have only been a backer for a year so not hard core nut or anything even if I have spent to much and mostly what scares me the most is how slow any ship of any sort of size takes to come out. Caterpillar has been going for about a year that's been visible. They still add news ones to concept so the queue just grows. Updates to alpha game play are also seemingly slow we have what clothes, cash and guns this year? Anyways basically I am not expecting release for at least a couple of years given progress and you might get a rails release ala SQ42 slightly before that.

I am totally happy with waiting for a top class game but it really has to be top top class anything else will be a disaster. People have put so much cash into this game compared to any others.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I am totally happy with waiting for a top class game but it really has to be top top class anything else will be a disaster. People have put so much cash into this game compared to any others.
This is going to be the deciding factor. After so much time, money, and promises, this game must be nothing short of brilliance for people to be happy.

I have my own expectations of what the game will finally be, but also realize it'll be slightly different than what I think. I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course, even being cautious I have thrown quite a bit of money at the project! If it ends up being what I hoped for then I'll be happy with my investment and it'll hopefully allow for other projects like this to be created.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
*warning, no punches pulled*

That's all we get nowadays thanks to stupid conglomerate money grabbing publishing companies is rushed out the door shite. I mean Christ, Look at No Mans Sky if anyone needs a reminder of why this game MUST be different and MUST buck the trend of rushing games to meet publisher deadlines.

Please people, be patient. In my humble opinion if you are a backer and you are still impatient and salty - you are not a real backer, you're just an impatient hype train sheep. I'll wait another two years if I need to for squadron 42. Anyone who isn't willing to wait needs to take a long hard look at themselves!

As far as the demo goes, I think we had a feast, I mean, procedural planet v2 is a big step forward, it looks bloody awesome. We saw Item 2 and Mission 2 and everything seems much easier to use and navigate with item 2. We also saw...er... animals!!! Who was expecting that? I wasn't! The demo of the game tools was epic - so many game studios are shitting themselves right about now - they're all 10 years out of date as of yesterday. And to top it off we got good solid roadmap info.

I thought it was good! Not sure about Chris's singing mind.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Adding to BUTUZ's points, we saw our first animals, explosives, and DYNAMIC FUCKING WEATHER including conditions unsafe for a Connie to safely land.

Having not watched a live stream before for any of the GamesCon/CitizenCon events, I was blown away by what we DID see, and I accept what we DID NOT see insofar as the reasons given. I am in heavily after Polaris, was already concierge, but I am fine with delays when they are for quality reasons.

Below is my script for my 'I am a Star Citizen' video that I haven't finished editing that explains my feelings about where we are (yes I know I am late).

"I have been following the development of Star Citizen for a couple years but have only been a backer for a year. I am Director of Product Support Engineering for an aerospace engineering company in San Diego, California. I am also a licensed pilot and aircraft owner.

I grew up in the 70's/80's, at a time when we still designed, built and did incredible things not just as Americans but as human beings from Earth. Apollo, Skylab, the Space Shuttle, the SR-71, the F-15, the Concorde - I read Asimov and Heinlein and Bradbury and Herbert and Clarke and what we are seeing in StarCitizen was the promise of our future only a couple decades ago.

To be clear, the scope, scale and vision of this sim is the only way I can deal with not being able to actually do these things in real life.

While true that Musk and Bezos are doing great things at SpaceX and Blue Origin we have lost nearly 3 decades of progress and momentum for a myriad of reasons political, cultural and such.

The gift that Chris Roberts and the team at CIG/RSI and the other partners are giving us cannot be undervalued in my opinion, and it can not and should not be rushed.

I can wait.

My name is John Knolla, callsign AstroGimp01, from Test Squadron, and I am a Star Citizen."

'Gimp

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
We saw Item 2 and Mission 2 and everything seems much easier to use and navigate with item 2. We also saw...er... animals!!! Who was expecting that? I wasn't
The whole time he was driving around I was like, "Man I can't wait til there's animals around to dodge/fight! But it's too early for them to be....SAND WORM!!!"

I'm quite happy with what we got. Everyone seems to be ignoring Spectrum, but I'm amazed at how fluid it will be. I know it can be done through a system of website plus Discord, but that's not all in one place with an overlay into the game. I think they took current tools and made them better.

I'm super excited for them to get it out and I want SQ42 right now, but I can wait. I'm not going to hate on them for taking their time. I want the best game ever!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I think its okay to wait a little bit longer. Its better to have a good game from the start, than having a game which is full of bugs and needs 5 dlc's to work properly.
Also i guess its a strategic decission. He knows everyone is watching him, waiting for mistakes, to point at him and say that they already knew that SC / SQ is not going to happen. So he better waits for a "perfect" work status than showing an imperfect game.
I'm OK with waiting for a fully polished game. I hate getting a half-assed project, and frankly, I trust Chris. So I'll wait. Happily and cheerfully.
I have had 'junk' games for 30 years.
It's about time someone got it right BEFORE releasing it.

I'm having so much fun playing it right now that I can surely wait for a finished game.
Thanks CIG.
^ All this. I looked at CitizenCon as "Good News / Bad News / Better News..."

Good News --> The progress since GamesCon was noticeable, instead of a bare planet, there is now stuff all over...grass, dirt, trees, weather, clouds, etc.

Bad News --> Still no firm dates for 2.6 or 3.0, but...

Better News --> the longer they take, the better it gets and more stuff there is in space or on the planets, things to do, etc. Plus, they have a really detailed roadmap to version 4.0...

I think the longer they take to make it better, the better the game, and the happier we all are. Chris Roberts is an artist with a vision...he ain't gonna release something that doesn't measure up to his (rather high) standards. What that means is that, yeah, the game will take longer, but, it will blow your socks off.

I think that is also why we didn't want to show Squadron 42, they really want to blow us away with everything they've done, and I think it will.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Adding to BUTUZ's points, we saw our first animals, explosives, and DYNAMIC FUCKING WEATHER including conditions unsafe for a Connie to safely land.

Having not watched a live stream before for any of the GamesCon/CitizenCon events, I was blown away by what we DID see, and I accept what we DID NOT see insofar as the reasons given. I am in heavily after Polaris, was already concierge, but I am fine with delays when they are for quality reasons.

Below is my script for my 'I am a Star Citizen' video that I haven't finished editing that explains my feelings about where we are (yes I know I am late).

"I have been following the development of Star Citizen for a couple years but have only been a backer for a year. I am Director of Product Support Engineering for an aerospace engineering company in San Diego, California. I am also a licensed pilot and aircraft owner.

I grew up in the 70's/80's, at a time when we still designed, built and did incredible things not just as Americans but as human beings from Earth. Apollo, Skylab, the Space Shuttle, the SR-71, the F-15, the Concorde - I read Asimov and Heinlein and Bradbury and Herbert and Clarke and what we are seeing in StarCitizen was the promise of our future only a couple decades ago.

To be clear, the scope, scale and vision of this sim is the only way I can deal with not being able to actually do these things in real life.

While true that Musk and Bezos are doing great things at SpaceX and Blue Origin we have lost nearly 3 decades of progress and momentum for a myriad of reasons political, cultural and such.

The gift that Chris Roberts and the team at CIG/RSI and the other partners are giving us cannot be undervalued in my opinion, and it can not and should not be rushed.

I can wait.

My name is John Knolla, callsign AstroGimp01, from Test Squadron, and I am a Star Citizen."

'Gimp
Beautiful 'Gimp.

Forgot your password?