Crytek vs CIG - Settlement Conference date set

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
settlement talks are usually confidential. If there was not a resolution, there probably won't be anything but a "we could not reach resolution at this time but are looking forward to continuing negotiations." If they are too far apart, they might hint at that...otherwise, expect crickets until a settlement is reached and the settlement will probably be "confidential" with neither side allowed to say anything about it except that there was one.
And you win the left winglet of a broken aurora!

Settlement conference held. A settlement agreement is not reached. The Court understands that the parties will continue their efforts to settle the case, and they may contact the Magistrate Judge’s CRD if they wish to schedule a further settlement conference.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
i m confused,
does this mean Crytek have to pay CIG 500k?
Nope, it means Crytek has to give 500k to the court, which they get back when the case ends. Or if they lose the case, and the court decided that crytek has to pay CiG for example 400k for legal fees, they will use that money to pay it.
Cig feels that they will win for sure, and wanted Crytek to show the money in case they do. They wanted 2.2mil but the court found that too prohibitive (as Crytek is in a bad place financially) so they lowered the amount to 500k.
If Crytek can't or don't want to put up the money, the case is over. Then I guess they could sue crytek for legal fees and such lol

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Ah, settlement talks is good, but I guess the big question is, where's Waldo?
And by Waldo, I of course mean Derek Smurf.
And by Smurf, I mean those blue little cartoon characters that speak in a whiny voice whilst prancing around half naked.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Im not sure if this is worth a new video, there really is not much to talk about.

Crytek has 30days to put up $500k bond and take it to trial, or settle before that, or toss the whole thing out.

I doubt after all this time they will drop the case.

A settlement seems like the logical path, but if there was one to be made, it would have been done by now.

It is possible that the new Crytek lawyers want to push this as far as possible so they can bill as much as possible.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Does Lior Leser still post on YouTube, or does he post somewhere else now? He doesn't really seem to have a lot of recent content on YouTube. Anyway, I'd love to hear his take on this, he used to do great livestreams and answer questions.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I see... so instead of forcing CIG to g
Does Lior Leser still post on YouTube, or does he post somewhere else now? He doesn't really seem to have a lot of recent content on YouTube. Anyway, I'd love to hear his take on this, he used to do great livestreams and answer questions.
Either Lior or Leonard French are solid commenters :)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Does Lior Leser still post on YouTube, or does he post somewhere else now?
With Lior, I think its a case of making real money vs making internet videos.

The amount of time it takes to research, record, edit and publish a video probably takes him half his day.

If he has actual real life lawyer work to do, then internet lawyering takes the backseat.

A few months ago he said that he got involved with free speech issues with some other volunteers, taking in paypal, patreon and others. I think that stuff probable took priority.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Lior as far as I know is in the middle of working up a case about Patreon, PayPal, youtube and some other big guns are working together in illegal ways against new businesses and individuals they don't like. It's highly political so I'm not gonna go in to it here.
I do miss his takes on this, his no-bullshit approach was quiet fun to listen to. Haven't seen him post a video in ages, and I'm subbed to both his channels.

Leonard is also cool, but he haven't touched on game related stuff in quiet some time, at least not anything I'd care about. I guess his paying audience has other interests than gaming.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
The discovery process is very expensive and time consuming. Not just from getting the requested data together, but having your people tied up reviewing it. It might be a heck of a lot cheaper to drop the suit. If they have a really good claim, they might push it, but if the case is weak, their lawyers should be convincing them to settle

sovapid

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2018
RSI Handle
sovapid

On July 18, 2019 the parties participated in a Settlement Conference before Magistrate Judge Alexander F. MacKinnon. While the settlement negotiations were productive, ultimately the parties were not able to settle the case during the Settlement Conference. However, the parties agreed to continue settlement negotiations in good faith moving forward.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
CIG vs Crytek court case: "NOTICE of Posting of Cashier's Check in Lieu of Surety Bond filed by Plaintiff Crytek GmbH. Deposit of funds, check no. 660001972, in the amount of $500,000 with the Clerk"

Crytek posted the 500k usd yesterday, so the case continues.
Edit: sry about the dark text on dark bg, dunno how to fix it

[edit] Ill just paste the text in white, problem solved - Montoya

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot your password?