Drake Kraken Privateer

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So, basically it comes down to this... It is a mobile city, landing, repair, some basic security, a place to trade - not sure if it has a med bay but I think it will be a great asset for moving around... especially nomadic Freedom Fighters (Pirates or Test finding our way). Land, set up security, send out the miners, scavengers, and the patrols. Have them sell their stuff, repair, refuel, restock, go at it again. Have the merchants move the products to market from the Kracken and bring back necessities like fuel, parts, and medical equipment. Pretty simple, its a mobile town.
Yeah. It'll be great for ops out into the middle of nowhere. I think it's a great idea. I'm glad you peeps have bought some, haha

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
If you can set the shops to buy, as well as sell, you could set up with a Kraken on some rich asteroid field or planet for mining ops, have independent pilots come in with their mining vessels and sell the products to the Kraken captain and refuel, instead of quantuming to a station and back every time they're full. Might turn a decent profit.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
If you can set the shops to buy, as well as sell, you could set up with a Kraken on some rich asteroid field or planet for mining ops, have independent pilots come in with their mining vessels and sell the products to the Kraken captain and refuel, instead of quantuming to a station and back every time they're full. Might turn a decent profit.
The way they are talking is that YOU have to buy the stock, and then the shops sell it.

I did some basic fag packet maths on spectrum to try and quantify what would be required to match just using the ship as a cargo hauler, and its going to be an awful lot of work to get any where near what you can just hauling basic shit around the place.

I think the way to look at it is its a $350 conversion that just gives you the mobile space station and thats the main point of it, to facilitate that gameplay and the role playing and spread sheet faffing that running you own pretend business when you get back from work entails.

If the base Kraken didnt have SO MUCH cargo capacity, it wouldnt be much of a decision, the problem is its fucking huge, a single uec profit on a unit is 379,200 UEC in your pocket on a full load, 1.5 UEC is 568,000

Sure it might take some time loading and unloading, but its a really simple, hassle free way of earning cash, relatively safely because you are doing it in a 270 meter warship.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Thing is if your buying a ship like the Kraken based on the fact that it can carry nearly 4000 cargo, IMHO you're possibly doing it wrong. It's gonna be hideously slow to manoeuvre, park, land and fly and cost a fortune to fuel and repair. Spend 250 on a hull C and you can still carry your 4000scu of scrap but now do it with speed and cost efficiency?

Steel_Monkey

Captain
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Steel_Monkey
Can we create a group for the Privateer owners? I had this thought about maybe creating a Privateers Owners Network where we can begin to discuss strategies. Shops, function dedication, private rooms, etc. I personally would love to hear other owner's thoughts on how they might run theirs.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
The way they are talking is that YOU have to buy the stock, and then the shops sell it.
While I agree with you to an extent... you do not have to stock out of the gate. As people mine they bring in ore... as they bring in ore people buy it to refine it... and people refine it sell it or build something of value like guns or spaceships. Same goes for agriculture... they sell their plants... plants can be bought or refined into something like medicine or drugs. To me, the Privateer is that ship that can start at 0. Bring an Orion, Reclaimer or even an Endeavor. Then have some Testie Haulers take everything to market.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
While I agree with you to an extent... you do not have to stock out of the gate. As people mine they bring in ore... as they bring in ore people buy it to refine it... and people refine it sell it or build something of value like guns or spaceships. Same goes for agriculture... they sell their plants... plants can be bought or refined into something like medicine or drugs. To me, the Privateer is that ship that can start at 0. Bring an Orion, Reclaimer or even an Endeavor. Then have some Testie Haulers take everything to market.
I honestly think this is the best use of the Privateer. It's going to allow minerals and salvage to be brought to a central area and then haulers to be able to take it to markets without all the members being online at the same time. Especially with the existence of two invite-only shops would allow for both public sales in the general shops and org only in the private shops. While the Privateer might sell ore to the Orion or unnamed med size refine ship I do not feel the Orion would be selling ore or using the Privateer as a go-between on its ore production due to the volume and so its operations will always be with dedicated Hull D/E support. But Prospector and Moles would be eager to find a Privateer especially as we go into systems without the system buildup like the Stanton system has. Thus Privateers/Merchantmen will be highly sought after as trade hubs.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Thing is if your buying a ship like the Kraken based on the fact that it can carry nearly 4000 cargo, IMHO you're possibly doing it wrong. It's gonna be hideously slow to manoeuvre, park, land and fly and cost a fortune to fuel and repair. Spend 250 on a hull C and you can still carry your 4000scu of scrap but now do it with speed and cost efficiency?
Yes, absolutely, however, there is NO other ship that can land with that amount of cargo space, whether thats trading, OR full of ground vehicles, supplies of all types etc.

