Christmas Dinner Ideas

CrimsonCyclist

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2014
RSI Handle
CrimsonCyclist
Hey guys, so due to the girlfriend being stuck in another country for Christmas because of college and her work contract I'll be over there to spend time with her since she can't visit friends or family.

Now it's the first time either of us have done Christmas alone, let alone cook the all important dinner so I wanted to pool some ideas from the collective Testivus to help us out with options. So if you have any family recipies or ideas for like starters, main courses etc please share away!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Last edited:

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
can't go wrong with the classic roasted meat, gravy and vegetables. Between two of you would also conveniently eliminate the need for a starter, though a light vegetable soup is easy enough to one-pot.

dessert is where you can get creative depending on time and space available. Jam roly-poly and custard would be my call, but then I keep it simple so as not to let it interfere with the drinking.

If you decide to involve guests, its important not to allow yourself to be upstaged or outdone at any point for the honour of yourself and the squadron so up the the roasted meat a few notches with the classic duck, inside a chicken, inside a turkey, inside a dog, inside a hobo. Show them who's boss.

have a good one.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I agree that doing a roast and vegetables is simple and you can easily make it "festive" (mint on lamb, cloves with ham, etc) without needing to be a pro chef. If you want to do a turkey dinner, but are a little bit intimidated by the prospect of cooking an entire turkey (which is understandable), you should be able to get turkey parts (breast, leg, thigh) from a butcher. It's a lot easier to cook a single turkey breast vs the whole bird.

Do a thing with potatoes or yams. Those are almost impossible to screw up unless you forget them in the oven. Any number of vegetables are an easy way to do a good meal.

You can do your own rolls and breads if you want, but even though I love to bake (I literally have dough rising right now) I usually go to a baker and get it beforehand. Bread takes some practice and it's got so many steps and hogs the oven for so long that I let someone else deal with it and then warm it in the oven just before we eat.

I can get you a ton of recipes depending on what you're comfortable tackling. Easy stuff like sweet potato casserole and a couple of turkey legs, all the way to the "very-easy-to-fuck-up" echelon of spanikopita, turduckin, and cheesecake.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
  1. Figure out your budget. A $10 meal is a lot different than a $50 meal.
  2. Figure out if you have any food allergies. (this is critical)
  3. Figure out how many sides you want. Figure out how much effort you want to put into the sides.
    1. Veggie Blend - inexpensive, easy to make, can be made stovetop or on the microwave. Simply steamed with a little salt and butter is perfection
    2. Rolls - a dinner roll, croissant, etc are nice to have at the dinner. Pillsbury makes good dinner rolls that you take, remove the dough, roll them into the appropriate share (if Croissant), and bake. Yes, there are better breads, but for easy rolls, these are pretty good
    3. Potato - whipped, mashed, garlic mashed, baked. These are the preferred. If you have gravy, mashed is good. If not gravy or you have a jus, then baked is good. Sweets are also good. Don't overwhip the potato. Overwhipped or over mashed means glue, not a meal
  4. Figure Dessert. Pies are good, as are cookies, brownies, etc. Ducan Heins or Betty Crocker are good brownies from a box. I like the dark chocolate, but any will do.
  5. Get the main dish. Roast, pan seared steaks, Turkey, Chicken, Duck, chops, whatever you want to cook. If you are not great cooks, something simple like a steak. This will probably take about 1/2 your budget

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Please note that my knowledge of English words about cooking is sorely lacking, so if some instruction seems odd or off, just do it in a way that makes sense :)

When it comes to food, the holiday season is my most hated time of the year. No time to prepare properly developed meals, just a rush of coming and going from meal to meal with relatives.
So I usually go with these rather simple and bland foods so that everyone in the family can eat it and enjoy it, and larger amounts can be made fast and easily (and relatively cheap as well)

Come to think of it, apart from the meat, I don't really enjoy these, but it's traditional so....
Meal consists of:

Starter:
Veggie or mushroom or chicken Soup (or just skip it)

Main:
Bacon covered Pork
Mayo Potato "salad"
Rice w corn

Dessert:
Whatever the guests brought for dessert! There's no effing way I'm doing main course And desserts :D

