Cool Little Experience

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Just had an SC moment.

As 3.18 is close (Relatively) i had blown all my auec on ...everything really. Gave alot of it to New Players to buy ships with
I had 3265 auec left.

I went out to do some ROC mining in my Nomad, after filling up on mostly dolivine I found a nice deposit of Hadinite......The first i had seen .
I was roughly 90% full as i suddenly got kicked from the server. Not a problem.
I loaded straight back in, sure enough there i was in my ROC.....i turned around .....My Nomad had vanished.

Now, i was on Daymar without the heatsuit (I was only doing a quick mine so i thought meh). I had 45min before i died from the heat.
I don't know how far away i was from Arcorp Mining 141 but it was about an Inch on the Starmap, which was quite far.

I suppose i could have put something in Global and could have been picked up but the opportunist in me seeking a little fun decided to try to navigate back before i died.
There may be an easy way to find and track locations in a ground vehicle? If so I don't know what they are.
I looked at the Starmap and through some form of caveman reasoning i assumed the sun was East to my location and i needed to head west, so i put the sun to my back and drove.

It took a long time!
btw...I HATE ROCKS! Daymar has not a single flat surface. You hit a rock every 10ft. Thank god for the self righting animation.
I noticed that the gap was shrinking but i had veered too far south, i adjusted accordingly. Constantly going in and out of the mobiglas to see if i had made any progress. Oh for a compass.

After a time, i had almost closed the large gap. Still i was off course. The sun began to drop in the sky and the temp lowered noticeably.

the sun was about to set.....offsetting my immediate death but erased my eastern marker with it.
The ground seemed to dip down and led me into a series of peaks and troughs. Obscuring the setting sun from my view altogether.
I was surrounded by valleys and in the darkness the weather had stirred up making me turn off my headlight as it blocked my view.

I drove around aimlessly having lost my orientation, I climbed the tallest mountain i could find. Struggling as it was littered with jagged boulders.

Then as i crested the highest peak. I took the best picture i have ever taken in SC.
Long Drive Home.png

Not exactly Hasgaha levels of fidelity ill admit. But for all the Area 18 or Microtech screenshots...some lights in the distance on a barren moon is by far the coolest.

I'm glad i chose to take the hard route, it was so much fun. And a lesson in making the best of a bad situation.
Anyway that's a cool little experience i had.

Genuinely curious if there is a way to see locations from inside vehicles??

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Genuinely curious if there is a way to see locations from inside vehicles??
Fun story..!! Sadly no, there isn't YET a way to do that from inside vehicles, and it has been loudly lamented since we've had them. This may be corrected with the map update that's been in work for a while.

Shortly after the Dragonfly was introduced, did a flight on it from GH to an outpost on Yela and back. No markers, obviously, so visual flight rules, lots of guessing and a bit of luck. This was before the gravlevs got nerfed to no longer 'fly'.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Good adventure, and great pic - those twinkly lights off in the distance! :) But I really want to know how it ended.

Did the ROC run out of fuel/charge/whatever it uses?
Did you make it to the base only to trip to death on the stairs?
Did you get stuck in the terrain?
Or did you finally make it back to Arcorp Mining 141, and somehow make it home from there?

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Good adventure, and great pic - those twinkly lights off in the distance! :) But I really want to know how it ended.

Did the ROC run out of fuel/charge/whatever it uses?
Did you make it to the base only to trip to death on the stairs?
Did you get stuck in the terrain?
Or did you finally make it back to Arcorp Mining 141, and somehow make it home from there?
I did make it back to Arcorp Mining
Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2023.01.13 - 23.17.18.56.png

However.....as i hadn't really planned what i would do if i made it back i was a bit stuck. I did try to sell my haul at the trade console...but it wouldn't find the roc no matter where i parked it... I'm assuming it needs to be in a ship? So i then tried to store the Roc at the vehicle spawn point. But it just kept telling me that i was blocking a landing bay. After a while and achieving what i set out to.
I decided that i would put a message in general chat stating that I'm leaving my ROC at Arcorp 141 on Daymar, with the door open...and its full of Hadinite.

Whoever wants it can come and take it. I then logged off. Like i said i could have arranged a lift to PO but i wasn't particularly bothered this close to a wipe

Forgot your password?