Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I don't have kids or friends with kids in school. Could you imagine being in school during the pandemic though? Mannnnn, it's gotta really suck.

The headlines of falling cases are encouraging but from the ground it still looks like loads of people are getting sick all at once... Either I'm just in a hold-out zone and it'll start to drop soon or those headline numbers are no longer looking at the big picture...?
I think its difficult for all the news agencies to paint an accurate picture, but I would hope they're doing the best they can.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Tuesday 18th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 331,475,550 Global Deaths 5,548,410

- US: U.S. Confirmed 66,498,299

- US: US inmates sue over unapproved Covid treatment

- UK: Boris Johnson: nobody warned me No 10 party broke rules

- UK: UK records highest number of deaths since February

- UK: Covid contract to Cummings friends ruled lawful

- UK: Scotland to lift most remaining Omicron Covid restrictions

- France: Calls for French MP to resign after announcing Covid protocol from Ibiza

- Vatican: Vatican secretary of state and his deputy test positive for Covid-19

- Poland: Poland expects daily cases to top 60,000 by mid-February in 'fifth wave'

- Hong Kong:
Hong Kong to cull thousands of hamsters after Covid found on 11

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Uh, exactly who in the UK is responsible for making the rules and regulations that the rest of ya'll have to follow?
Apparently it's not the PM. Or he doesn't have enough brain cells to put "The public can't do this, maybe I should actually set some kind of a good example" together.
He is the Prime Minister, which makes him a powerful example of how the rest of you should behave... Sorry ranting. Apparently he doesn't have the required neurons (which actually makes him disabled?)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Uh, exactly who in the UK is responsible for making the rules and regulations that the rest of ya'll have to follow?
Apparently it's not the PM. Or he doesn't have enough brain cells to put "The public can't do this, maybe I should actually set some kind of a good example" together.
He is the Prime Minister, which makes him a powerful example of how the rest of you should behave... Sorry ranting. Apparently he doesn't have the required neurons (which actually makes him disabled?)
No need to apologise for ranting, as Roy Walker always said "Say what you see".

The defence of "I thought it was a work thing" is also, if true, void as well. At the time people were not permitted to meet in socially distanced groups even in the work place, most of which were closed with Furlough in full swing - outdoors you were only allowed to meet one other person, socially distanced, in a public space. You couldn't even meet people in your own garden. Either way, if it's lies it's lies, and if it's true it's still rule breaking.

There is a turn of phrase in the UK: "bang to rights". I can't see how it is any other way, unless the results of the pending official government investigation reveal something spectacular to weight it in the other direction.

I watch events with anticipation over steepled fingers.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Wednesday 19th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 335,465,548 Global Deaths 5,559,712

- US: U.S. Confirmed 67,824,455

- UK: PM announces end to all Omicron Covid restrictions in England

- UK: Millionaires ask to pay more tax

- US: US health official suspended over vaccine advocacy

- Czech Republic: Czech singer dies after getting Covid deliberately

- Netherlands: Hairdressers take the stage in Dutch Covid revolt

- Australia/Tennis guy: Djokovic has 80% stake in biotech firm developing Covid drug

- Bulgaria: Bulgaria reports highest daily tally of pandemic with 11,181 infections

- UK: PM announces end to all Omicron Covid restrictions in England

- Ireland: Ireland announces annual bank holiday to honour Covid victims

- Russia: St Petersburg detects record cases as Russia clocks over 33,000 daily cases

- Portugal:
Portugal to allow Covid-positive voters to leave home on election day

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Not for the squeamish (so, not for me...)

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
That includes all the hamsters in your forum signature Gif!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Very easy to be the pot that called the kettle black in this case. I can describe what would happen to them here in the US, but won't for the sake of civility. All of it "meets or exceeds the FDA's (minimum) requirements" The parenthesis are totally mine, the word they encapsulate is not.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Hong Kongers are a different breed from Mainland Chinese. They're not as....callous when it comes to animals, especially pets.

This will not go down well with the local population as this has all the markings of orders straight from Beijing.

Also Carrie Lam can piss off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Hong Kongers are a different breed from Mainland Chinese. They're not as....callous when it comes to animals, especially pets.

