Citizen Con ticket Sales dates and prices released:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's a 2 day convention with Premium (limited F5 War tickets) and General access passes:

@Montoya as the ticket prices are at normal Convention levels, does this mean CIG'd actually fund the Booth build/resources this year? If not can we make sure the booth has a licenced bar in it so we can sell some bathtub grog to make back some of the cost of making the booth in the first place? :-)

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Those prices reek of marketing department being a 100% out of touch with their customers again.
What next, 60bucks for pay per view for the event? Oh, wait...
I was waiting for someone to notice the prices.

What's this about Pay-Per-View I have not heard anything about a cost for the live stream?

Reactions: GPcustoms

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I was waiting for someone to notice the prices.

What's this about Pay-Per-View I have not heard anything about a cost for the live stream?
It was almost a thing a couple years ago. It got announced, and the reaction was priceless. The community for once in their lifetime, actually came together and shouted loud enough that it got promptly canceled, and we got to see the show as usual for free.

As for the ticket prices, they are stupid high ofc, but I can already see @Montoya dropping a video about them being not high enough, because there are still more people who could potentially afford them than the max number of guests they can let in.

Ofc there is a logic to that but if you consider much much higher caliber cons like the San Diego Comic Con it's still more expensive (that's only 75/day according to a blog I found). It's kinda nuts really, but I'm sure it will sell out in no time.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Those prices reek of marketing department being a 100% out of touch with their customers again.
What next, 60bucks for pay per view for the event? Oh, wait...
I think they know their audience well. Those tickets will sell out in a heartbeat. Is it a reasonable price for everyone? No. 200 bucks is a lot of money. However, 200 bucks is nothing if you're a hardcore fan and are flying all the way out there or driving anyways. Right now, for me with just the airfare and hotel it's going to cost thousands. Then food and I'm sure a ridiculous bar tab as well. I gotta get a taxi to and from LAX to downtown too. There might even be some unforeseen costs thrown in there. I have to save every penny i have, but after 8 years of never going to one, I couldnt not go.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It was almost a thing a couple years ago. It got announced, and the reaction was priceless. The community for once in their lifetime, actually came together and shouted loud enough that it got promptly canceled, and we got to see the show as usual for free.

As for the ticket prices, they are stupid high ofc, but I can already see @Montoya dropping a video about them being not high enough, because there are still more people who could potentially afford them than the max number of guests they can let in.

Ofc there is a logic to that but if you consider much much higher caliber cons like the San Diego Comic Con it's still more expensive (that's only 75/day according to a blog I found). It's kinda nuts really, but I'm sure it will sell out in no time.
I think they know their audience well. Those tickets will sell out in a heartbeat. Is it a reasonable price for everyone? No. 200 bucks is a lot of money. However, 200 bucks is nothing if you're a hardcore fan and are flying all the way out there or driving anyways. Right now, for me with just the airfare and hotel it's going to cost thousands. Then food and I'm sure a ridiculous bar tab as well. I gotta get a taxi to and from LAX to downtown too. There might even be some unforeseen costs thrown in there. I have to save every penny i have, but after 8 years of never going to one, I couldnt not go.
Ah indeed, also if there is a pledge ship included in the event swigidy swag it suddenly becomes just another decent ship pledge with a convention attached.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
couple of things...

CitizenCon isn't outside of what Blizzard or Square Enix charges for Blizz Con for Final Fantasy Fest (not to be confused with Fantasy Fest in Key West), which is right in the 2-300 dollar range.

Here is the kicker though. Both Blizzard and SE have a huge number of games out there among many lines. FFXI, FFXIV, FFXVI, plus other stuff, and then D4, WoW, Overwatch (2), etc.

CIG has 1 game out there as a tech demo, and one announced but 7 plus year delayed game (SQ42 was supposed to be 2016). Their marketing department is out of touch, but honestly, if they sell out, it will only go up in price and their marketing dept will be hailed as a hero.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It's the principle of the matter that bothers me. The attitude such a price implies. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. This pricing feels exclusionary towards the regular Joe who did buy into the game for the 45 bucks, but would still like to attend such an event. It feels like it's squarely aimed at the Elite, the Concierge and up.
Ya know how a lot of ppl go to cons by grouping up and sharing all the costs they can, so they can do it with just a couple hundred bucks instead of spending thousands. Then they get slapped in the face with a 200usd ticket price? Feels bad man.

