Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Another video, which alludes to trying to be centered/unbiased,
riddled with numerous reasoning flaws.
But toward the end, it gets more balanced and fewer flaws in reasoning than the first 2/3rds of the video.
But then the flaws increase again toward the very end... lol.

what you think?

Last edited:

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Article title admonishes people for not using logic.

Article is peppered with emotive attacks.
It is a mistake to call most gamers not very smart, as I have no evidence to prove that. However, for those I have verbally interacted with in the last decade, yea I’m going to have to say many, maybe even more than 50%, were not very smart.
In summation, there are lots of stupid gamers out there smashing their keyboards, puffing their chests out with a solid Dunning-Kruger effect.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Article title admonishes people for not using logic.

Article is peppered with emotive attacks.
Assuming what you mean
" peppered with emotive attacks " is not sufficient to discredit "admonishes people for not using logic "

Also, if you want to have a debate for fun I am all game.
Weaken my arguments, and please challenge me, I need to improve.

I'll start with your rebuttal,
https://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/emotive_language.htm
Using language to entice an emotional response, or in my case to express an opinion, is a valid part of argumentation skills that can or sometimes should very much get exploited.
If however there be a flaw that the emotive language builds on, it is vulnerable to being weakened.

It would also be hypocritical in regards of emotive language criticism, that you used the term peppered referencing within an 1109 word 8 paragraph post, only two instances as painting a sufficiently sprinkled (to justify the use of the term peppered) across a document. However, the emotive language used is utterly irrelevant to deciding if there be flaws or not in these instances. Removing the emotive language (stupid or not very smart) does not strengthen or weaken the main point, evidence, or subsidiary conclusions presented in the passage.

In other words, you have not challenged the logic presented yet.

Prove me wrong, please. <3

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I saw this vid when it was initially uploaded. I took it all in perspective while knowing that he doesn't actually know what we know about SC or its community. This being said, I feel that if things keep on this current track, then by the time SC officially launches, we will have at least 10 full star systems. I posted this belief on 1 of BoredGamer's videos.

"I personally would have no problem with SC launching with approximately 10 fully completed star systems & then they add in new star systems as they are completed which would then allow players that want to be the 1st to chart & explore have the opportunity to enjoy that as the Verse gradually expands. I suspect that when SC goes full launch that we will have the following star systems available for us to explore: Stanton (obviously), Terra, Pyro, Nyx (Dalamar), Cano, Davien, Odin (SQ42), Bremen (SQ42), Vega (SQ42), Sol (will probably be the last completed before launch due to our obvious familiarity with this system). I list these as they would link obviously key systems into the Verse as well as linking the places that are known to already be a part of SQ42."

Based on how a lot of the time SC has taken to develop & especially since it was decided to expand the scope of the game, the Devs have been working on programs to procedurally create the various aspects of the game, which will drastically increase the speed of the creations of new systems as those programs become more flushed out. I'm hoping that SC will last longer than WoW has / will & that they will keep with the addition of new content every few months even after launch until the initial goal of 100 systems is completed, but to the new standard & with far more mission givers as well as things to keep players occupied just about everywhere.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Honestly I'll be happy with 5 fully fleshed out systems with plenty of content/missions/etc.

The last you want is something like Elite Dangerous and/or EVE Online where there are a ton of systems but they're mostly empty. Quality over quantity is what I'm looking for. After the 1.0, they can speed up the release of more systems. At the very least, we'll need half of the touted 100 systems to make exploration viable.

By biggest concern right now is Server Meshing. Until they can sort it out, Star Citizen (or at least our vision of it) will be a pipe dream. You're not gonna be able to have the multicrew capital (+Support ship) battles we all dream about when the server is limited to 50. It's gonna be interesting to see how they pull this off without resorting to cheap tricks like Eve's Time dilation.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Another video, which alludes to trying to be centered/unbiased,
riddled with numerous reasoning flaws.
<snip>
I am gonna start blogging attempting to use the skills I'm newly learning/developing from studying for the LSAT,
in an attempt to present a tempered viewpoint of Star Citizen.
lmk what you think?
What do I "think"? LOL, thinking is hard! I know, I've studied this. Here are 3 questions:
1. What's your favorite dessert?
2. What's your favorite color?
3. What's 17 x 42?

If you are like most people, the first 2 questions were easy, and then the last one...everything probably just ground to a halt as you tried to figure out the answer. Because thinking is so hard (really! it takes more energy, which takes more glucose, which starts increasing your metabolism) we have evolved certain cognitive biases to limit this, in order to conserve energy.

These cognitive biases lead to some fairly predictable behaviors. Especially in the realm of logic & reasoning, there is the idea of "fallacy" see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy .

With regards to human judgment, this is a good read: https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2018/06/kahnemann-lecture.pdf In this, Kahnemann discusses his (and others) work on the "heuristics" of human judgment, in which he identified two basic processes: i) a intuitive or "gut" level decision making process, and ii) a more effortful and deliberative decision making process. He also studied the ways in which humans can be fooled and/or the lengths humans will go to to avoid deliberation and/or effort.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
What do I "think"? LOL, thinking is hard! I know, I've studied this. Here are 3 questions:
3. What's 17 x 42?

If you are like most people, the first 2 questions were easy, and then the last one...everything probably just ground to a halt as you tried to figure out the answer. Because thinking is so hard (really! it takes more energy, which takes more glucose, which starts increasing your metabolism) we have evolved certain cognitive biases to limit this, in order to conserve energy.

