Coming changes to the weapon gimbal system

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
So last night I watched BoredGamer before going to bed. He had a video up about the coming changes to the ship flight system
Ship Flight & Combat updates
At 5:54 he mentioned that in the future gimbals will no longer affect the size of the attached weapon negatively.
So a gimbaled weapon in an S3 slot will still be S3.
I just imagined my Corsair with 4 gimbaled S5s... brutal... :-)
Anyhow, I hadn't heard that one before so I figured I asked the guys that went to CitizenCon if that's for real.
That gimbal minus the cost thing.
If there's no other factors to consider then no one in their right mind will go fixed weapons anymore.
Especially with the coming of the close combat / knifefight Master-Modes.
Every addidional degree you can hit from counts, right?
So where's the catch?
Or did good ol' BoredGamer get that wrong in the first place?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
There is a catch, weapon damage will be reduced. From what I've been able to find in Spectrum it seems the damage will be reduced somewhere between 20-50%.
Considering the slow projectile velocity for S5s, with their damage getting reduced 20-50% when gimbaled, this change to gimbals could hurt the Corsair. However, when it is a pilot controlled remote turret (like on the Freelancer and Spirit) it is my understanding the damage reduction is not to be applied.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Thanks for the clarification Deroth.
It would still be interesting to know if that damage reduction is due to a reduced rate of fire in gimbaled mode or due to other factors.
A reduction in rate of fire would at least keep you from wasting ammo on a balistic weapon.
So it would make your precious reserves last longer by making every shot count. Well in theory at least.
It's not that I have too hard of a time to miss my target even with gimbals on. :-)
Technically speaking I'd assume that the gimbals lead to a bit more spread donthe line. After all the weapon is not stabilized against the ship's hull but sitting on an axis.
Oh well, I'm looking forward to how that pans out anyway.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I heard that the larger the weapon you put on the gimbal, the slower the gimbal will aim.
Well, that kinda makes sense too.
I can imagine that little puck creaking and slaving under the weight of that massive AD5B spitting out depleted uranium slugs.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Anyhow, I hadn't heard that one before so I figured I asked the guys that went to CitizenCon if that's for real.
That gimbal minus the cost thing.
Genuinely, if you were watching the stream then you probably had a better chance to hear this kind of detail. There were more than a few TEST in attendance but most of us were involved on the community side of the house. I'm slowly catching up on the presentations so if this comes up I'll bring it back to this thread.

Slower rate of fire has been described as one of the tradeoff's, along with gimbal tracking speed. I.E. if your skills are good with whatever input you are using, fixed could outperform gimbal. If using the gimbals is better for your skill level, it will mean slower TTK.

I'm interested in knowing if the penalties turn off if you lock the gimbals... we will see!

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
In short, if your aim is still good enough to get you piss inside the toilet bowl, you need another beer? Cheers!
OK, that explanation was simple enough.
Get wasted, buy gimbals.
Get more wasted.
Once you hit youself go sleep it off.
Done and done! :like:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Rectally plucked in-lore explanation: Varipuck mounts siphon power from the feed to the weapon depending on the mass of the weapon (More mass takes more power to move), thus necking down a size is still a viable strategy to improve acquisition speed and shot capacity. Could work...

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
So in other words: we'll see when we get there.
And then we're gonna test the heck out of it.
I'm game... ^^

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Interesting and I've only recently CCU'd my old Connie away. The intention with that one was always to swap those S4 pucks out for fixed s5's when we finally could but being taken out by a lone Arrow was the last straw and the the Connie had to go.

Could this gimbal change have saved it? Probably not I was running 4 gimbled s4's at the time there would not have been much difference. Might have been able to have one-shot the Anvil with 5's but I'm doubting it.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Well that's true.
Connie alone against a nimble small target will get it's ass kicked quite literally.
Gimbals wouldn't have help in that case and they will not in the future.
That's what (hopefully) turret blades will help with. Or AI crew.
Love my Taurus still though.
Then again, I'm likely to jump away from a fight if my cargo hold is full so as long as there's no Quantum dampening at play I'm safe... :-P

Forgot your password?