See, I'm not 'murican and don't really know the cost of things over there, so I asked chatGPT for a cost estimate on a group of 5 traveling by your average car from a far enough away place, like Pennsylvania to SDCC, than asked it to refine for the 200 buck price and the cheapest possible accommodation and food and such. Obviously it's out of date, but I think it still demonstrates a point:

CHATGTP (2021 old model) :
Certainly! Let's recalculate the cost for a group of 5 people who are sharing travel and accommodation costs equally, based on the details you provided:

1. Fuel Costs: Assuming the total fuel cost for the round trip is $672 (as calculated previously), each person's share would be $134.40 ($672 divided by 5).
  2. Accommodation: Since they are staying in a cheap motel or Airbnb farther from the convention center, the cost per night could range from $50 to $100 per room. Let's assume they find a place for $75 per night. For a 3-night stay, the total cost would be $225. Dividing it equally among the 5 people, each person's share would be $45.
  3. Tickets: Since they are attending the event for 2 days and the ticket price is $100 per person per day, each person would need to pay $200 for their tickets.
  4. Meals and Entertainment: Assuming a budget of $40 to $60 per person per day, let's take the midpoint of $50. For 2 days, the estimated cost per person would be $100.
  5. Miscellaneous Expenses: Consider setting aside some funds for parking fees, tolls, souvenirs, and transportation costs within San Diego. Let's allocate an additional $100 per person for miscellaneous expenses.
Calculating the totals:

• Fuel Costs: $134.40 per person
  • Accommodation: $45 per person
  • Tickets: $200 per person
  • Meals and Entertainment: $100 per person
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: $100 per person
Adding these amounts together, the estimated cost per person for the group of 5 people to attend SDCC from Pennsylvania by car, sharing travel and accommodation costs equally, would be approximately $579.40.

----------

SO lets put this into real world and round it up. According to an inflation calculator that number is 650USD today. Add on another 100 for actually random stuff like getting a motel room on the road and various costs, and it's 750 usd. Now look at the 200USD ticket price how it's almost a third of the cost for a video game that barely even exists outside of our circles.
And now one of you will tell me it's all wrong, a single taxi ride to the convention center costs 2500 USD/day/person at least and so on and so forth... Yeah, I get it, it's not a cheap thing to do. But this isn't SDCC or BLizzcon or something that is actually a thing. It's just CitCon, it's about as big a deal as a meetup of 5 friends in a village pub.

I guess what I'm trying to express is that
They haven't earnt this price tag yet

It doesn't feel right. It will sell out, it will be a Success, but it still feels wrong.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
It's the principle of the matter that bothers me. The attitude such a price implies. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. This pricing feels exclusionary towards the regular Joe who did buy into the game for the 45 bucks, but would still like to attend such an event. It feels like it's squarely aimed at the Elite, the Concierge and up.
Ya know how a lot of ppl go to cons by grouping up and sharing all the costs they can, so they can do it with just a couple hundred bucks instead of spending thousands. Then they get slapped in the face with a 200usd ticket price? Feels bad man.

See, I'm not 'murican and don't really know the cost of things over there, so I asked chatGPT for a cost estimate on a group of 5 traveling by your average car from a far enough away place, like Pennsylvania to SDCC, than asked it to refine for the 200 buck price and the cheapest possible accommodation and food and such. Obviously it's out of date, but I think it still demonstrates a point:

CHATGTP (2021 old model) :
Certainly! Let's recalculate the cost for a group of 5 people who are sharing travel and accommodation costs equally, based on the details you provided:

1. Fuel Costs: Assuming the total fuel cost for the round trip is $672 (as calculated previously), each person's share would be $134.40 ($672 divided by 5).
  2. Accommodation: Since they are staying in a cheap motel or Airbnb farther from the convention center, the cost per night could range from $50 to $100 per room. Let's assume they find a place for $75 per night. For a 3-night stay, the total cost would be $225. Dividing it equally among the 5 people, each person's share would be $45.
  3. Tickets: Since they are attending the event for 2 days and the ticket price is $100 per person per day, each person would need to pay $200 for their tickets.
  4. Meals and Entertainment: Assuming a budget of $40 to $60 per person per day, let's take the midpoint of $50. For 2 days, the estimated cost per person would be $100.
  5. Miscellaneous Expenses: Consider setting aside some funds for parking fees, tolls, souvenirs, and transportation costs within San Diego. Let's allocate an additional $100 per person for miscellaneous expenses.
Calculating the totals:

• Fuel Costs: $134.40 per person
  • Accommodation: $45 per person
  • Tickets: $200 per person
  • Meals and Entertainment: $100 per person
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: $100 per person
Adding these amounts together, the estimated cost per person for the group of 5 people to attend SDCC from Pennsylvania by car, sharing travel and accommodation costs equally, would be approximately $579.40.

