Cryptocurrency world - Selling hashpower, mining, and making money

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
@Montoya could you susplain why/what's going to happen? Assuming this isn't normal behavior for a bubble pop?
From a purely trading perspective, the sharpest and fastest rallies in the equity markets always take place during bear markets.

The reason for this has to do with the sellers that wanted out, got out, leaving a vacuum to the upside.

It is always easier to rally higher after the supply has left.

Probably heading to 11k here, then we see how resistance kicks in.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
We're coming back baby! $10K today

I'd like a stable-ish $12K to $20k Bitcoin.
wishful thinking
In any event, early and pre Q3 2017 HODLr's are being rewarded

@Montoya could you susplain why/what's going to happen? Assuming this isn't normal behavior for a bubble pop?

It's best you just watch it TBH. The market reacted immediately to this hearing. And has continued to climb since.
I threw another 400 usd at crypto just before the litecoin jump and i got into it. So far ive made about 80 USD in the last few days so i'm happy. i still have alot to go to make up for the lost crypto i had from buying in december. I tell you i always pick the worst times to get into something.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I threw another 400 usd at crypto just before the litecoin jump and i got into it. So far ive made about 80 USD in the last few days so i'm happy. i still have alot to go to make up for the lost crypto i had from buying in december. I tell you i always pick the worst times to get into something.
That was a great choice!
I didn't move any of my positions, and I had 0 in LTC so I didn't really gain much... but VTC came back up strong today to where I stopped specifically mining for it. NiceHash payout in BTC still has some decent gains.

ADA on the other hand has stayed relatively stable, and got passed by LTC in the Market Cap segment, again, dropping to 6th place.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
the sharpest and fastest rallies in the equity markets always take place during bear markets

The reason for this has to do with the sellers that wanted out, got out, leaving a vacuum to the upside. It is always easier to rally higher after the supply has left.
Thank you

The first part nearly went over my head there lol I'm new to trading markets.

So this means that for the BTC that was sold off, it has already been bought by other parties and more is wanting to be bought and others are not so willing to sell so price goes up? Is it really that simple?

Could any sort of colluding price manipulation by the large exchanges be happening... in a substantially influential manner?
Until exchanges are regulated for the most part globally.. I am pessimistic when it comes to data from them.
I'm very optimistic however about crypto itself. But I wonder how real the numbers are that we are seeing now?

@zeddie
You went back to nicehash???? :anguished:

Reactions: DarthMatter

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Thank you

The first part nearly went over my head there lol I'm new to trading markets.

So this means that for the BTC that was sold off, it has already been bought by other parties and more is wanting to be bought and others are not so willing to sell so price goes up? Is it really that simple?

Could any sort of colluding price manipulation by the large exchanges be happening... in a substantially influential manner?
Until exchanges are regulated for the most part globally.. I am pessimistic when it comes to data from them.
I'm very optimistic however about crypto itself. But I wonder how real the numbers are that we are seeing now?

@zeddie
Markets are controlled all the time you get a whale who wants to push the price up causing Fear of Missing out(FOMO). The whale pushes to a certain point to start the rally and then from there sells off slowly pretty much putting road blocks along the way to make people stop buying and drive prices back down. the lower the volume the higher chance of this going on.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
@zeddie
yep.

It's getting me better rewards whilst being more stable than mining 1 coin, or mining pool hub. I was getting crashes ~1 time a day, sometimes multiple, sometimes none, but was quite unstable. I'm now getting about 1 crash every week at the most.

The "repayment" program is going on too for what I lost, but it's still "pending" for the past 2 weeks, so I don't know what's going on. I got an internal wallet to deposit into, which goes faster, and I can transfer that out to CoinBase for no fee whatsoever, so I think it's a good option.

I just extracted my reward of 0.01 BTC to CoinBase wallet instantly with 0 fees.

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
I am not the man himself, but I would like to throw in my 2 cents. I think that Bitcoin itself is a "bubble" in much the same way that dial-up was a "bubble". Bitcoin itself has many problems that newer blockchain currencies have addressed. Bitcoin Cash has worked toward fixing the transaction fee bloat, and Ethereum has added many new features that widen its appeal by opening up the blockchain to more record keeping than just coin transactions. These lead both of these "alt-coins" to be much more valuable long-term.
The only thing that Bitcoin has going for it is the name recognition that is inherent in it being the first cryptocurrency. Eventually, the market will work this out, and Bitcoin will fall to the back of the pack with other valueless alt-coins in much the same way that dial-up providers went from extremely popular to the state they are in now, just getting traded around between the ISPs that progressed to DSL, cable, and fiber. That being said, that time is not now. There is still money to be made in Bitcoin, not as a miner but as a trader. I'd wager that Bitcoin isn't even close to dying yet, probably still got a couple of years left in profits, but then again I tend to be optimistic about technology.
I don't really have much invested in crypto, just a very small amount of Bitcoin I mined back in the pre-$500 days that is stored in an offline wallet and a tiny amount of Ether. Off of my research into the top alt-coins and into history I want to get into Ethereum when I get a little $$$ saved up... before that I might set up my computer as a computing node for the Ethereum network to earn some side income. We shall see. Last time I tried to set up for Ethereum, I couldn't get it to work, but now I know more about command line programs so when I get home from my vacation, I will give it a go and probably post my results here... right after a few hours of SC. :)

Reactions: DarthMatter

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
The following is just my opinions and I may be incorrect at any point and probably am on many points.

