[CONCERN] What if he was right?

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
What if Derek Smart was actually right? That CIG is going to flop before launch? I'm not one to believe his tripe but you have got to admit this is starting to be backed by some compelling theories.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snh7pg

Full Reddit thread:
https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3m8try/breaking_news_all_the_more_proof_as_to_why_you/

I mean, I'm all for supporting CIG, but damn what if this is legit happening...

PS. Actually serious about the concern tag here for once.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
3-4 people getting fired in a company of that size is nothing. Also if CIG needs more money, they can just do a ship sale and they fill their reserves. Derek Smart is a piece of shit, lie spreading, troll that must not be taken seriously under any circumstances.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I think we should follow reddits new rule. No news about DS. He is toxic, and salty about his own miserable failed games.

To your concern. Do not worry, DS is making accusations left and right.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Well, I liked James Pugh. He seemed cool and I liked his interviews. At the same time, if these people fucked up they should be let go. DS is talking out of his ass and this is clear to me from specific terms that he uses. Regardless, he seems to be getting some information out of CIG. People at CIG should know better than to feed the beast.

TexasSkulls

Identifies as an Aurora Missile
Donor
Jul 18, 2015
RSI Handle
TexasSkulls
There's always the possibility that something fails, whether it's brand new or has been in existence for a while. We have to remember that we aren't necessarily just customers buying a product; we're also backers, i.e. initial investors. With backing something in its early stages comes the risk that it fails before it's even "finished". Star Citizen will also face many monetization questions even after launch, just like any game would.

BUT, you have to consider the sheer scale and excitement behind Star Citizen. Consider its potential. With that type of potential and this sort of buzz behind something, I doubt CIG would have much trouble looking for "real" outside funding if needed. We back the game as investors, and for our contributions we get "ships" and such. If CIG really needed extra funding that couldn't be addressed by selling us more ships, I'm sure there's plenty of investors out there with "real" money that could back CIG, either as lenders or investors (getting pieces of revenue/ownership instead of ships, of course).

EDIT: And downsizing, whether true or not and happening now or later, was always going to happen. That, or they start development on a new game. They have a workforce that is well beyond what's needed to maintain a released game, even with new content being rolled out. They're staffed for initial development right now, so as things get finished, it's entirely possible that certain jobs are no longer needed.

They may be downsizing now to control costs better, and all of this could be normal, or they could be downsizing because of funding issues, but either way I have faith that CIG can and will survive, even if it means securing outside funding. Or all of this is BS, and CIG is perfectly healthy...

Who knows what's actually going on over there. While I acknowledge a level of risk in backing something this early on, I have a great deal of confidence that they're fine over there at CIG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soven Taliesyn
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Well, I liked James Pugh. He seemed cool and I liked his interviews. At the same time, if these people fucked up they should be let go. DS is talking out of his ass and this is clear to me from specific terms that he uses. Regardless, he seems to be getting some information out of CIG. People at CIG should know better than to feed the beast.
Wasn't James Pugh, one of the suspected of feeding DS information?

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
evidently Lisa got a job offer from sony and properly resigned with 2 weeks. That seems entirely unrelated, yet Derek Smart wants to claim her as a casualty of mismanagement and proof of a collapsing company. he's framing the narrative and using unrelated events as support FOR that narrative. we'll probably never learn the truth about James and Alyssa because CIG can't comment on it, and Derek knows that his narrative won't be able to be disputed.

Reactions: Space Monkey

TexasSkulls

Identifies as an Aurora Missile
Donor
Jul 18, 2015
RSI Handle
TexasSkulls
evidently Lisa got a job offer from sony and properly resigned with 2 weeks. That seems entirely unrelated, yet Derek Smart wants to claim her as a casualty of mismanagement and proof of a collapsing company. he's framing the narrative and using unrelated events as support FOR that narrative. we'll probably never learn the truth about James and Alyssa because CIG can't comment on it, and Derek knows that his narrative won't be able to be disputed.
Taking this a little further, it should be sort of expected to see people leave CIG. CIG has brought together top talent from across the industry, and usually top talent gets poached by competitors. Google, Microsoft, Apple, they all poach from each other, just like Sony might've poached Lisa from CIG. Bottom line is either they have a huge passion for Star Citizen and want to see it through, or they get perhaps a higher-paying offer from someone else and bolt. It's normal.

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
There's always the possibility that something fails, whether it's brand new or has been in existence for a while. We have to remember that we aren't necessarily just customers buying a product; we're also backers, i.e. initial investors. With backing something in its early stages comes the risk that it fails before it's even "finished". Star Citizen will also face many monetization questions even after launch, just like any game would.
Even CCP had some issues several years down the road and they were a well established. Not pointing out their own ACTUAL errors still receive criticism from time to time.

We know it's in early stages and just need to keep in mind that as early investors that anything can go wrong. But, they seem to be making great strides and are really good at keeping everyone informed about almost everything. They can be pretty vague about things at times. Who wouldn't be when you want to surprise people with things. That and they wouldn't want everything out there for other people to use before they even get their own game running. But, even then they still take the time to let us know what's going on on a weekly basis. Never seen anyone else do that.

TL;DR: This games going to be awesome and haters gonna hate.

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
Taking this a little further, it should be sort of expected to see people leave CIG. CIG has brought together top talent from across the industry, and usually top talent gets poached by competitors. Google, Microsoft, Apple, they all poach from each other, just like Sony might've poached Lisa from CIG. Bottom line is either they have a huge passion for Star Citizen and want to see it through, or they get perhaps a higher-paying offer from someone else and bolt. It's normal.
Indeed. To us it's something we're excited for. To them, it's just a job. No different than if any of you were picked up from a competitor or if someone in the company did what they weren't supposed to. Maybe they got caught screwing in the office. Who knows. Not our business.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
Think we should wrap up this thread now, pointless accusations and bullshit [ ] Concern [✓ ] No Concern
I'm just bringing it up for discussion is all, chill your tits salty lake.

Maybe there is no concern needed, still worth the discussion. Yes DS is generally frowned upon but we shall see. If it turns out he's right though, it will be an interesting week for sure.

Anyway, I had steak salad tonight. It was tasty.

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
Look let me tell you about DS

He uses Fear, Misinformation, and will always weasel his way in just to take all the credit just so he can say "He is the savior" or some shit like that.

He lied about his PHD (IN DEREKTOLOGY), he weaseled his way into Alganon just to steal some source code, there was even a story when a guy worked on some animations and derek didn't bother paying him and when the guy responded to pay up he had the gall to call him a terrorist and planned to sue him.

People come and go in the gaming industry, there is nothing special about that. Yes it's sad people we liked left/got fired but that is the way the world works, there may be some set backs but it happens. Regardless come citizencon good chance your all going to forget about this and talk about how awesome the gameplay was. I doubt CR is low on cash, and even if he is nothing like a LTI ship sale to get them back into the game, not to mention when citizen con comes you will see an increase in pledges

people will begin to believe the game can be made, and it will hurt a certain warlords ego along with manzes. You have to be patient and know that this setback will not affect the course of SC.

Forgot your password?