For main course, big piece of lean Pork covered in Bacon strips
- get a piece of lean pork meat (google translate says it's called short loin, but as cuts differ from country to country, I dunno if it's the right part)
- prepare meat: wash it, cut off stuff you don't like, like excess fat.
- Place into a high-walled baking sheet/pan or whatever its called that you put stuff in for baking in oven. Grease or oil the pan before adding the meat!
- Season it with whatever you like on roasted pork. I usually have way too much to do, and with everyone having different tastes, I use a store-bought spice in this case.
- this is probably a good point to start preheating the oven, if you want to. It's not necessary though
- add overlapping strips of BACON (yay!) on top so that it covers the whole piece! It will keep the meat from drying out in the oven, tastes better, and looks cool :D
- add a bit of wine (red gives more taste, but white works as well for a lighter taste) and some water under the meat. Just a little though, you're better off adding more later, rather then having to deal with meat floating in water instead of roasting.
- Alternative.: if you want to, you may try adding a lot more water/wine mix, and end up with cooked meat and lots of "sauce" under it, but I wouldn't recommend it. At least use some more greasy part of a pork for this method!
-
open another wine and this time, actually add some to pan!
- put it in the oven and cook it for about 1-1,5 hour depending on size/oven type... Just make sure it's not rare in any way by cutting
- Check on it while in the oven so that it doesn't burn! Top up with wine/water if necessary*!
- wait for it to cool down before slicing it up so it won't break apart

*Top Tip: in case of having a shitty oven like I do that dries food instead of roasting it: cover with aluminium foil! Be sure to remove the foil after 3/4 through so it actually roasts, not just cooks! If you can be bothered, pour the sauce from under the meat over it every now and then. It will help in developing a crispy "skin". Also, be sure to "taste" that wine regularly during the process, it helps with family later :D

Note that you won't need gravy for this meal cos the mayo potato should work as a "lubricant" for the meat instead... ohhh what am I saying! You Always need Gravy! I never make it though... will try this year!

Sides:
(start with this!) For the Mayo Potato "salad" :
If you can, do this a day before the meal!
- clean potatoes, but do not cut them up yet! (if you cook em cut up, they'll turn into a paste)
- cook potatoes fully in heavily salted water, but try to only cook em as much as necessary, you will need the potatoes to stay kinda hard and not break into pieces when sliced later!
- do a few rounds of Arena Commander while waiting for them to cool down, and then cut em up into finger wide slices
- prepare the mayo "sauce" by mixing it with sour cream. Mix to taste/lightness you like.
- coarsely chop some white/salad/purple onions, whichever you like, and add it into the mix. Note that If you or your guests stomachs can't handle raw onion, you need to cook em a little bit before adding into the mix
- add some seasoning if you wish, finely chopped parsley mixes nicely and looks good, if you want more "bite" , try some black or cayenne pepper
- pour the mayo stuff over the sliced potatoes, mix it all up, carefully not to break too much of the potatoes
- Put it into the fridge for at least a few hours before serving! (the longer the better, we do it a day before so it can rest)

There is always someone who doesn't like the mayo stuff, so I always make some simple rice with corn
- use your preferred type of rice and way for cooking rice, and do it
- grab a can of corn and mix it into the cooked rice for some crunch, while rice is freshly cooked and still hot
- realise you "tasted" too much of the corn, open another can, and add it as well

Well, that's it for our usual Christmas family dinner menu. It probably took longer to write it down than making it.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
get you some rye dough, and a small canned ham. any bakery can help you with the rye dough, or you can buy a box of mix and use it.
spread dough out and place ham in the middle.
form dough up around the sides of the ham and over the top ( not too thin)
pinch dough together at top and cut some slits or make a couple holes in top of dough, can use a couple small pinches of dough to make leaf designs if you feel creative
bake in oven pretty much as the dough directions say
then you have a ham baked inside a loaf of rye bread, after cooling, slice and serve.
depending on the dough, you might have to put it in a pan with the sides of pan holding sides of the loaf up to prevent it falling, aluminum foil pan will ork for that with some adjustments.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
One other thing....if you have never cooked the "main feast" before...keep it simple. It takes YEARS of doing the occasional holiday meal before you can pull off something like Thanksgiving or Christmas without burning something, forgetting something, etc. Unless you have been your Mom/Dad/Aunt/Uncle's right hand helper for the past 5-6 years and have been doing most if not all the cooking under their supervision (or you are a professional chef/been to a cooking school), this will be the hardest meal you ever make.