For me, a kinda depressing update

The market is confusing me, when developing my white paper I became less confident in HONEST profitability of starting a mining facility "data center" style node with a complimentary new cryptocurrency venture. Without paid for solar power** and nearly free GPUs or cutting edge ASIC machines, the competition for easily liquidable coins/algorithms is too great. It was fantastic when nicehash went down. But when nicehash went back online... every tom, dick, and harry with 1 or more GPUs started up again and difficulty went back up.... it's not just because of nicehash but nicehash had an observable effect. While profitability is driven down by the nicehash effect, around 2 dollars a day or under per NEW GPU...

power costs will be increasing nationwide soon, Nevada for example is seeking a power increase. And we're in a pain in the ass spot for people like me because I don't want to buy a shit ton of old GPUs... let me explain.

Miners who are leaving the market, are (at least from what I see in Las Vegas) are selling their used GPUs to other miners at half retail costs or less. All the people who emailed or texted me about my 980ti's, when I asked, said they were also miners.
There's still miners wanting to get serious, convinced that the older gen GPUs will pay for themselves in a few months.
So they're buying them as cheap as they can buy them, and mining with them. It's a smart short term game plan.. but by the time 2 to 3 quarters go by, the market has changed to the point that you have all these new shitty GPUs bought dirt cheap mining away for bottom feeders. But it seems to me they'll barely have enough profit after breaking even to do anything but buying some more (but not enough) old GPUs in a never ending dog after it's tale cycle.. As a means of earning a regular income, cashing out most of earnings every month... there's much better ways to earn more reliable income than this with the way things currently are.
When profits were $6 to $12 a day per GPU... it was worth it.

About the new emerging ASIC machines...
I believe more coins will soft branch into a more asic resistant solution as companies build new asic machines for coins which had no previous asic solution. The problem is, because of the way the industry is, the barrier to entry as a professional business (not hobby level) is absolutely massive and the risk of developing and failing at a new cryptocurrency is substantial.

I'm sad to report, after spending time to developing a business model I was trying to get funded... I'm less confident now. It's not impossible, something might happen tomorrow which may make me ecstatic... but as of this moment in time.. I can't in good conscience try to convince an investor that a mining facility node at this very point in time.. is a good investment idea... now is the worst time of the cycle I think to do it if the building was already available.

And so... I still mine, but...I am not happy where things are right now.

**getting enough power offset is a considerable challenge. 330 watt panels systems are on average $3 a watt. and the space required to power enough ASICs and GPUs to make a node worth wild for 1 person to manage with enough to pay their salary and the business and property costs.. it's massive a amount of roof space. For a 1 million kw of power a year via solar panels... through all south facing panels on a 22.6 degree tilt.. in Nevada... at 600 Kw a year per panel (330 watt panasonic HIT).. that's 1667 panels... which needs an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 30,034 square feet. That's at least a $1,650,330 solar system. At a very aggressive target revenue of $15K to $24K a month for that available solar production (would still have to use local power grid for the night).... the solar panels alone would take over 9 years to pay off. Which wouldn't be too bad if the market and tech market was more predictable. But add in all the other costs.... including diminishing returns per cycle... it balloons that break even point way out there... it's still a business... but not the most lucrative business in the world.

And if downscaling that model, it's not lucrative enough for my desire. Even though $15K to $28K a month sounds like a lot... it's not after all the payments, costs, etc are deducted. Not to mention Unlce Sam having his dues from that.. which is quite a lot.

So.. I'm working on getting a real estate license and later a broker license after 2 years, while I'm in grad school.
My cryptocurrency idea I'll still work on the white paper for.. but... mining facility nodes popping up like Starbucks all over the nation...... my views on that I idea I had... has been severely tempered and dialed back.

Last edited:

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
@DirectorGunner This is one of the reasons the group of people I work with are all pooling percentages of our crypto profits and building out a mining facility. We all bring different aspects of the process that we have all become semi-experts in and want to create something that has significant footprint and hash power.

Now, again, doing these types of partnerships require a large amount of trust and work from parties involved. Luckily all of us are Army and are used to both as our daily lives revolve around that. If you want I'll keep you in the loop and I'd love to read your white paper.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
This is a fascinating journey watching this thread and the number crunching rooted in reality.