----------

SO lets put this into real world and round it up. According to an inflation calculator that number is 650USD today. Add on another 100 for actually random stuff like getting a motel room on the road and various costs, and it's 750 usd. Now look at the 200USD ticket price how it's almost a third of the cost for a video game that barely even exists outside of our circles.
And now one of you will tell me it's all wrong, a single taxi ride to the convention center costs 2500 USD/day/person at least and so on and so forth... Yeah, I get it, it's not a cheap thing to do. But this isn't SDCC or BLizzcon or something that is actually a thing. It's just CitCon, it's about as big a deal as a meetup of 5 friends in a village pub.

I guess what I'm trying to express is that
They haven't earnt this price tag yet

It doesn't feel right. It will sell out, it will be a Success, but it still feels wrong.
I completely understand. Like i said, 200 bucks is a lot of money, and youre right, it does alienate the average joe. You also have to think were paying for 2 days at the LA convention center with maybe 2-3k people so the cost kinda makes sense. Theyre going to livestream everything so at least thats something for your average joe. I will be honest, you are right as this seeming like an event for the "elite" aka concierge or someone with enough money, which creates my bias from exclusivity.

Not just you, but for anyone else reading, how do you feel CIG could have handled this better?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Imagine if something happened like s42 comes out or they add 3 more mechanics and nine more start systems to SC and suddenly we were at the front of the queue before a convention for the game becomes up heavy demand.

I don't even have a passport so a no go for me but for those who want to and have the scratch to blow, enjoy!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I completely understand. Like i said, 200 bucks is a lot of money, and youre right, it does alienate the average joe. You also have to think were paying for 2 days at the LA convention center with maybe 2-3k people so the cost kinda makes sense. Theyre going to livestream everything so at least thats something for your average joe. I will be honest, you are right as this seeming like an event for the "elite" aka concierge or someone with enough money, which creates my bias from exclusivity.

Not just you, but for anyone else reading, how do you feel CIG could have handled this better?
I'd add a lower tier:
Normal tickects 40 bucks per day, 70 if you buy both, or something along those numbers feels more reasonable. If it's already at a large venue, why paywall so hard? Let the masses in. Make em feel like they can afford the entry, even if in the end some can't afford the trip, but at least they can feel included.
Keep the 200 usd as semi-premium ticket option, let's call it the warbond edition, where if you want to pay more, maybe you get priority seating, a printed warbond, and some more merch or skins or something.
I'm actually surprised the premium VIP tickets are "only" 300 when the peasant tickets are 200, I've expected those to be something way more exclusive, like in the 500-1000 range. Bump those up in price to compensate, they will sell out in seconds regardless.

DO we know what's included in the goodie bag you get with the ticket? If you get a ship with an exclusive skin and a tshirt for your 200 it would make more sense I guess...

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Am going. Snagged a VIP ticket. Feels good.

I wish you all the best of luck in your efforts to acquire these exclusive tickets. just keep hitting f5 and pay attention every step of the way. I started at 12pm on the dot as did most other people and eventually got a ticket 17 minutes after they went on sale (so this is all assuming it will go the way it just did) . VIP tickets sold out in mere seconds, however if you go onto the "extras" page in the store and under the categories select "event tickets" you will see the two ticket options. VIP will almost certainly say unavailable and sold out. HOWEVER if you keep refreshing the page, you know, F5 until you bleed, that VIP ticket unavailable button turns into a add to cart button. DONT FUCK UP AND F5 on accident and overshoot the add to cart button like i did once.

1687975821310.png

Once its in your cart and you hit place order it will give you an error:

1687975587807.png

F5 the place order button to death. You click it, it brings up a TOS menu, you have to scroll down to accept the terms before you can go further. Once you do that, you'll probably get errors. Keep up the F5 battle, you gotta be dedicated. What happens is people end up with things in their carts and for some reason or another they fuck up and the ticket goes back into inventory. Having it in your cart does not reserve it from what i understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?