Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Massive jump in deaths now, this is terrible!

View attachment 21204
Tragic, and even worse, totally foreseeable & it even was predicted.

As the hospitals fill up, and as ICU's get clogged, people who need treatment (not just for COVID, but for anything) have to wait for a bed...and delaying treatment will have adverse consequences, such as death or prolonged illness.

I've heard rumors that some hospitals have added "vaccination status" to their triage forms...with the idea that if you aren't vaccinated, you are getting a lower priority for any treatment. Sucks, but it totally makes sense, why pour time and resources into somebody with a poor chance, when you can give a bed to a patient with a good chance?

EDIT: here is a good article about this phenomenon

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Tragic, and even worse, totally foreseeable & it even was predicted.

As the hospitals fill up, and as ICU's get clogged, people who need treatment (not just for COVID, but for anything) have to wait for a bed...and delaying treatment will have adverse consequences, such as death or prolonged illness.

I've heard rumors that some hospitals have added "vaccination status" to their triage forms...with the idea that if you aren't vaccinated, you are getting a lower priority for any treatment. Sucks, but it totally makes sense, why pour time and resources into somebody with a poor chance, when you can give a bed to a patient with a good chance?
One of the things that could happen out of this is that insurance providers are going to have the same kind of reaction. No vaccine? Higher premium. That's why I'm glad they recorded my insurance when I was vaccinated.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
THIS SHIT IS SO FUCKED UP OREGON AND WASHINGTON ARE IN REALLY BAD SHAPE EVEN THO THE VAST MAJORITY IS VAXXED AND TAKING A LOT OF PRECAUTIONS. THIS IS SO FUCKING SAD. THE HISTORY BOOKS WILL BACK ON THIS IN A THOUSAND YEARS AND HAVE NOTHING BUT HATE FOR HOW WE WENT ABOUT THINGS AND TREATED OUR FELLOW MAN.

IVE NOT BEEN THIS BUMMED OUT AND SAD TO BE A PARENT WHO HAS TO BRING CHILDREN UP IN A WORLD THAT IS SO FUCKED UP AND A SOCIETY WHO IS SO DISILLUSIONED.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8Ebxok20M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyVnzTLwZ3I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssT9dpHmtI8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49V-0a0EZE

This one is especially troubling and hits close to home with family in the system:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7wV5Gfee0

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 20th of August:

- World: 210,426,282 confirmed cases and 4,409,707 confirmed deaths.

- World: Over 9,000 cases linked to the 8 games of the Euro 2020 Football tournament held earlier in 2021 which were included in the UK governments Events Testing scheme.

- New Zealand: Outbreak spreads to Wellington with cases currently standing at 31.

- US: Apple postpones returning to the office as cases in the country continue to spike.

- US: Three fully vaccinated senators test positive for COVID-19

- US: Researchers discovered the gate the virus uses to enter cells, opening the way for further treatments: "We essentially figured out how the spike actually opens and infects. We’ve unlocked an important secret of the spike in how it infects cells. Without this gate the virus basically is rendered incapable of infection."

- US: Drug regulator investigates Moderna vaccine as reports suggest the rare heart swelling side effect may be slightly more frequent than with the Pfizer alternative.

- UK: Wales, and over 50 cases linked to a music festival.

- UK: Approves Antibody treatment Ronapreve, which is a rebadged Regen-Cov which was one of the treatments given to former president Trump when he caught it while in office.

- UK: Northern Ireland sees record high new daily cases.

- India: Approves worlds first DNA vaccine called ZyCoV-D, which has suppresses 66% of symptomatic infection.

- Australia: Sydney extends lockdown until at least the end of September and implements a curfew.

- Sri Lanka: Announces nationwide lockdown.

- Vietnam: Sees record high new daily cases.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, this is a new wrinkle...Orlando is asking people to conserve water, in part due to the demand for making oxygen for treating COVID patients...I hadn't expected this.

First they wanted me to wear a mask, and now they don't want me to water my lawn? We might as well be living under the Taliban /s

And here is where we get to, I suppose.

The parts of the world that couldn't do anything about the situation in the first place watch the richest most powerful nations on the planet start to struggle, not because they can't throw money at the issue there is still a pile of that, but because there is a finite limit to local resources when choosing to go it alone in the face of a global issue which requires a global response.

Still, this is the path a few took and the rest of us were lead down. Let's see where it takes us.

In other COVID news:

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 21st of August:

- World: 211,284,900 confirmed cases and 4,421,844 confirmed deaths.

