DIY Cockpit and custom controlls

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I've been thinking about using these 8" screens and these USB to VGA adapters then just putting my own buttons around. It will have to wait till I have an income though. You could totally use these screens with those cougar panels.
Those are the cheapest that I've seen, but the view area behind the MFD's is only 4x4", so there's a lot of wasted realist ate on the screen, which I'm having a hard time justifying financially at this point. Maybe later down the road.

Regarding using USB to VGA adapters, I have read that those eat a lot of your CPU, which In my case, I need all the CPU I can get. I do, however, have an old GTX580 that I'm using to run the 2 smaller displays (and physics) while my 970 handles the games.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
The only concern I have is the reach for the switches in front of you; if you have to adjust shields you usually have to do so quickly. I would think about moving the stick onto the front dash, like the photo Just Jake had, or moving those switches just in front of or behind the throttle. As it sits right now, you would have to abandon either your stick or throttle in the middle of battle to adjust shields. The other possibility is to program a minute's worth of defensive flying to a button on your throttle, That would also give you tie to reach the front control panel. I wouldn't suggest that, because many battles are close to asteroid fields, But, you've done a very nice job, I can't wait to see how it ends up!

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
So, I go in for surgery today. I'll be laid up for a couple of weeks so I decided to throw together what I had finished, and African-engineer some quick parts so I'll have a functional (all-be-it ugly) something to play with. I should be able to finish the rest of the panels, back lighting, and sound. I'm not suppost to lift anything >7Kg while in recovery, though, so the rest of the build will have to wait. Looking forward to lots of stick time!

View: http://imgur.com/8SOr9E9

Forgot your password?