This will not go down well with the local population as this has all the markings of orders straight from Beijing.

Also Carrie Lam can piss off.
I know what you're trying to say, but it's not a valid answer to what I said - which is (in different language) on this side of the pacific, we aren't doing much better.

"We don't kill pet hamsters"... Don't kid yourself. They would if they thought the alternative is dead people. That's what's going on in China.

And honestly this is probably a hard, sad, but worthwhile experience for the kids to go through. It is immensely easier to deal with the death of a pet hamster than it is to deal with a parent, grandparent or other family member.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I know what you're trying to say, but it's not a valid answer to what I said - which is (in different language) on this side of the pacific, we aren't doing much better.

"We don't kill pet hamsters"... Don't kid yourself. They would if they thought the alternative is dead people. That's what's going on in China.

And honestly this is probably a hard, sad, but worthwhile experience for the kids to go through. It is immensely easier to deal with the death of a pet hamster than it is to deal with a parent, grandparent or other family member.
Not disagreeing with your post.

My post is more of a comment on that news story rather than a direct reply to yours. Not sure how I ended up replying to your post.....gonna go ahead and change it lol.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Not disagreeing with your post.

My post is more of a comment on that news story rather than a direct reply to yours. Not sure how I ended up replying to your post.....gonna go ahead and change it lol.
:o7:
Heh, no problem.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Thursday 20th of January 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 338,978,919 Global Deaths 5,569,279

- US: U.S. Confirmed 68,674,170

- World: How a misleading vaccine claim went viral

- US: Carhartt facing boycott calls over vaccine mandate

- UK: Patient spent four nights in A&E waiting for a bed

- UK: Hospital patients sent to hotel to free bed space

- UK: NHS England Covid absences fall amid signs staffing crisis is easing

- UK: Covid infections at record high among schoolchildren in England

- Austria: Austria creates Covid lottery with €500 prizes to woo vaccine hesitant

- Austria: Austria extends lockdown by 10 days

- Sweden: Sweden to relax isolation rules, tells people working from home not to take tests due to test kit shortage

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Hello, nurse!
The last paragraph states:
“The funniest thing about it all, really, is every time I’ve had it I’ve never been near a hospital. But all the time I’ve been working with Covid patients I’ve never got it,” she said.
Gee, I wonder if it is because everybody at the hospital is rigorously following COVID protocols/precautions, such as wearing a a mask? 🤔

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Gee, I wonder if it is because everybody at the hospital is rigorously following COVID protocols/precautions, such as wearing a a mask? 🤔
The truth comes out in the statistics, this is what they're for. There is emerging evidence from the NHS about the UK data... kind of hope this is true in the US, Canada etc. too: It certainly LOOKS like it in the US.

The number of people who died with no comorbidities in the UK over the last 18 months was a tiny minority of the total pandemic deaths like 16,000 or 17,000 or so people give or take. That's like on par with around 10% of all deaths attributed to the pandemic. The largest cohort of COVID-19 and nothing else deaths were the oldest age groups.

If you get what I just said - COVID-19 had other "helpers" in something like 90% of cases. Obesity and complications due to obesity figure high on the list.

Of those non COVID deaths during the same period, voluntarily not seeking health care was on top.

Personal conclusion is ... I'm not speaking about anyone but me ... need to hurry up on losing the next 30 pounds to get out of the fat people list.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 22nd of January 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 347,506,972 Global Deaths 5,588,406

- US: U.S. Confirmed 70,289,750

- US: Booster jab gives 90% Covid protection, study says

- UK: Call to delay compulsory vaccines for NHS staff

- UK: Covid vaccine given to male in hot tub

- Kiribati: Pacific island goes into first ever lockdown

- Hong Kong: Hong Kong leader defends Covid hamster cull

- WHO: Risk related to Omicron remains 'very high', WHO says

- Germany: Germany reports record seven-day incidence rate

- Poland: Poland reports record number of new infections

- Japan: Tokyo logs record daily cases for fourth consecutive day

- Ireland: Ireland lifts majority of Covid restrictions