Debate Youtube Channel [Please Help]

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Still there is stuff which can be interpreted as a plain lie, broken promise, inaccuracy or something which is subject to change (or CRs overly enthusiastic time plot)

Feature creep:
Everyone who backed after 2014 could have known the trastically expanded scope

But i think we shouldn't keep on discussing here
maybe i'm going to create a spreadsheet and open another topic for that.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Still there is stuff which can be interpreted as a plain lie, broken promise, inaccuracy or something which is subject to change (or CRs overly enthusiastic time plot)

Feature creep:
Everyone who backed after 2014 could have known the trastically expanded scope

But i think we shouldn't keep on discussing here
maybe i'm going to create a spreadsheet and open another topic for that.
Nahhh! This is TEST! Derailing threads is out specialty!

One of them, anyways.

Reactions: Michael

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
in the end its all about faith.
Do you trust CR or don't you trust CR to finish the game
(So actually they are a little bit right, we are some kind of "cult". We are some kind of religion and the other part is some kind of religion and cult too)
Along the same line of critical thinking: Do believe Bethesda will make a good Fallout game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you have faith CD Projekt Red will make a good Cyberpunk game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you think Bioware will make a fun Anthem game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you think CIG will make a good Star Citizen game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Glad to see so many cults around these days, I always believed we should have many options to choose from :D

Reactions: maynard and Michael

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Along the same line of critical thinking: Do believe Bethesda will make a good Fallout game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you have faith CD Projekt Red will make a good Cyberpunk game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you think Bioware will make a fun Anthem game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Do you think CIG will make a good Star Citizen game? You must be in some sort of cult.

Glad to see so many cults around these days, I always believed we should have many options to choose from :smile:
Fallout is definitly going to fail ...
Do you think a fantasy creature created us all? you must be in some kind of cult
Do you think its Elon Musk? -> cult
Montoya is a handsome guy? -> cult :)

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I don't think you can reasonably create an artificial time table for something like Star Citizen. It's such a large scale project whose ambition has continually grown. 10+ years worth of development could easily be imagined for a project of its size by anyone who understands game development, especially for an indie company.

However, as Montoya pointed out ... A lot of the current hesitation stems from the production of Squadron 42. A game CIG themselves have stated was making large progress in the past. A game whose date has been pushed back enough that they no longer give one, nor do they seem to talk about its progress all that much.

This will inevitably bring people to question whether CIG has what it takes to deliver on an even larger project such as Star Citizen. Personally, I think it's a reasonable question. And one that can be asked without blindly fan-waving CIG or hating on the project and calling it a scam.

I have a question for anyone who thinks Star Citizen is taking **too long** to release. I realize it's been long, it's been 6 years. That seems like a long time. But the question is, if you think it's been too long, what is your benchmark, what are you comparing "too long" to?

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
A lot of the current hesitation stems from the production of Squadron 42.
I dont know anybody that is giving them a free pass on that.

I remember going to Citizencon 2016, fully expecting something on SQ42.

It was not only me, but every single person I was with was saying WTF?

The thing is, I think its fairly obvious they had some major re-write or had to go back and re-do something fairly important that it added an extra two years.

What it was, we will probably never know unless they decide to come clean one day, but I assume it has to do with something changing in the PU that needed to be done first. They want SQ42 to be the doorway into the PU. The one relies on the other.

Reactions: Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The thing is, I think its fairly obvious they had some major re-write or had to go back and re-do something fairly important that it added an extra two years.
I think this is an accurate assessment. I talked to another (much smaller) game developer who also switched from Cryengine to Lumberyard, what he said was, "It's basically compatible, but there are very time consuming issues" without elaborating.
Both AWS and CIG had forks of Cryengine to start with, forks that were from different versions of the software. This kind of thing, what amounts to changes of software version mid-project can be fatal to a project. I've seen it many times.

Also, I think that CIG has a lot more developed than they have stable, but in some ways they put the cart before the horse. If the PU is dependent on SQ42, then that should be the development priority - but they don't seem to get paid very much for that.

AND I think most of the people who thing SC in general is taking too long, are mostly just impatient. They want to play the game NOW, not in 1, 2, 4 years. When the project was originally announced it was incredibly ambitious and forward thinking. This can be a bit of a problem, deciding what to put in the game when the technology isn't capable when you try to develop it. Then changes occur, and the technology is capable but not in the way you originally planned. I suspect, this was one of the primary motives for their relationship with Intel.

Yeah I still think this is really a 10 year project. When i look at other games from around the same date as the kickstarter, I don't see particularly more development. Elite Dangerous maybe, but they already had a platform - and they concentrated on simplistic mechanics, but produced a playable game. This is another area where CIG may have made a mistake: It's OK to offer game updates, after you release the basic software. But it is what it is at this point.

Reactions: Bambooza

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
just be sure to post your 'debate' threads in the Drama section, where they belong

Forgot your password?