Drake Kraken Privateer

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Right, so having watched the presentation, its a permanent upgrade that makes significant structural changes to the ship.

So once you are done, its done.

I think it makes 0 economic sense to nerf your standard Kraken with this "upgrade" as I cant see how its possible to match the UEC per hour earning potential of using the base Kraken as a cargo hauler running a bunch of mini marts, competing against standard space stations, paying extra NPCs and all the additional dead time restocking shops, changing shops, and all that nonsense.

If it was in game today and you had the funds you could be making a few UEC shot of 700k profit per run one way between P.O and area 18.

A million UEC per hour minimum is what I would expect to be earning from a Kraken if the current economic model holds.

You are not going to be doing that in the Privateer.

If you want to be run a mini mart, a BMM is a FAR better choice.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Interesting concept, definitely niche, I mean you would either have to have some extremely rare items or undercut the prices of whatever is around you to generate enough customers to make profits or be in such a remote area you are the only thing around in which I could see this being useful, is it able to refuel, rearm, repair as well or strictly a floating merchant ship? If it can do all that and find a place in space that warrants it then it could make tons of dough.
Selling to people that can't get to legitimate markets would be your client base, then you can charge more. :)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
somewhere out there in the black... amass a huge fleet.
a random ship approaches...

....That's not a moon... it's TEST Squadron!!
Hahaha, bad lip readings rock.
Ouch. Sooo pricey.

I'll stick with my $235 Banu Menchantman and spend the other $2000 on booze and hookers. :D
Sound plan. Count me in.
Selling to people that can't get to legitimate markets would be your client base, then you can charge more. :)
Exactly. I'm glad that we have a few for our privateering endeavours.

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
Let's see now, with the new ships reveal.. the small (compared to Orion) refinery ship as a probable, the mining ground vehicle as a possible then makes the Kraken Privateer a mobile mining and refining base complete with storage and shops! You could literally plop it down complete with everything you need to mine available to rent and players simply arrive, rent equipment and go mine and you charge something for rental, something for refining and possibly even make something to offer transport and sale of each players refined product.
Assuming the ground mining vehicle and small refining ships becomes a reality, just how many of each, with ships for flying operations security do you think you can stuff into/onto a Kraken Privateer?
Gawd this is sounding like a viable business plan!

At least til some of you shoot holes in it!

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Does anyone know why we shouldn't be able to use the Privateer the same as the Kraken, an attack carrier? I mean the differences are internal, what's preventing you from using the Privateer as an attack carrier? I suspect many are buying this because it is the only way they can get 2 Krakens on their account.

Edit: Or perhaps they can use their Kraken for commerce and still use it as an attack carrier for a $300 upgrade?

Last edited:

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
Does anyone know why we shouldn't be able to use the Privateer the same as the Kraken, an attack carrier? I mean the differences are internal, what's preventing you from using the Privateer as an attack carrier? I suspect many are buying this because it is the only way they can get 2 Krakens on their account.

Edit: Or perhaps they can use their Kraken for commerce and still use it as an attack carrier for a $300 upgrade?
Exactly! If I can manage to ever snag a CCU or upgrade package for my Kraken then I will get it and use it how I like. I think it gives you more options without taking away too much.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
You can, but there will be fewer repair materials available such as replacement power plants, shield generators, etc. there will also be less dragonfly’s for a boarding party to fly over

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

The only change is less cargo space and the loss of the Dragonfly hanger so it should be just as effective.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Exactly! If I can manage to ever snag a CCU or upgrade package for my Kraken then I will get it and use it how I like. I think it gives you more options without taking away too much.
See, I am of the opinion that the *permanent* loss of the bulk cargo carrying capability of the Kraken is far too high a price to pay for the trading functionality.

You take what is the 4 highest capacity cargo ship in the game, the single best defended cargo ship in the game, bar none, and cripple it to just over the capacity of a C2 Hercules.

Sure you can still use it as an attack carrier, but you have less than a quarter of the resources to support your assault than a standard Kraken, so less spares, missiles, torpedoes, etc.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
See, I am of the opinion that the *permanent* loss of the bulk cargo carrying capability of the Kraken is far too high a price to pay for the trading functionality.

You take what is the 4 highest capacity cargo ship in the game, the single best defended cargo ship in the game, bar none, and cripple it to just over the capacity of a C2 Hercules.

Sure you can still use it as an attack carrier, but you have less than a quarter of the resources to support your assault than a standard Kraken, so less spares, missiles, torpedoes, etc.

Valid points. We don't know what size these parts will take up nor how much space fuel will require.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Valid points. We don't know what size these parts will take up nor how much space fuel will require.
So, basically it comes down to this... It is a mobile city, landing, repair, some basic security, a place to trade - not sure if it has a med bay but I think it will be a great asset for moving around... especially nomadic Freedom Fighters (Pirates or Test finding our way). Land, set up security, send out the miners, scavengers, and the patrols. Have them sell their stuff, repair, refuel, restock, go at it again. Have the merchants move the products to market from the Kracken and bring back necessities like fuel, parts, and medical equipment. Pretty simple, its a mobile town.

Steel_Monkey

Captain
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Steel_Monkey
I guess I took a more simplistic approach.... sure, it will have its challenges, unique and what not... that's why I play. Being part of an organization like this (I recently joined) and making a purchase like this allows me to accomplish two goals... help the organization by having a tool that maybe not a lot of groups have, and two (selfishly) allow me to play a different type of game that appeals to me. I don't want to be a dog fighter, I want to do something different... so maybe it's a mobile base, maybe it's a mining powerhouse that I land on a planet, maybe it's an commerce mechanism.... I don't know.... but isn't that the reason why we play?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

You lose both hangars. That means you have no rearm, refuel or repair facilities. It also cuts your carrier flight group by two. The latter doesn't mean it isn't an attack Carrier, but the former does.

[edit]I might be wrong, it looks like it might keep one of the hangars.[/edit]

Last edited:
Forgot your password?