- Australia: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Australia: Hundreds arrested following Lockdown protests in Melbourne and Sydney.

- Australia: Opens up vaccination to all over 18's as long as they are willing to take the AstraZeneca vaccine and do not have some specific health issues.

- France: Continues to see demonstrations against COVID precautions and the Health Pass.

- Vietnam: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Vietnam: Witnesses a spate of panic buying as cases continue to climb.

- Afghanistan: Following collapse of government vaccination drive has all but ground to a halt and infection rate is high and rising.

Reactions: Vavrik

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
And another one bites the dust...

What a boomer...he wrote and sang a parody called "Vaxman" (to the tune of the Beatles "Taxman") and sang it on the radio (what is that thing called "radio"?) but didn't post it on TikTok or even YT...what a loss to humanity /s
Before he fell ill with the virus, Valentine had spoken out against mask mandates and written a parody of The Beatles’ song “Taxman” called “Vaxman” mocking the preventative. He sang it on the air.
“Let me tell you how it will be, and I don’t care if you agree, ‘Cause I’m the Vaxman, yeah I’m the Vaxman,” he sang. “If you don’t like me coming round, be thankful I don’t hold you down.”

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 22nd of August:

- World: 211,721,161 confirmed cases and 4,429,457 confirmed deaths.

- World: Research on 1000 patents who were placed in the "awake prone position" where they were laid on their stomach and oxygen was administered via the nose indicates when this laying position was used it lead to less severe illness, fewer going on to need mechanical intubation intervention and fewer deaths.

- Australia: Sees record high new infections, prime minister indicates Lockdown measures will not be relaxed until at least 70% of the population has been immunised. “You can’t live with lockdowns forever and at some point, you need to make that gear change and that is done at 70%,”

- New Zealand: Delta outbreak climbs to 72 active cases, causing some to call the countries strategy in to doubt in the face of this potent new variant.

- UK: Scientists study halving the dose used in boosters to allow vaccine doses to be spared for the rest of the world.

- UK: To roll out antibody tests to up to 8,000 citizens. Anyone who wishes will be sent a PCR test and any of those who test positive up to 8,000 people will be sent an antibody test: "The rollout of this antibody testing study will help us achieve this and could play an important role in the battle to keep the virus under control."

- Israel: Launches antibody testing for the under 12's.

- Sri Lanka: Launches Vaccination Week to target hesitancy: “These people have forgone the vaccine owing to their personal reasons and several misconceptions. This is the very reason as to why the number deaths has gone considerably high. The majority of victims are of unvaccinated people above 60, hence, the coming week will be dedicated mainly to vaccinate the 60 plus age group in the country.”

- South Korea: Confirmed more Moderna vaccines to speed up the immunisation programme: “In response to our request to speed up and expand the vaccine supply, Moderna informed us that it will supply 7.01m doses by the first week of September,”

- Iran: Sees record high new daily deaths.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Here in Victoria we crossed the *200 days in lockdown* milestone a while back.

Everything is wonderful.
I was going to chime in and say your lock downs are stupid, but then I saw the chart, and yup, its going parabolic here

1629686149095.png

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 23rd of August:

- World: 212,182,554 confirmed cases and 4,436,988 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Government urged not to allow next round of PPE contracts to go to a part of China or companies which work with that part of China which uses enforced labour of prisoners in its factories...

- UK: Meat industry has a staggering 14,000 vacancies due to COVID and Brexit stalling the flow of international workers, and giving current workers a change to revaluate and is in talks with the Government to use the enforced labour of prisoners to fill the gaps in industrial Abattoir factories...

- UK: Orders an additional 35 million Pfizer doses.

- US: Pfizer vaccine gains full approval.

- US: New York mandates full vaccination for school employees, and Pentagon indicates it is also to mandate full vaccination for military personnel soon.

- China: Reports no new locally transmitted cases in the last day.

- China: A seemingly baseless Conspiracy Theory has taken hold in the country that COVID-19 was created in a lab in the US, in Marylands Fort Detrick military base, which was apparently formerly the centre of the USA biological warfare programme and has labs working with bacterial and viral illnesses. Reports note efforts to amplify this theory have been enhanced in the run up to the next Origins Investigation report being released.

- Morocco: Expands vaccine drive to those between the ages of 12 to 17.

- Vietnam: Soldiers to be mobilised to oversee lockdown in Ho Chi Minh city.

- Brazil: President Bolsonaro asks health minister for date to end use of Face Masks as a COVID prevention measure.

Forgot your password?