Constellation Class...

Jar'Gon

Admiral
Jul 14, 2018
RSI Handle
Crusade
Hey Fellow TEST Citizens,

I wanted to share my quick opinion on the Constellation series and see if I am the only one who feels this way.

I think the outside of the Constellation is absolutely stunning. The whole idea of it being loved by smugglers and merchants I can totally see. The utilitarian/workhorse feel I think is totally there. Upon entering using the personnel lift into Section B, I think it is very well designed; Section A as well.

But moving to Section C, I honestly think they missed the mark and could have done better. The entire room is dominated by the cargo bay with only catwalks to go around it. If it weren't for the side airlocks, I don't think there would have even been a purpose for the catwalk. From a role playing perspective, if you dock at a station using one of those side airlocks, anyone you bring on board will be able to see your cargo as well. Not to mention if you were to open that cargo lift in space, the entire section will be decompressed. The only upside I think is if you can stack cargo to the ceiling.

I just think it is a poorly designed space. Looking at the Phoenix variant, I would probably prefer that floor plan if there was a more utilitarian interior design option with it.

As I'm writing this, I just came up with an option I think would be even better: Have a small room in the middle with a door that gives you access to the cargo bay but fill the rest with living space or walkways. Maybe move the table area back there.

Wow that was longer than I intended but anyway, full disclosure: I have only flown a Constellation in the PTU and otherwise have only seen video walkthroughs and pictures. I will also likely still get one with in-game currency just for the reasons I mentioned in the second paragraph, or my desire to own every ship in the game, but earned through in-game currency.

Opinions?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
The problem with the constellation andromedia and aquila is that it is more of a starter multicrew ship trying to fill all roles and be as versatile as possible. They sacrifice astetics so they can load it to the max as fast as possible. Also the cargo bay being in the lift fashion is to accomidate for rovers/ground vehicles primarily and you need a pretty large opening for that. They could have done a ramp style in which yes i completely agree with you on that but then it would look like most other ships and wouldnt be as uinque.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I agree with Sirus, the big issue is the Connie tries to do a ton of things at once and is not particularly great at anything. Also, the ship is not designed as smuggler, so having the airlocks there is not an issue unless you are a smuggler, in which case you should have gone with a caterpillar, which is basically made for it.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
The Constellation Andromeda is CR's Millenium Falcon. I don't know what to think about any of the ships since Todd Papy basically said that unless you have a capital ship, don't expect to carry enough fuel for more than 5 minutes of QT. At this point, all these ships are about as useful to me as a Saturn V.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The connie is an old ship in star citizen terms and it shows. All the early ships where multifunction because they thought they would design less ships that way. As time has shown more ships means more cash. I agree they could start again but if you do not like it go for something else there are enough ships waiting as is.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I honestly like most of the interior design of the Andromeda. It has all the functionality needed to be a multi crew ship, with beds, shower, toilet and eating area separated from the cargo area. The cargo area seems practical in that it has a whole lift that allows not only a rover in but also quick access to cargo for loading/unloading. The catwalk reminds me of the catwalks you find in a lot of military ships and is functional. And while it does try to do a lot and does it average at best its a great size being at the smaller side of medium ships. This is especially apparent when you attempt to do similar things in the 600i like landing at some of the smaller outposts. As for smuggling who says the container has to match whats in it. Its already said that you can use special containers to hide or fake their contents.

And while it does have some annoyances like the horizontal strut in the middle of the view over all I am happy with its performance so far when doing trade routes and I look forward to functional turrets for its combat capabilities.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I love the Connie, it's one of my favorite ships. I'll probably spend a huge amount of time in it.

As for the cargo hold, I like that it's so utilitarian. It can hold the max amount of cargo. I really don't care what the cargo bay looks like, I'll be sitting in the command center which is stunning.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
My only beef with the connie series is the lack of turrets for a ship thats supposed to be able to fight of fighters. Its main weapons are fixed facing forward which is really bad

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My only beef with the connie series is the lack of turrets for a ship thats supposed to be able to fight of fighters. Its main weapons are fixed facing forward which is really bad
I saw it differently - If I max out my mav thrusters and empty the cargo hold I can't think of a reason why the Connie shouldn't be fairly nippy, an empty cargo ships mav thrusters should be pretty strong...

Look at the Falcons more maneuverable moments:

Running from that star destroyer and in the battle of Endor that thing really gets thrown around.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Thanks for that! I love the Falcon!

I was so pleased they wrote the ship into the new trilogy as if it were a continuing character. I'm much more emotionally attached to it than I ever was the droids. And I gotta say, that clip above is not complete without this scene, which I think ranks up there with the chase through the asteroid field. Coming up with stuff this original, just grows the legend of the Falcon so nicely, it makes me wanna cry like a little boy who got what he wanted for Christmas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sarFZJl3h0

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

I was so pleased they wrote the ship into the new trilogy as if it were a continuing character. I'm much more emotionally attached to it than I ever was the droids. And I gotta say, that clip above is not complete without this scene, which I think ranks up there with the chase through the asteroid field. Coming up with stuff this original, just grows the legend of the Falcon so nicely, it makes me wanna cry like a little boy who got what he wanted for Christmas.

Thats cool - I've yet to see TFA although I have seen TLJ.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I actually love the connie, except for the fact that the merlin isn't launchable yet so that whole area feels like a waste of space, which mildly irritates me. Given what you want, you'll probably like the phoenix variant (:fingers_crossed:).

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We all need to pray for NaffNaff. Bobbie, go get yo'self to the public library and pick up both films, Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

Repent, sinner!
I... It's all Jar Jars fault!

I didn't see episode 2 or 3 either! There, I said it.

Damn it all, I just didn't know how to feel about Jar Jar... kinda liked him, kinda hated him... I at that moment knew why Return of the Jedi was not my parents favourite SW film. Binks was to me what the Ewoks were to that generation of adults, and I didn't even realise until that episode of Spaced where Bill 'Bilbo' Baily points out the comparison to Simon 'Tim' Pegg. At that moment it all made sense.

Damn it Binks.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yeah well, that was and still is the most common complaint: Lucas wrote episode 1 for kids, ostensibly because he wanted to add a new generation of SW lovers. while that does seem to have worked, he did offend his base by not writing for them. Despite there is plenty of great stuff in episode 1 (like the best light saber combat ever) there is this jabbering moron. . .

So what I can't get is why so many who wanted more complex and rewarding story, have turned their noses up at Last Jedi. I've watched it five times now and it delivers more each time. I think the folks should give it more a chance than they have and stop worrying about the PC elements, the casting of a woman in the lead role, etc. It is great storytelling no matter how you slice it.

When terrible things happen, it is normal and healthy to be depressed for a time. Just about the most terrible thing happened as is possible from Luke's standpoint, and seeing it wear on him is the point. So hang in. It gets better.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

Don't worry it blows up in the next movie!

Forgot your password?