marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The only time I don't wear boots is when I'm on vacation. Mosquitos take a huge advantage of this by mainly targeting my feet. In a bedroom with my family, the kids get some, I win unbeatable and my wife gets spared. Even when I wrap myself in like a mummy in the bedsheets, the mosquitos do a lot effort to reach my feet.
  1. Is my blood so delicious with the beer consumption?
  2. Why are my feet the prime target?
  3. Why is my right foot more delicious than my left foot (score right: 45+, score left: 25+)
All precautions are taken, windows and doors closed as much as possible, a few electrical and chemical mosquito deterrent devices, the best mosquito deterrent oil you can get, only applied to the targeted areas.
The result after 2 days (my oldest son was prime target the first day):

Attachments

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
To answer the original question posed in the title, NO! There is no such thing as too much beer.

Omfg, that's rough! I feel ya man, it's the same in my family, I always get singled out by mosquitos lol At least the gov actively exterminates mosquitos on a regular basis so it's not this bad.
Beer does seem to make the mosquito situation worse though.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
eat more garlic

when you have enough in your system that it seeps out of your pores it acts as a mosquito repellent

buy large gelatin capsules, fill with garlic powder, eat two twice a day

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Grinning inside a little. Every family should have mosquito meat. In my family it's my wife, so. ... now i'm laughing inside...
Mosquitoes will bite me if she's not there. See last paragraph though.

But in fact mosquitoes are attracted to you because you exhale carbon dioxide. Can't do much about that except die, and then the rest of the insect world bites, and your reaction time in SC suffers. Not a great solution. But why specifically your legs? That is because you sweat, and there they are attracted by pheromones. They might be attracted by the pheromones in soap, or body sprays, or produced naturally. They also attack from below, which is why your legs are being stung.

As kind of "urban myth", what @maynard wrote about garlic seems to work in some people. It's really worth a try. If the soap you use causes it, try a natural unscented soap. And if that doesn't work, you have a great career ahead of you as a mosquito attractant at parties. Actually you look like you're bare footed... wear shoes too, not sandals. That'll reduce the number that you attract. Beyond that you don't have many options. Wear light colored clothing. they can get you through even denem, and the darker the worse they will attack. Wear light colored clothing, like white and offwhite.

I learned this in Northern Canada, right into the arctic. Fishing and hunting in northern lakes and forests. It's awful there, and mosquitos aren't the worst. Black Flies are thick like fog in some places and they aren't just stinging you, they're taking chunks of fresh meat. Now, the difference between me and my wife is partly that she wears sandals and dark clothing. Fashionable. I on the other hand, actually I've become kind of immune to mosquitos. They do bite my wife more frequently, but they still bite me. I usually don't feel it, and they don't itch much, most of the time not at all. I'm not sure why, but I'll take it.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yeah they suck too! But you can see the mosquitos, you don't see these pesky buggers, or honestly most of the bugs that can cause a rash. You feel the results of their presence.
I have advice for anyone taking a walk in the woods, and it doesn't matter which continent. Wear long pants, a shirt made for ventilation, like a Magellan hunting shirt (dunno about European brands), and boots in the woods. Yeah I know it's 30 C outside, wear them or be lunch. And don't forget a hat. And insecticides just smell bad and make you feel "Oh I'm protected... because I have this cool bug repellant spray". Which probably attracts them.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Im the one who doesnt wear bug spray and still doesnt get bit.... i do eat large amounts of garlic but not sure thats the cause. I eat a lot of sugar which i was told attracts them but nope. Some people just taste better...
Same here they ignore me and if they do sting I don't notice or get effected, same with wasp sting I get like mosquito red dot then couple hours later it's gone. :D

Don't think it matter what you eat, but if it make one feel good I'm not gonna say it don't :P

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
They also attack from below, which is why your legs are being stung.
They sucked at night, while I was sleeping. I have had some occasions, where I slept vertically, but that were "special" occasions (too much beer == stop drinking == fall asleep acute... no matter that the whole street is full of partying noisy people)

Actually you look like you're bare footed... wear shoes too, not sandals. That'll reduce the number that you attract.
On the second picture you clearly can see the boots line. That is the part were the sun never shines, also the part that is attacked the most. I doubt that my wife would approve boots in bed, actually I'm pretty sure that she doesn't approve 😉

Wear light colored clothing, like white and offwhite.
I try to mummifie myself with the bed sheet, if missus doesn't steal it while I'm asleep 😒

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I don't know, where do these monsters live? Right now I'm in Croatia. The most amazing part is that they suck at different spots, close to each other. I thought that a mosquito would bite at a single spot, suck the amount she needs, then moves away to her hiding place.
It happened in the bedroom. 1 or maybe 2 sneak past the first line of defence, found a good hiding place, waited until everybody was asleep and did their vile deed.
My oldest son was the first night prime target. My wife sprayed him with deet, leaving me unprotected as 2nd best target.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ever heard of mosquito nets?
The appartments are pretty good defended, mosquito nets in the windows, doors always shut, but sometimes you have to open doors to get in or out of the room. That is when they get in.

You can use tea trea oil to avoid strong itching
Yeap, we brought some anti-itch stuff from home, but our aunt had some really good stuf, some oil, which you can get here. She adviced us to get a tube of Fenistil against the alergic reaction. Best advice ever, we got a big tube.

also more beer helps ignoring them.
Even better advic. I always start with that as a preventive measure the moment we arrive here 🍻 🍻 🍻

Forgot your password?