The only thing that can get close to its utility in that respect, is the Idris, by using its hangar to transport vehicles.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Much more than just a trade ship. It refuels and rearms - not sure if the merchantman can do that.

View attachment 14511

View attachment 14512

View attachment 14513

View attachment 14514
As far as we know the Merchantman can't rearm, repair and refuel. The Privateer is unique in being a mobile Port Olisar, and honestly, the gameplay options for its use out in the wildlands is where it's going to shine. Within systems like Stanton, it really doesn't have any real purpose and I understand the logic of why giving up the large cargo space would be frowned upon. And even in the wildlands, the trade-off might not be for everyone. But I do cringe when I read people thinking they will use the Kraken as some sort of cargo hauler and while it can land if the 890Jump is any indication of where CIG is going with the large ships it's going to be way too costly to do it often. So leave the cargo-hauling to the Hull D/E to take cargo from stations orbiting planets (coming in 3.8) and let the smaller cargo ships to make the short trips and haul goods to the planet surface.

The Kraken and the Kraken Privateer are amazing ships especially in their role as establishing a forward outpost/FOB/Pirate Haven. But to try and utilize them as the flavor of the day I imagine is going to be disappointing to the owner.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
So leave the cargo-hauling to the Hull D/E to take cargo from stations orbiting planets (coming in 3.8) and let the smaller cargo ships to make the short trips and haul goods to the planet surface.
I fully agree with you - its a way to expensive for moving around frequently and there are cheaper ship options that could probably run several round trips in the time it takes to get the Kracken to market - especially as a hauler. As I have said, I plan on finding a planet with good resources... stay there for a little while... get the pioneer rolling... build an outpost, make some money, then move on to the next strategic planet. With any luck we can move as a group and function as a team.

Game play as how I envision it:
We're going to need scouts to survey and explore new landing sites. We're going to need miners, growers, manufacturers and salvagers. Lastly, were going to need protection for both the Vandul and rivals. I think is going to be the tip of the spear when it comes quickly and fluidly staking a claim to our territory closer to Stanton in association with the Pioneer (Kracken is the support ship). Once that is done, we can take test to deeper into space and leverage the deep space resources. @Bambooza you are welcome to help me fly this monstrosity any time to help me get it from point A to point B.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I fully agree with you - its a way to expensive for moving around frequently and there are cheaper ship options that could probably run several round trips in the time it takes to get the Kracken to market - especially as a hauler. As I have said, I plan on finding a planet with good resources... stay there for a little while... get the pioneer rolling... build an outpost, make some money, then move on to the next strategic planet. With any luck we can move as a group and function as a team.

We're going to need scouts to survey and explore new landing sites. We're going to need miners, growers, manufacturers and salvagers. Lastly, were going to need protection for both the Vandul and rivals. I think is going to be the tip of the spear when it comes quickly and fluidly staking a claim to our territory closer to Stanton in association with the Pioneer (Kracken is the support ship). Once that is done, we can take test to deeper into space and leverage the deep space resources. @Bambooza you are welcome to help me fly this monstrosity any time to help me get it from point A to point B.
Stop! I'm getting too hyped.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Sounds good. Still not sure which side of the law I wish to participate in and honestly there is so much to do from boots on the ground marine to space ship captain I have a feeling it's going to lead to a bit of wanting to do it all, all of the time.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Still not sure which side of the law I wish to participate
Me either... I like to stay neutral for as long as I can... eventually I'll prolly end up in trouble with the law because in Test we do a lot of stupid things - even if it is not intentional, but thats ok... we have enough people playing cops and traders:). Allegiance is to Test not the UEE or other rival corps - not role playing just saying @Montoya is going to get us all in trouble eventually.

Steel_Monkey

Captain
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Steel_Monkey
I see the team approach honestly but I also like the other mentions... I have a reclaimer and an Orion... Mobile hub is nice. I should clarify. If we have to load up and we have these resources such as ships, we can have back up captains, lend our ships out, etc. It's to the benefit of the community if we maximize these resources to our benefit. Own a planet, a system, form and control the black market, establish an over whelming presence, or even strategically distribute so we are the "logical" decision. Maybe create a monopoly? You can only get X on our privateers?

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
All of you who have bought the Privateer and intent to use it as an outpost in the far reaches will be my bestest of friends come launch. That is where I'll be, and having a base of operations / place to lay my head will be prime.
Welcome to Steve's Alcohol imporium. We got 8 public bars and 2 private bars. Alcohol sold under cost. How do we make a profit? Easy, we sell in bulk!

Forgot your password?