Chris Roberts on Squadron 42's Absence & Big Moves on Planets V2, Roadmap

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
Look.....my first job out of college was to jump out of airplanes and kill people. I like blowing #@$_@ up.....so yeah I was disappointed in the demo a bit. The tech was amazing, but the guy playing/driving made me just about cry. He was driving o so cautiously. What was he recreating driving Miss Daisy......dude needs to embrace his inner Thelma and Louise. He's gotta be an ex-Marine cause he used the scope to shot a baddie 3ft away.......really? Pistol-whip that bitch and tea bag it for good measure.

Yeah so I was a bit disappointed. Luckily I don't need a video-game to be fulfilled in life, so everything is just peachy today.

Naruw

Grand Admiral
Aug 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Naruw
I think the Cit-Con demo was a bit blah. I was hoping to see more Sq42 like everyone else and maybe a surprise ship release or something more than the Polaris sale. The planet demo was cool but the PU is still 2 years away so it really doesn't have the same weight or near-term impact of a Sq 42 heavy demo.
I know they want to push out highly polished stuff, but I was more excited about the morrow tour in all its low poly and buggy nature than anything I've seen to date. Maybe they fear people can't look past the visuals but they should know the audience of backers better.
If the foundation is solid then the graphics are just window dressing to be improved. I think they missed an opportunity but maybe I'm in the minority

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
while i still fund & support the game, i am Disappointed to say the least, i believe the quote from CR at GamesCom was Citizencon would blow us away, sorry but that did not come close to blowing anything away....
This is a bit of a trend for Chris. He is incredibly ambitious but often talks before he can really back things up. I'm sure, had he shown a SQ42 demo, even a flawed one would have blown us away. However, since he didn't go into details about specific problems, we can only speculate on the reasons why they didn't show it.

You can see that they changed the presentation quite a bit, because of this. The Spectrum announcement, while quite cool, was far too long. @UbEcLoWn was nodding off, at one point. I believe if the SQ42 demo was ready, the entire presentation would center around the mission with some brief talks about Spectrum and the roadmap. The V2 procgen planet scene, while fun, was rough around the edges (enemy AI was severely lacking, and it appeared that the user had 'god mode' on, as he was standing in front of a firing enemy and walked away, uninjured).

The graphical fidelity, however, was awe-inspiring. The draw distance, or lack thereof, boggles the mind, especially where they scope up to sky and look at the space station in orbit (though, obviously quite a low orbit, as even a large station shouldn't be that visible to the naked or slightly enhanced eye.

The glitches throughout the gameplay were also evident of a bit of a rush to production. You might ask "Well, if there were glitches in that presentation, why didn't they show the SQ42 mission?!" Well, it's pretty simple: we saw an actual tech demo. It was a one-time mission they set up to show off what they've done, and where they've been. Mostly scripted events (i.e. - the ambush in the ravine, the first glimpse of the worm, the Sandstorm, and finally the worm swallowing the nomad raiders on Dragonflys), however, the gameplay was real-time. The user moved around, navigated, etc. The tech demo was just that: to show off the current state of their tech in relation to making the game, and was done so in lieu of the SQ42 demo.

That being said, I am pretty disappointed in the showing. Mind you, it was still fun to watch, but the delay of SQ42 has rustled my jimmies. I'm currently unrustling them.

GojiraSamurai

Space Marshal
Jul 22, 2016
RSI Handle
GojiraSamurai
From Forbes Magazine 10/10/16
Squadron 42, the single player campaign for upcoming space MMO Star Citizen, has been delayed indefinitely.

Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games made the delay announcement during a livestream, stating that while a lot of the basics were complete, a great deal more had to be done. This includes in-progress development on things like pathfinding logic, enhanced flight AI, and the mission integration system.

"The campaign’s 28 missions are simply not done yet, according to Roberts, with some still at the grey-box level."

The developer has been notoriously quiet about a release date—up until now, while very little from the campaign had been shown, CIG had still not pushed back the 2016 release window.

2017 is now the target, but I won’t be holding my breath until a great deal more of Squadron 42 is on the table.

here's the link > http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-single-player-campaign-delayed-indefinitely/#10e886072e0d

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
From Forbes Magazine 10/10/16
Squadron 42, the single player campaign for upcoming space MMO Star Citizen, has been delayed indefinitely.

Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games made the delay announcement during a livestream, stating that while a lot of the basics were complete, a great deal more had to be done. This includes in-progress development on things like pathfinding logic, enhanced flight AI, and the mission integration system.

"The campaign’s 28 missions are simply not done yet, according to Roberts, with some still at the grey-box level."

The developer has been notoriously quiet about a release date—up until now, while very little from the campaign had been shown, CIG had still not pushed back the 2016 release window.

2017 is now the target, but I won’t be holding my breath until a great deal more of Squadron 42 is on the table.

here's the link > http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-single-player-campaign-delayed-indefinitely/#10e886072e0d
I love how they put words in his mouth. "Delayed indefinitely" - Do any of you recall him saying that. Delayed, yes. Indefinitely? Nope.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I love how they put words in his mouth. "Delayed indefinitely" - Do any of you recall him saying that. Delayed, yes. Indefinitely? Nope.
Actually indefinitely is accurate in that no time or date was given. Basically since there was no clear date it is indefinite. Now if it was delayed definitely I would be throwing poop.....

I'm still disappointed in the fact of no new "stuff". Be it a trailer of sq42 or some sneak peak of the new controllers or CIG finally coming to terms that Test is really the Best and all Auroras will now be known as Test Tube Auroras in honor of all.... I think the damage control over disappointment was lacking; but dissapointment is not dissatisfied or even angry at. I get disappointed at my dog all the time... still love the stupid thing.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Actually indefinitely is accurate in that no time or date was given. Basically since there was no clear date it is indefinite. Now if it was delayed definitely I would be throwing poop.....

