Dogfighter Conundrum

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
man, I can relate. in my younger days, there was a real sizzler way too hot for the likes of me, but she was always high on ketamine and used to throw glasses at my friend's heads so that explains a lot.
My ex-wife does love to party. Glad you got to meet her. She was fun.
Howdy! Figure I'll toss my 0.02 in, for what it's worth. WARNING: minor rant incoming...

The short version: Try out the Aegis Gladius.

The long version: I see a lot of fellas tossing around Hornets and Sabers, which I have nothing against. Personally, I love both of them. The Saber is one of the reasons that I originally looked into SC. And I could preach about the Hornet's virtues for days. But, no other (dogfighting) ship has made me feel the same as the Gladius. The Saber has a nice standard loadout and the shields are wicked, but it's expensive, unadaptable, and a bit uncontrollable in tight spaces. And the Hornet is like a work truck. It gets you there, it gets the job done, and it gets you home. Nothing more. Nothing less. The Gladius, however, flies like you're strapped to the back of a pissed-off weasel that's tweaking on crystal meth. If you try to turn at full throttle, or God forbid with the afterburners, the G-forces will kill you dead. Sure, the standard loadout might not be the greatest, but you can fix that. The shields may be weak, and the armor almost non-existant, but you can compensate with the mobility. Fly at 75% throttle, and save the top-end + afterburners for evasive actions. The Gladius is a great ship the gets a bad rep because many folks consider it a "starter ship" and act like they might catch leprosy from looking at it.

And again, I have nothing against the Saber or the Hornet. I own most of their respective lineups. Just figured the little guy deserved a shout-out.
you're an asshole. Now I have to try the gladius out. Damn your poetry! Damn it.

Edit: Ha

Ha

Haha

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
My ex-wife does love to party. Glad you got to meet her. She was fun.
you're an asshole. Now I have to try the gladius out. Damn your poetry! Damn it.

Edit: Ha

Ha

Haha
That is why I am here Owl. Afterall, I am The Razgriz... Defender of Starter-Ships... Breaker of Wallets... Asshole of Poetry!

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Well Fuck me. I need to read more. Damn real life getting in the way of SC. Ha.

I loved the Bucky the minute she hit concept. Bought her straight away, no hesitation. But as I learned more about myself, I realized I was a "tanky" fighter. Tenacious. If I have you in my sights, I will not disengage. I will shoot until you're dead (or I am)...regardless of the hits I'm taking.

This made me start second guessing my Bucky. And to this day I am still second guessing my Bucky. I'm not a good glass cannon guy. I love everything about her, but I just don't know if she's the right fit for me...
Kinda like this chick I met once. Fun as Fuck. But not the one I should've taken home to mom...ever.

I have been there too haha! (Vietnam Flashback) i wish i could strip those memories from my life for sure haha!

Also perhaps wait for the anvil hurricane? its supposed to be a heavy with a lot of smaller guns so it may check all your boxes?

Howdy! Figure I'll toss my 0.02 in, for what it's worth. WARNING: minor rant incoming...

The short version: Try out the Aegis Gladius.

The long version: I see a lot of fellas tossing around Hornets and Sabers, which I have nothing against. Personally, I love both of them. The Saber is one of the reasons that I originally looked into SC. And I could preach about the Hornet's virtues for days. But, no other (dogfighting) ship has made me feel the same as the Gladius. The Saber has a nice standard loadout and the shields are wicked, but it's expensive, unadaptable, and a bit uncontrollable in tight spaces. And the Hornet is like a work truck. It gets you there, it gets the job done, and it gets you home. Nothing more. Nothing less. The Gladius, however, flies like you're strapped to the back of a pissed-off weasel that's tweaking on crystal meth. If you try to turn at full throttle, or God forbid with the afterburners, the G-forces will kill you dead. Sure, the standard loadout might not be the greatest, but you can fix that. The shields may be weak, and the armor almost non-existant, but you can compensate with the mobility. Fly at 75% throttle, and save the top-end + afterburners for evasive actions. The Gladius is a great ship the gets a bad rep because many folks consider it a "starter ship" and act like they might catch leprosy from looking at it.

And again, I have nothing against the Saber or the Hornet. I own most of their respective lineups. Just figured the little guy deserved a shout-out.
I always forget about the gladius its a dam good ship light fighters will always have a place in my heart but i really want to see more xian ships if i want to pick up a light fighter

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
Guys, thanks for all your input. I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into staying sober, for the most part, and sharing your thoughts.

Looks like I will be CCUing to a Gladius for now, with an eye out for the Buccaneer's progress.

Napalm out.

PS : How do you close a f@#king thread?

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
I found that in a sliding fight with the comet, that had fixed guns. that the F7-C with smaller but gimbaled guns can land hits consistently and stay just outside the firing arc of the comet`s larger but fixed guns. I was fighting with a friend of mine '' who I think is a much better pilot than I '' and I was steadily and soundly defeating him.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I recommend the Vanguard Warden. It a long range fighter with decent armor, good shields, and powerful weaponry. For me this means good all around and you have the range to actually get to where you are needed. Just something to consider.

