Drake Kraken Privateer

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Still not sure whether to keep the kraken or apply the upgrade.
Disclaimer: I own neither. That being said...
Man, I wasn't sold on the Privateer. I know that being a Privateer was going to be my primary profession in game, but the KP didn't exactly meet what I was envisioning.

Then I started thinking about it. I know, I know, how un-Owl-like. But honestly, I did. And the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. We go to a system with little or no infrastructure in place. There's something there we want to exploit. Alien ruins, a planet, mining, whatever. That KP becomes to hub for that system. And we own it. A the shit you savage, scavenger, loot, mine, etc, comes back to that KP. That's fucking amazing.
The synergy this ship creates is unbelieveable. I am now going to ensure that I have at least 2-3 ships that are capable of docking with or launching from a Kraken or KP, just Soni know I can be part of said hub - and we'll have an effing hub, because that is what this game is about.

DSET finds us a system, the call goes out, TESTies congregate, the Krakens come in. The RR come in. We start ops. Resources come back to the Kraken. The collectors don't have to worry about sorting shit. Just come back to the KP and sell. The haulers then take individual loss of ship from the Kraken and convoy to refineries, etc. Not having to take individual loads from Vultures / Prospectors / Moles etc from the point of origin to the end user is a huge fucking boon.

This ship will be a game changer. Mark my words. If you invested in the KP, you my friends, you are the hub.

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
Man, I wasn't sold on the Privateer. I know that being a Privateer was going to be my primary profession in game, but the KP didn't exactly meet what I was envisioning.

Then I started thinking about it. I know, I know, how un-Owl-like. But honestly, I did. And the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. We go to a system with little or no infrastructure in place. There's something there we want to exploit. Alien ruins, a planet, mining, whatever. That KP becomes to hub for that system. And we own it. A the shit you savage, scavenger, loot, mine, etc, comes back to that KP. That's fucking amazing.
The synergy this ship creates is unbelieveable. I am now going to ensure that I have at least 2-3 ships that are capable of docking with or launching from a Kraken or KP, just Soni know I can be part of said hub - and we'll have an effing hub, because that is what this game is about.

DSET finds us a system, the call goes out, TESTies congregate, the Krakens come in. The RR come in. We start ops. Resources come back to the Kraken. The collectors don't have to worry about sorting shit. Just come back to the KP and sell. The haulers then take individual loss of ship from the Kraken and convoy to refineries, etc. Not having to take individual loads from Vultures / Prospectors / Moles etc from the point of origin to the end user is a huge fucking boon.

This ship will be a game changer. Mark my words. If you invested in the KP, you my friends, you are the hub.
Those are some very good points indeed. Definitely some serious consideration to have. I'm hoping the Q&A clarifies some of this.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Still not sure whether to keep the kraken or apply the upgrade.
Dont apply it.

Its a one way trip and it is far too big a nerf to the standard Kraken.

These are two *very* distinct ships, and the Privateer isnt in any way an “upgrade” but rather a completely different ship, you are trading in a massive industrial support ship, with huge cargo hauling ability and utility, for a ship that literally is a second career as a shop keeper.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Dont apply it.

Its a one way trip and it is far too big a nerf to the standard Kraken.

These are two *very* distinct ships, and the Privateer isnt in any way an “upgrade” but rather a completely different ship, you are trading in a massive industrial support ship, with huge cargo hauling ability and utility, for a ship that literally is a second career as a shop keeper.
Depends on what you want in game. For some, having a carrier and massive support ship makes sense.
For others, being the center of commerce for all your Dudes and Dudettes in the middle of nowhere speaks to them.
It all depends on what the individual player wants. I thought the Kraken sounded like shit until I thought about it. Unfortunately, by the time I realized the potential, the sale was done.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish

Another point of view would be setting it up as something similar to a FOB BX/PX, but while in a combat mission. Keeping one in orbit or in the rear of an org battle could prove plentiful.

Steel_Monkey

Captain
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Steel_Monkey
I can't wait for the Q&A stuff and see how it all comes together. I find it interesting (could be my perception) that all the people with the negative thoughts don't own one, let alone the other Kraken but sure feel the need to voice an opinion. I'm looking forward to learning about the private rooms... I may just have a Panda Cafe :)

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I can't wait for the Q&A stuff and see how it all comes together. I find it interesting (could be my perception) that all the people with the negative thoughts don't own one, let alone the other Kraken but sure feel the need to voice an opinion. I'm looking forward to learning about the private rooms... I may just have a Panda Cafe :)
My fleet attached, I also have a credit Privateer upgrade in my buy backs.

I think its a really bad idea to permanently cripple my $1650 ship for the sake of something I would use it for, maybe once in a blue moon.

See, I quite like the idea of it, if it was modular, if it was something I could take off, but nope, its a one time deal and thats it, and no, that cargo and the functionality and options it brings is simply too much to sacrifice.

Attachments

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
My fleet attached, I also have a credit Privateer upgrade in my buy backs.

I think its a really bad idea to permanently cripple my $1650 ship for the sake of something I would use it for, maybe once in a blue moon.

See, I quite like the idea of it, if it was modular, if it was something I could take off, but nope, its a one time deal and thats it, and no, that cargo and the functionality and options it brings is simply too much to sacrifice.

It really is dependant on how you wish to play.