I'm still disappointed in the fact of no new "stuff". Be it a trailer of sq42 or some sneak peak of the new controllers or CIG finally coming to terms that Test is really the Best and all Auroras will now be known as Test Tube Auroras in honor of all.... I think the damage control over disappointment was lacking; but dissapointment is not dissatisfied or even angry at. I get disappointed at my dog all the time... still love the stupid thing.
Well said. I had no real expectations, so I wasn't even disappointed. To each their own though. :)

I'm fucking hyped ecstatic for 3.0. Haha

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
The next 3-ish months are going to bring epic level epicness to our space simulation, epic I tell you.

2.6 to the PTU (my guess is next week), then PU, and I predict a SQ42 demo in November and 3.0 around first of the year.

Going to be pure awesomesauce!

'Gimp

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Well said. I had no real expectations, so I wasn't even disappointed. To each their own though. :)

I'm fucking hyped ecstatic for 3.0. Haha
I don't know what's beyond ecstatic but I am that for 3.0. But even more so for 2.6 and star marine. It will be a great kick through the goal post to a lot of trolls of the internet (especially when last year we had the "indefinitely delayed" star marine and all the flak with that). And just to be able to go in and get some FPS space action. Can't wait.

I may of touched myself. Don't judge me.

RTV is out now..... hitting and expanding on what was citizencon.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The next 3-ish months are going to bring epic level epicness to our space simulation, epic I tell you.

2.6 to the PTU (my guess is next week), then PU, and I predict a SQ42 demo in November and 3.0 around first of the year.

Going to be pure awesomesauce!

'Gimp
'Gimp, this excitement that I'm reading in your post is precisely how I feel. I've ben waiting for this since Freelancer. Haha
I don't know what's beyond ecstatic but I am that for 3.0. But even more so for 2.6 and star marine. It will be a great kick through the goal post to a lot of trolls of the internet (especially when last year we had the "indefinitely delayed" star marine and all the flak with that). And just to be able to go in and get some FPS space action. Can't wait.

I may of touched myself. Don't judge me.

RTV is out now..... hitting and expanding on what was citizencon.
Judge you? My only concern is that you're not already touching yourself. Ha

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Adding to BUTUZ's points, we saw our first animals, explosives, and DYNAMIC FUCKING WEATHER including conditions unsafe for a Connie to safely land.

Having not watched a live stream before for any of the GamesCon/CitizenCon events, I was blown away by what we DID see, and I accept what we DID NOT see insofar as the reasons given. I am in heavily after Polaris, was already concierge, but I am fine with delays when they are for quality reasons.

Below is my script for my 'I am a Star Citizen' video that I haven't finished editing that explains my feelings about where we are (yes I know I am late).

"I have been following the development of Star Citizen for a couple years but have only been a backer for a year. I am Director of Product Support Engineering for an aerospace engineering company in San Diego, California. I am also a licensed pilot and aircraft owner.

I grew up in the 70's/80's, at a time when we still designed, built and did incredible things not just as Americans but as human beings from Earth. Apollo, Skylab, the Space Shuttle, the SR-71, the F-15, the Concorde - I read Asimov and Heinlein and Bradbury and Herbert and Clarke and what we are seeing in StarCitizen was the promise of our future only a couple decades ago.

To be clear, the scope, scale and vision of this sim is the only way I can deal with not being able to actually do these things in real life.

While true that Musk and Bezos are doing great things at SpaceX and Blue Origin we have lost nearly 3 decades of progress and momentum for a myriad of reasons political, cultural and such.

The gift that Chris Roberts and the team at CIG/RSI and the other partners are giving us cannot be undervalued in my opinion, and it can not and should not be rushed.

I can wait.

My name is John Knolla, callsign AstroGimp01, from Test Squadron, and I am a Star Citizen."

'Gimp
I also have to add -Beautiful Gimp-.
I could not have said it better.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Adding to BUTUZ's points, we saw our first animals, explosives, and DYNAMIC FUCKING WEATHER including conditions unsafe for a Connie to safely land.

Having not watched a live stream before for any of the GamesCon/CitizenCon events, I was blown away by what we DID see, and I accept what we DID NOT see insofar as the reasons given. I am in heavily after Polaris, was already concierge, but I am fine with delays when they are for quality reasons.

Below is my script for my 'I am a Star Citizen' video that I haven't finished editing that explains my feelings about where we are (yes I know I am late).

"I have been following the development of Star Citizen for a couple years but have only been a backer for a year. I am Director of Product Support Engineering for an aerospace engineering company in San Diego, California. I am also a licensed pilot and aircraft owner.

I grew up in the 70's/80's, at a time when we still designed, built and did incredible things not just as Americans but as human beings from Earth. Apollo, Skylab, the Space Shuttle, the SR-71, the F-15, the Concorde - I read Asimov and Heinlein and Bradbury and Herbert and Clarke and what we are seeing in StarCitizen was the promise of our future only a couple decades ago.

To be clear, the scope, scale and vision of this sim is the only way I can deal with not being able to actually do these things in real life.

While true that Musk and Bezos are doing great things at SpaceX and Blue Origin we have lost nearly 3 decades of progress and momentum for a myriad of reasons political, cultural and such.

The gift that Chris Roberts and the team at CIG/RSI and the other partners are giving us cannot be undervalued in my opinion, and it can not and should not be rushed.

I can wait.

My name is John Knolla, callsign AstroGimp01, from Test Squadron, and I am a Star Citizen."

'Gimp

I want to hug you.

Forgot your password?