The whole concept of buying GPUs and making tons of cash is something early adopters got to benefit from.

Now that the crypto scene is largely mainstream, the difficulty levels are going squeeze out the smaller players that do not have some advantage like cheap electricity or very cheap GPUs.

The price of bitcoin is the other factor here, down around $6400 now, we are testing some important levels.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
@DirectorGunner , @Sethious , not sure if you saw this yesterday, but there is an interesting story (based on forensic evidence) that the Bitcoin prices may have been artificially manipulated.

I'm not saying not to do trade in crypto, it is just with an unregulated market (and some big players) you have to be careful about stuff like this and take it into account.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/technology/bitcoin-price-manipulation.html?hpw&rref=technology&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Here is a link to the actual paper:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3195066

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Bitcoin prices may have been artificially manipulated
"May have been"?

I called it as it was happening, I said Tether was being created from thin air and sold into the markets as the pop was taking place!

There is no oversight in the crypto world, if you can scam your way to billions of dollars, you do it! Which is what I suspect has been happening with Tether since the start.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Oh without question. I have a few people I know who straight up were involved with it, they make what I made off of it look like a random penny you find on the sidewalk. I want to have an actual facility still that can be converted and/or use as a data center.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I believe I did warn you guys a few times, that it is VERY VERY easy to get carried away during the short mining booms that happen maybe once a year - and that the other 11 months of the year are not so amazingly good! I've always kept mining as I believed in the "project" even when I was only just breaking even with electricity, or even making a small loss vs electricity (like now).

My advice, stick with it when you can, mine projects that you believe in and hold 50% of what you mine for the long term. It's worked nice so far!

I'm not worried, I've seen this all before several times over several years! :)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@DirectorGunner This is one of the reasons the group of people I work with are all pooling percentages of our crypto profits and building out a mining facility. We all bring different aspects of the process that we have all become semi-experts in and want to create something that has significant footprint and hash power.

Now, again, doing these types of partnerships require a large amount of trust and work from parties involved. Luckily all of us are Army and are used to both as our daily lives revolve around that. If you want I'll keep you in the loop and I'd love to read your white paper.
I wish you lots of luck! Sure I'll publish the white paper after my attorney reviews it and advises me.

Some thoughts about your scenario..... and unasked for opinions ... lol sorry... I'm passionate about this stuff.
One of the issues with new large party partnerships is that members tend to get excited and invest/trust without looking at realistic risk assessment and developing proper contingency plans. I personally wouldn't jump into a large partnership for the sole reason of having to sue if things go south and those who've invested more than me will likely get first whack at getting their money back. Leaving me in the wind or having less than I invested. Overgeneralizing ofc but for me there's too much risk when the funding is coming from many private parties. One high networth investor or a main funding source imo is best, especially with risky ventures like this. Which I know sounds counter intuitive

Another issue is the decision making process for managing the company. A democracy doesn't work, a board works but as far as controlling interests... even split of controlling interests is an absolute disaster. Say a husband and wife splitting controlling interest 50-50, if either disagree, the company is gridlocked. And that is the worst thing that can happen for the company. When structuring a business, it's paramount to do what's best for the company, not what's best or most convenient for the individuals involved. So, in light of that, a commonly accepted practice is that one person should have 51% controlling interest in the company. But there's also a large risk with that, as that person or entity with 51% controlling interest could essential (void of any contractual agreements) kick everyone else out of the company without fair compensation.

The scenario, is a catch 22 for the individual, but it's important to do what's best for the business, not the individual behind the business.

But we're of the same mind, I definitely would love to help setup a facility in Nevada. The local engineers who specialize in data centers and cooling / power solutions have been tied up for over a year, I've been asking around when prepping my bplan.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
I can talk to you about the plan that we have going forward on discord sometime. Basically division of investment, between infrastructure, set up and operations. Again, some we have a distinct advantage of having worked together and trust of decisions even if we don't agree with them.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
I finally read this thread (or most of it; skimmed through the late 2017 love fest after a few; same with the Jan/Feb 2018 shoulder crying) and I've decided to put my life savings into mining...

So I just bought 4,242 RSI Orions. I'll let you know how it goes *fingers crossed*

I'm kidding of course. In all seriousness though, I'm intrigued. It seems that mining might be a way to get value out of existing equipment (mine & wait for the next mania to sell), provided the gains per Kw aren't unreasonable. I currently have 2 1080ti's in a computer which due to my new baby spend waaaaaay too much time not playing star citizen. Thoughts?

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
He definitely needs to up his MW array before offering that out. A solar site was what we initially, and then we realize that just selling the power back to the grid was going to be more profitable until we reach a certain amount of miners.

Forgot your password?