The Kraken is all about being a launch point for small and med size attack craft. While it does have some formidable weaponry the usefulness of said weapons will be questionable given its primary role and the risk of destruction by a Polaris, Idris or Javelin is too high to be on the battle line. As a pirate mobile base, those weapons will be useful for disabling the targets haulers but even then it's going to jump in second after making sure the battle is a given. After all, the Kraken's primary role is supporting its fleet of fighters and bombers.

The Kraken Privateer as @Blind Owl mentioned is all about supporting commerce and acting as a forward trading post to help smaller teams not have to make the long trips back to established systems to buy and sell goods. While it does loose cargo space we have no way of knowing how that's going to impact its ability to also act as a carrier and participate in fleet combat. It could be that the Privateer shop inventory costs would make the risk to high with no other downside to its ability to support fighters and bombers.

Either way you go the Kraken is going to be a wonderful ship and in high demand, more so than ships like the Idris, Polaris, and Javelin in that they are very much one-note combat ships where the Kraken is going to be able to support a slew of mission types and provide a base of operation for any team.

• Love
Reactions: Blind Owl

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting

The Kraken is all about being a launch point for small and med size attack craft. While it does have some formidable weaponry the usefulness of said weapons will be questionable given its primary role and the risk of destruction by a Polaris, Idris or Javelin is too high to be on the battle line. As a pirate mobile base, those weapons will be useful for disabling the targets haulers but even then it's going to jump in second after making sure the battle is a given. After all, the Kraken's primary role is supporting its fleet of fighters and bombers.

The Kraken Privateer as @Blind Owl mentioned is all about supporting commerce and acting as a forward trading post to help smaller teams not have to make the long trips back to established systems to buy and sell goods. While it does loose cargo space we have no way of knowing how that's going to impact its ability to also act as a carrier and participate in fleet combat. It could be that the Privateer shop inventory costs would make the risk to high with no other downside to its ability to support fighters and bombers.

Either way you go the Kraken is going to be a wonderful ship and in high demand, more so than ships like the Idris, Polaris, and Javelin in that they are very much one-note combat ships where the Kraken is going to be able to support a slew of mission types and provide a base of operation for any team.
See, the biggest flaw in the debate is thinking the Kraken is any way shape or form a combat vessel. Its a large industry ship, which ever form its in.

I happen to believe that in its standard form its a far better platform *overall* than the Privateer version. Its got the single largest interior cargo volume, by thousands of SCU of any ship in the game (you can discount the BMM figures, they arent happening) its got dedicated interior quick loading mechanisms for cargo, its got a huge cargo lift underneath, its literally the best defended, most practical bulk hauler in the entire game.

If you plan on using it to fight, you are doing it wrong.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
See, the biggest flaw in the debate is thinking the Kraken is any way shape or form a combat vessel. Its a large industry ship, which ever form its in.

I happen to believe that in its standard form its a far better platform *overall* than the Privateer version. Its got the single largest interior cargo volume, by thousands of SCU of any ship in the game (you can discount the BMM figures, they arent happening) its got dedicated interior quick loading mechanisms for cargo, its got a huge cargo lift underneath, its literally the best defended, most practical bulk hauler in the entire game.

I agree with you if you attempt to use the Kraken as a spear tip you'll find your ship disabled and the fleet crippled with the loss of a carrier. But I am not sure using it primarily as a hauler is the best use of it either. It will come down to the operational cost compared to haulers like the Hull, Caterpillar, and Hercules as well as loading/unloading time.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Yes.

And yes.

Both are right. It depends on personally choice and utility.
@atpbx if that's how you want to role, 100, works. You can still utilize the platform in a role as a base, and I would dare say, if you have only org members in the vicinity, than vanilla Kraken is the way to go. Have your team just fill the fucking ship with loot of all sorts from the region until ready to burst, fly to the nearest port of sale, and sell the shit. Or have your haulers take from the ship specific loads and transport to points of sale.

But as a hub for the region, for both org members and anyone in the area, and potentially utilizing NPC shop owners to create a local economy, then the KP is the answer. The hub before the pioneers build bases. Before planets are colonized. AS planets are colonized. The center for your ops as we explore a system, set up shop. Man, this ship is amazing!

In any of its shapes, the Kraken is plain and simple a space station on the move. The only thing that puzzles me is how a blind owl was able to see this so clearly...
I think it literally said this in the ship description, ha. But if I'm to take any credit, I'll attribute it to the many, many margaritas I've drank in the past week.
That and the fact that I can literally, for the first time, visualize what we shall be doing as a group of Privateers operating in the "outer rim". Jesus, this ship is literally taking me back to, well, the game, Privateer. That feeling that I felt when I ventured into that area of space with the derelict alien ship, right before that egg ship attacked. My mental theorycrafting with the KP is evoking the same emotional response that that game did when I first ventured out into unknown space. I'm so fucking stoked to play SC again now, and all based on this goddamned ship and what it means. It literally checks a the boxes for the kind of gameplay that I want to be involved in.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
That and the fact that I can literally, for the first time, visualize what we shall be doing as a group of Privateers operating in the "outer rim". Jesus, this ship is literally taking me back to, well, the game, Privateer. That feeling that I felt when I ventured into that area of space with the derelict alien ship, right before that egg ship attacked. My mental theorycrafting with the KP is evoking the same emotional response that that game did when I first ventured out into unknown space. I'm so fucking stoked to play SC again now, and all based on this goddamned ship and what it means. It literally checks a the boxes for the kind of gameplay that I want to be involved in.
That's a...beautiful level of nostalgia.

Forgot your password?