Reactions: Blind Owl

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I think for a standardisation standpoint - it's pretty clear Vanguard is the offensive platform of choice due to lower logistical requirements. Territory and operational defence would be horner territory. defensive interception would fall to Gladius.

how the sabre in particular and other fighters in general fit in to the mix will come down to pilot skill and preference it seems.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The Tana was designed as a glass cannon. It can't take a hit. My suggestion is if you want a ship that can be refit specially for each fighter mission go for the Ghost Hornet or Tracker and swap out parts. If you want a general superiority fighter, go for the Sabre. For beating players and ships senseless, nothing can beat a Sabre wearing 8 Suckerpunch Distortion Cannons, and you can do that.
View: https://youtu.be/zX__-pz8egw
If you want to keep pace with deep penetration strike teams against Vanduul or go privateering, go for one of the Vanguard. The Sentinel will probably offer the most complex and devious combat of any fighter in the game.

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I thought I hated the Super Hornet and loved the Sabre, but soon found that my play style was much more suited to the SH.
I'm right there with you on that one. I really, really like the Sabre. It flies amazing (haven't tried it in 2.6 yet) and it can really chew up the opposition. However, when you fly it, THAT's what you are doing. You're not talking to the wife and kid. You're not watching the latest episode of Elementary out of the corner of your eye while you shoot down the vanduul. You're stuck playing out that match for better or for worse. You can't half ass the Sabre. If you do, you die. Its a very polarizing experience.

The Super Hornet however, is much more forgiving. It doesn't require 100% of your concentration. If you shitbox a maneuver and take some hits, oh well. You'll be fine. If you are 3/4 of the way through that tasty bottle of hooch and are playing pinball off a couple asteroids, meh. Fire away. It is for these reasons and more that any time I go to pick out a fighter to fly around, nine times out of ten it will be the Super Hornet.

Sometimes I want that edge of the seat performance. Sometimes I really want to immerse myself in the game and have that nerve wracking experience. Sometimes, I want to push the limits of my abilities and really see what I got. For that, the Saber is king. But most of the time, I just want to have fun. That's what the Super Hornet does. That's it's role in my combat fleet. It's my daily driver. It's my commuter rig. It's my comfort food.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I'm right there with you on that one. I really, really like the Sabre. It flies amazing (haven't tried it in 2.6 yet) and it can really chew up the opposition. However, when you fly it, THAT's what you are doing. You're not talking to the wife and kid. You're not watching the latest episode of Elementary out of the corner of your eye while you shoot down the vanduul. You're stuck playing out that match for better or for worse. You can't half ass the Sabre. If you do, you die. Its a very polarizing experience.

The Super Hornet however, is much more forgiving. It doesn't require 100% of your concentration. If you shitbox a maneuver and take some hits, oh well. You'll be fine. If you are 3/4 of the way through that tasty bottle of hooch and are playing pinball off a couple asteroids, meh. Fire away. It is for these reasons and more that any time I go to pick out a fighter to fly around, nine times out of ten it will be the Super Hornet.

Sometimes I want that edge of the seat performance. Sometimes I really want to immerse myself in the game and have that nerve wracking experience. Sometimes, I want to push the limits of my abilities and really see what I got. For that, the Saber is king. But most of the time, I just want to have fun. That's what the Super Hornet does. That's it's role in my combat fleet. It's my daily driver. It's my commuter rig. It's my comfort food.
that was actually incredibly helpful.

beers to you, sir. Beers aplenty.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I would recommend either a hornet ghost, or a saber. I was very impressed with my ghost, but completely in love with my saber comet. Also by getting a ghost you can buy a flashfire mount and have a turret or fixed weapon attached to it, or at times you can equip your original cloak module to it. So in practicality with the ghost you get 1 ship with 2 different roles. pretty rare and nice in todays verse. Blessings from the Keg of Knowledge for any ship you choose is free.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I found that in a sliding fight with the comet, that had fixed guns. that the F7-C with smaller but gimbaled guns can land hits consistently and stay just outside the firing arc of the comet`s larger but fixed guns. I was fighting with a friend of mine '' who I think is a much better pilot than I '' and I was steadily and soundly defeating him.
I would recommend either a hornet ghost, or a saber. I was very impressed with my ghost, but completely in love with my saber comet. Also by getting a ghost you can buy a flashfire mount and have a turret or fixed weapon attached to it, or at times you can equip your original cloak module to it. So in practicality with the ghost you get 1 ship with 2 different roles. pretty rare and nice in todays verse. Blessings from the Keg of Knowledge for any ship you choose is free.
I went back and forth about upgrading my F7-C to the two seater, went ahead and did it, and have kind of regretted it. The F7-C was powerful enough as a single seater; with the "upgrade" it became slower and didn't really seem to benefit much from any weapon upgrade.

I like the suggestion about using the Hornet Ghost in a dual role...but again, everything is subject to change. My current recommendation is just enjoy what you have, and hang on to a couple of LTI-tokens so you can upgrade at a later date, when things like ship-handling and weapon load outs get more cast in concrete.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That is why I am here Owl. Afterall, I am The Razgriz... Defender of Starter-Ships... Breaker of Wallets... Asshole of Poetry!
Well you failed. I think. I didn't buy anything during the holiday sale. I didn't even post! Haha. I win.

Why didn't I buy the Sabre?
I have been there too haha! (Vietnam Flashback) i wish i could strip those memories from my life for sure haha!

Also perhaps wait for the anvil hurricane? its supposed to be a heavy with a lot of smaller guns so it may check all your boxes?
At least your laughing about it. :P

Yeah, the Hurricane...I'm actually really waiting for this one.
Just discoverd this nice gif of @The Fox and @Blind Owl
I do love hugging. I don't know how or where this came from, but it's here now.

Well said. Now I'm going to buy them all. *sigh*

Forgot your password?