Crytek wants to sue later, CIG says nuh uh

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
No clue but let's find out. I also think in the fairness of discovery we should also attempt to find the perfect beer to match to this new meal.
Oh, now you've done it... I have to go to the grocery store and get some wings for the grill...
Beer/Popcorn, Beer/Wings... You see the connection? But not those tiny wimpy chicken wings, this demands turkey wings.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Let’s be fair. Crytek might have assumed that Amazon would not directly license previous versions of CryEngine and only go with a full Lumberyard license and no previous versions. After all, it’s an older engine with some much newer engines out there available for use, including CryEngine V(5.4 being the latest). Why would any existing customer pay for another license of the same engine from a different company? Why would any new customer (new game) use an older engine? Again, from their perspective, it did not make sense.

Now, for better or worse, Star Citizen has been in the news a lot. I mean, not many games get mention in Forbes, Newsweek, etc. The most you might hear of them is from gaming magazines. If Star Citizen succeeded,it would be a HUGE feather in Crytek’s hat. ”look what our engine can do”. If it failed, well, that would be a botched development, not a problem with the Engine. After all, even the Alpha was very successful from an engine view. Star Citizen was a very much hoped for property designed to help lift the fortunes of Crytek. This is especially true of additional (free) development of the engine provided by CIG in the big fixes and improvements that came back to Crytek.

The loss of credit for the engine was a huge blow for them. That bruise, which must have really stung the execs, along with the logic of the first paragraph, must have really upset someone. They convinced themselves that there was something going on. Now, back when the Amazon people responded to them, the old lawyers may have tried to talk them out of it, or they saw a case where even if they won, they would not recover the monies being spent in litigation. Another group of lawyers convinced them to continue. At this time, they probably had themselves convinced that they had to win at least one point...so they could recover legal fees and to salve their pride.

anyway, the suit should (probably) never have been brought, but I am not a lawyer, so what do I know.

interestingly, Cryengine is no longer pay what you want, but a 5 percent revenue sharing model, in the case of SC, that would have meant about 13 million so far

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
the old lawyers may have tried to talk them out of it, or they saw a case where even if they won, they would not recover the monies being spent in litigation. Another group of lawyers convinced them to continue.
I have a feeling the new group of lawyers just saw billable hours.

Oh, now you've done it... I have to go to the grocery store and get some wings for the grill...
Beer/Popcorn, Beer/Wings... You see the connection? But not those tiny wimpy chicken wings, this demands turkey wings.
I do and I wonder when we can come over and enjoy wings and beer with you.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

"That is why Skadden stopped representing Ctytech"

Scoop of the century! Do you have some official sources? I mean... that's not unsubstantiated conjecture is it?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Let’s be fair. Crytek might have assumed that Amazon would not directly license previous versions of CryEngine and only go with a full Lumberyard license and no previous versions. After all, it’s an older engine with some much newer engines out there available for use, including CryEngine V(5.4 being the latest). Why would any existing customer pay for another license of the same engine from a different company? Why would any new customer (new game) use an older engine? Again, from their perspective, it did not make sense.
Well, even if not considering all the point that Crytech has take to the case and that has been pointly dismissed, this is still a bad move.
First of all Crytech should have know their own term of contract on witch they sold the License con CE to Amanzon, so they shoudl have kwno that Amazon could license oot CIG even the previus version fo the engine.
Second, if you are beaten to the ground on every single point you have bring to the court so far maybe a little check BEFORE bring even this point to the court should be a common sense behavior for e
every person.
Third: since Crytech is still a company (at least on paper) you they should know how marketing operation are conducted: CIG have the potention to bring in the Amanzon poket some big buck, so licensing them some older version of CryEngine for a simboliic amount of even free to allow them to, formaly, switch to Lumbiard is a freaking win solution, both for Amazon and CIG.
I'll exepct that a company owner consider this... but do to the actual state of Crytech may be I'm wrong...

Now, for better or worse, Star Citizen has been in the news a lot. I mean, not many games get mention in Forbes, Newsweek, etc. The most you might hear of them is from gaming magazines. If Star Citizen succeeded,it would be a HUGE feather in Crytek’s hat. ”look what our engine can do”. If it failed, well, that would be a botched development, not a problem with the Engine. After all, even the Alpha was very successful from an engine view. Star Citizen was a very much hoped for property designed to help lift the fortunes of Crytek. This is especially true of additional (free) development of the engine provided by CIG in the big fixes and improvements that came back to Crytek.
That is true, but a company like CIG, and any other company that work with a propertaty software on a big buck work also expect a suppoort form the producer of mentioned software. Since Crytech was (and still is) running on finacial problem and several programmer are fleeing them taht part of Crytech suppoort is, in fact, not possible anymore, so CIG looks elseware, to someone that maybe lack the software support (I doubt they need it anymore sicne they acquire lots ox ex-Crytech programmer) but offer something else.

The loss of credit for the engine was a huge blow for them. That bruise, which must have really stung the execs, along with the logic of the first paragraph, must have really upset someone. They convinced themselves that there was something going on. Now, back when the Amazon people responded to them, the old lawyers may have tried to talk them out of it, or they saw a case where even if they won, they would not recover the monies being spent in litigation. Another group of lawyers convinced them to continue. At this time, they probably had themselves convinced that they had to win at least one point...so they could recover legal fees and to salve their pride.
That is a terrible behavior for a company: legal action, everywhere in the world, cost a lots of money and take a lot of time, you have to be very un-responsable to use them as a stupid revenge method like a 6 years old child becouse "you don't play anyomre with me", especially on very poor accusation like Crytech has done.

Forgot your password?