These cognitive biases lead to some fairly predictable behaviors. Especially in the realm of logic & reasoning, there is the idea of "fallacy" see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy .

With regards to human judgment, this is a good read: https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2018/06/kahnemann-lecture.pdf In this, Kahnemann discusses his (and others) work on the "heuristics" of human judgment, in which he identified two basic processes: i) a intuitive or "gut" level decision making process, and ii) a more effortful and deliberative decision making process. He also studied the ways in which humans can be fooled and/or the lengths humans will go to to avoid deliberation and/or effort.
actually all those questions were hard :p
....i am indecisive lol
at least with the last one you can just google it

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
While I find some of his videos interesting ( he seems to have some insider sources in some cases), mr.quartering has totally misunderstood the whole point of SC's development. As the conclusion he says something like: bring in a finisher, someone professional who can make the cuts and push out the product.
Really?? Do you really want another Anthem? Another f76 or tes:blades or some shit like those?!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
While I find some of his videos interesting ( he seems to have some insider sources in some cases), mr.quartering has totally misunderstood the whole point of SC's development. As the conclusion he says something like: bring in a finisher, someone professional who can make the cuts and push out the product.
Really?? Do you really want another Anthem? Another f76 or tes:blades or some shit like those?!
I certainly don't want the gaming industry finance weenies driving SC's development. I don't much care what others think of the game either, least of all the press or some youtube video blogger. They can have their opinions, even share them if they want. Its almost immusing when they suddenly realize they missed the point. This is our game.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I certainly don't want the gaming industry finance weenies driving SC's development. I don't much care what others think of the game either, least of all the press or some youtube video blogger. They can have their opinions, even share them if they want. Its almost immusing when they suddenly realize they missed the point. This is our game.
Exactly! This! I signed on for CR's vision. So far, he hasn't let me down. If other people don't like his vision or agree with it, they don't have to purchase anything.

What I don't understand (well, yes I do, unfortunately) is why people why don't like it have to constantly put it down, or interview totally biased people and present their opinions as some sort of "fact." I've said it before, I'll say it again, there are a large number of people in the gaming & entertainment industry who are friggin' jealous of CR and the fact he has raised this much money and has total independence in making the game that **he** wants.

Since these jealous asshats can't raise money and/or make a decent game, the only thing they can do is bad-mouth him. And there are plenty of "journalists" and YouTubers who feed off artificially created drama...if only people could find productive things to do with their time! Call me a dreamer...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
"I personally would have no problem with SC launching with approximately 10 fully completed star systems & then they add in new star systems as they are completed which would then allow players that want to be the 1st to chart & explore have the opportunity to enjoy that as the Verse gradually expands. I suspect that when SC goes full launch that we will have the following star systems available for us to explore: Stanton (obviously), Terra, Pyro, Nyx (Dalamar), Cano, Davien, Odin (SQ42), Bremen (SQ42), Vega (SQ42), Sol (will probably be the last completed before launch due to our obvious familiarity with this system). I list these as they would link obviously key systems into the Verse as well as linking the places that are known to already be a part of SQ42."
Honestly I'll be happy with 5 fully fleshed out systems with plenty of content/missions/etc.

The last you want is something like Elite Dangerous and/or EVE Online where there are a ton of systems but they're mostly empty. Quality over quantity is what I'm looking for. After the 1.0, they can speed up the release of more systems. At the very least, we'll need half of the touted 100 systems to make exploration viable.

By biggest concern right now is Server Meshing. Until they can sort it out, Star Citizen (or at least our vision of it) will be a pipe dream. You're not gonna be able to have the multicrew capital (+Support ship) battles we all dream about when the server is limited to 50. It's gonna be interesting to see how they pull this off without resorting to cheap tricks like Eve's Time dilation.
I agree that server meshing will be critical to allowing SC to be as fully flushed out as it can be for player experiences. While I have no idea how they will achieve this, I'm hoping that it will mostly be done through programming & then enhanced through hardware. That way they can have another means of tech that they can license to other gaming companies that would like to use it in their games as well. Which would provide an additional source of revenue for CIG long term to keep things going after official launch.

I initially thought that 5 would be fine to launch with, but then changed by mind when I learned that CIG would be releasing SQ42 so much earlier than SC. Which is why I included the systems that would make up SQ42 that we know about now, with the systems that will have to be passed through in the game, plus the known systems that will have to be in SC to make up the 10 without any gaps that would be unexplained.

3. What's 17 x 42?
1. My current favorite desert is sugar free cherry jello. (thanks diabetes)
2. My favorite color to see worn on beautiful ladies has always been ... clear. (don't hate my honesty)
3. I actually figured this out in my head within a few seconds. I then double checked my number to confirm I was right.

I think that for The Quartering to truly have a fair & balanced insight into the SC issue, other than that which he got from the forbes trash rag & the few people he knows that have looked into it, he should actually look into it himself by going to a few local Bar Citizen events, checking out some of the SC shows & should take the risk of backing the game to play what is currently available to see for himself how it's coming.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
1. What's your favorite desert?
3. What's 17 x 42?
1. Everyone always goes for the Sahara, but my favored is the Gobi.
2. Blue. No, y-
3. It's 42, 17 times.

Forgot your password?