2-3 sides (1-2 veggie, starch, dressing/sauteed mushrooms, etc), bread (purchased or baked, but if you have limited oven space, purchased may be easier), desert (made ahead of time), and the main course. Don't try to get really elaborate. It will end in tears and burned food.

Things I have learned from painful personal experience:
If you cook a bird and you decide to brine it, you can't make a gravy from the drippings. It will be WAY too salty.
If you do a bird and want stuffing....either do a dressing which is cooked in a pan outside the bird, or see if you can find the Good Eats episode on how to do stuffing right. Get it wrong and your bird will either be dry as a bone, or you will be spending the next few days visiting the throne due to food poisoning. Stuffing is very easy to mess up.

Get a digital probe thermometer that you can leave in the meat while you are cooking it. This means one with a cable that goes from the probe to the display. Know what temperature you need to cook the meat to.

If you cook a bird, make sure it's DONE. Know where to measure and what to cook to. THE POPUP THERMOMETER IS USELESS. Use a REAL thermometer

Take your time and be careful of food safety. Taking an extra 15 minutes to do washup, clean up after seasoning the meat, dressing the bird, etc is time well spent. Cross contamination is your enemy.

Be flexible on your dinner time. I've occasionally tried new things for dinner, new cooking techniques for old things, etc. Sometimes they work great. Other time they take twice as long.

Finally, if you decide to fry your turkey (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A NOVICE COOK)...be sure you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment, set up up away from your house, flammable structures, not on your driveway, etc. Have a fire extinguisher or two ready (one that can be used on grease fires.. YOUR GARDEN HOSE WILL NOT PUT IT OUT...you need a REAL fire extinguisher or two),and don't overfill the pot with oil. Unless you know what you are doing, frying a Turkey can easily lead to a visit from the fire department, or a trip to the burn ward, or both. Again, Good Eats (Host Alton Brown) has a good show about what you need to do to pull off a successful turkey fry.

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Figure out if you have any food allergies. (this is critical)
God yes! It amazes me how many people are surprised when I ask about this. At an old job we would do a potluck at least 3 or 4 times a year and there were usually a few new faces for each one so I asked every time. It's a good thing too cause one girl was allergic to garlic (I know right, the poor thing) and that's the kind of thing that no one thinks about being an allergy.

Of course, you probably know if your GF has a food allergy, but it's a good thing to ask if you're inviting guests.

Thanks for all the advice lads, much appreciated! Maybe I'll post up the results, disaster or no, on the day =P
You better. Everyone else will be whoring out their xmas for likes on here so you'll want to take advantage of that.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Something you can make as a brunch idea (to go along with the often done shrimp, fruit, etc)

Take bacon rashers and cut them in half. Cook them (microwave, pan, oven) until done. While still warm and flexible, wrap them around a piece of chunk pineapple (scallops can also be used, but pineapple is a lot cheaper, doesn't have to be cooked first, and you can make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge). Secure with a toothpick. Warm before serving. Other things that are good are things like Swedish Meatballs, Crab dip, Fruitcake (Stullen is what I make), christmas cookies (holiday cookies of any kind are great), etc.

One thing you might want to do is call your GF's mom/dad/brother/sister and find out what special treat she liked best (might just be a bowl of fresh fruit) when she was growing up. Make it/get it for her. If possible, get the recipe from her parents/sibs. Make sure you can trust them though (some sibs might take the opportunity to play a trick on her) Usually if they are over 25, you can trust them, under 18....not so much. Once they get over 40/50, never trust em....

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
If you are in the states, you can eat pork, and your budget is flexible, 'Honey Baked Ham' is the best spiral cut, sugar crusted, juicy, and downright delicious piece of glazed Christmas meat you will ever eat.

Attachments

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Hey guys, so due to the girlfriend being stuck in another country for Christmas because of college and her work contract I'll be over there to spend time with her since she can't visit friends or family.

Now it's the first time either of us have done Christmas alone, let alone cook the all important dinner so I wanted to pool some ideas from the collective Testivus to help us out with options. So if you have any family recipies or ideas for like starters, main courses etc please share away!

Happy Holidays Everyone!
....would be a pleasure to do, but....

Will you have. Full kitchen e.g., microwave, oven, stove?

Edit: also, what part of the world are you in?
...exactly this information I missed for doing that. But...

We'll be in the Netherlands. She basically only has a microwave oven and a decent sized gas hob.
...that is quite a challenge for cooking a xmas-dinner.

Hm...

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Forgot your password?