• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
All of this being said, I'm so looking forward to when it becomes increasingly popular for programmers & developers to write their codes in such a way that the more cores & threads a system has available, the more efficiently the program can function. This would already be on the increase except that Intel keeps bribing people & companies to have their programs designed to function in more efficiently in linear than parallel. Which is the only true advantage area they still hold over their competitors, other than their insane reserves of funds available currently.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This is a typically useful TEST poll. Hope it's helped you decide!!

1588756562532.png

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
Wow, I'm surprised to read this cos I got the same mobo, upgraded to the same CPU last year from an i5 4670k, always had all 4 dimms populated with 16gigs, and now 32 gigs. All my Sata ports are filled, USB ports still work fine. It's now on it's 3rd GPU. Never had a single issue. Guess I got lucky, or it's a disaster waiting to happen lol.

How's the NVME to PCIe working out for you? I'm looking into that as a final upgrade to this system, is it worth it? Doesn't it use up bandwidth from the GPU pcie line?

As for a build, I'd go next gen intel. Still outperforms in daily generic use where you don't really even utilize 8 threads, let alone 16+, and is much less finicky to ram, bios and such....
But if you want to do many many things at once, like playing a game, encoding, streaming out, streaming in, browsing and watching a movie at the same time, sure, Threadripper all the way!
Or if your work depends on it, like running loads of virtual machines, than yeah, AMD is better value. Most things like video encoding still work better with higher single core performance, so it really depends on your use case.
The NVMe to PCIe setup "works" and I get the speeds but I have 0 PCIe lanes left. I have a professional sound card but can not use it as all 20 lanes are taken up by the GPU and the card.
If I was only doing 1 thing on my machine, Intel "might" be reasonable. But another thing that irks me is the extreme limitation on PCIe lanes with Intel.
As it is, I run Voice Attack, GameGlass, OBS (Recording and Streaming), and Star Citizen all at the same time. I also use Blender for 3D modeling. I have mostly AMD rigs everywhere except this current computer and my Dell PowerEdge T320 server in my apartment (and I am looking for ways to replace the ancient ivybridge xeon board/chip with a AMD Epyc).
My motherboard worked fine for about 5 years. And then I started getting BSODs from memory. They went away after changing DIMM slots. RAM passed memtest86 48hr testing.
USB ports have been failing randomly over the years. And now I am getting the difficulty booting.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
All of this being said, I'm so looking forward to when it becomes increasingly popular for programmers & developers to write their codes in such a way that the more cores & threads a system has available, the more efficiently the program can function. This would already be on the increase except that Intel keeps bribing people & companies to have their programs designed to function in more efficiently in linear than parallel. Which is the only true advantage area they still hold over their competitors, other than their insane reserves of funds available currently.
This is exactly what Vulkan will do. Another reason to get a Threadripper or other high thread/core count chip since Vulkan will spread the load out across all available cores and threads as well as GPUs. No need for SLI or Crossfire drivers since Vulkan has the ability built in to spread the load across multiple GPUs and they dont even have to be the same model or brand (AMD/Nvidia)

• Glorious

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The NVMe to PCIe setup "works" and I get the speeds but I have 0 PCIe lanes left. I have a professional sound card but can not use it as all 20 lanes are taken up by the GPU and the card.
If I was only doing 1 thing on my machine, Intel "might" be reasonable. But another thing that irks me is the extreme limitation on PCIe lanes with Intel.
As it is, I run Voice Attack, GameGlass, OBS (Recording and Streaming), and Star Citizen all at the same time. I also use Blender for 3D modeling. I have mostly AMD rigs everywhere except this current computer and my Dell PowerEdge T320 server in my apartment (and I am looking for ways to replace the ancient ivybridge xeon board/chip with a AMD Epyc).
My motherboard worked fine for about 5 years. And then I started getting BSODs from memory. They went away after changing DIMM slots. RAM passed memtest86 48hr testing.
USB ports have been failing randomly over the years. And now I am getting the difficulty booting.
Thanks for the info on the pcie stuff!
With what you are running, yeah, threadripper is the better and cheaper option! Good lick with your build!

As for the mobo, I guess you got a bad one then. At my old workplace they are still running the exact same mobos with zero issues (7machines), and I got two running at home. I bought one used ,that had some ram slot issues, but since I installed the matching 4x4gig corsair set, it runs fine. Never had an issue with gigabyte stuff, although recently I killed my gigabyte 750ti, but that was my fault for nudging it the wrong way while it was running, also probably shocked it lol

• o7
Forgot your password?