Do you want to try my meat?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
What's that? You thought I wasn't serious?

BAM:

Last night (Sorry for the potato quality):

Today:

Will update on Sunday night / Monday with final results.
NICE!

That small piece is probably almost ready by Sunday night, let me know how it tastes!

Some people like the meat a little red in the middle, others like it dry the whole way through.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
NICE!

That small piece is probably almost ready by Sunday night, let me know how it tastes!

Some people like the meat a little red in the middle, others like it dry the whole way through.
I certainly will. I prefer my jerky with a bit of moisture in it, but the best room for me to cure in has fairly high humidity (> 55%) so it might take an extra 12 ish hours on the little pieces and a couple days on the larger strips.

I plan on getting a dehumidifier soon so I'll be able to monitor that for future batches.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
We need to keep this thread alive until I get home in a week or two. I must try this recipe. I'm saying this on faith, as I cannot watch it yet. Haha

Reactions: Ammorn and StdDev

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I certainly will. I prefer my jerky with a bit of moisture in it, but the best room for me to cure in has fairly high humidity (> 55%) so it might take an extra 12 ish hours on the little pieces and a couple days on the larger strips.

I plan on getting a dehumidifier soon so I'll be able to monitor that for future batches.
For you or @Montoya, how far apart should the dowels be/how big?
1/2" dowels at 3" apart?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
For you or @Montoya, how far apart should the dowels be/how big?
1/2" dowels at 3" apart?
That's exactly what I did, but really you just need to make sure that you have enough clearance so that every piece can hang freely. If your cuts are touching anything other than the hook you increase the risk of mildew as it might not cure properly. The size of the container doesn't matter at all.

I always recommend that if you see any mildew/mold you throw the entire batch away. Remember! Food poisoning is nothing to joke about so don't let your meat touch!

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Once you jerk your meat the way I show you, you will never jerk any other way.
I can confirm that my meat jerking routine has been improved thanks to Montoya's firm, but loving, helping hands.

This is almost exactly how I like my jerky. This cut was from a fairly small piece (3/4" x 1.5" x ~8" at it's largest dimensions) and took around 55 hours of curing (after 12ish hours marinating).

The taste is simply exquisite! I wish I had used a better cut of meat. I got a 2 and half pound rump roast at Kroger, but will be going to my butcher for the next batch. In a couple of days the rest will all be done, but I don't see it lasting more than a couple of days after that.

If anyone knows if it's safe to mail I have a vacuum sealer and don't mind sending some out. The thought of my meat that Montoya practically jerked himself being in your hands gets a real rise out of me.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I can confirm that my meat jerking routine has been improved thanks to Montoya's firm, but loving, helping hands..
The thought of my meat that Montoya practically jerked himself being in your hands gets a real rise out of me.
Montoya's jerk method, Cricket's meat....
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Yehaw!
Send it
Send it my way
/prepares mouth for flavour sensations

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I can confirm that my meat jerking routine has been improved thanks to Montoya's firm, but loving, helping hands.

This is almost exactly how I like my jerky. This cut was from a fairly small piece (3/4" x 1.5" x ~8" at it's largest dimensions) and took around 55 hours of curing (after 12ish hours marinating).

The taste is simply exquisite! I wish I had used a better cut of meat. I got a 2 and half pound rump roast at Kroger, but will be going to my butcher for the next batch. In a couple of days the rest will all be done, but I don't see it lasting more than a couple of days after that.

If anyone knows if it's safe to mail I have a vacuum sealer and don't mind sending some out. The thought of my meat that Montoya practically jerked himself being in your hands gets a real rise out of me.
This looks amazing!

I see you like your pieces thick!

When its at that stage of dryness, its easy to eat, but when its dryer you may want to cut the pieces almost paper thin.

What do you mean by better cut of meat? Was this piece not shaped right or was the fat in the wrong places?

Vacuum sealed should be fine, I have bought biltong both vacuum sealed and in a sealed ziplock type bag but with silica gel bags to absorb moisture. Those where shipped to me from Colorado.

Forgot your password?