Dual Universe - Beta August 27

SpaceDoge

Space Marshal
Dec 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SpaceD0ge
Dual Universe launches into beta at the end of the month! There will no longer be an NDA, and the game will be accessable to all.

What is Dual Universe?

Dual Universe is a Continuous Single-Shard sandbox MMORPG taking place in a vast fully editable Sci-Fi universe, focusing on emergent gameplay with player-driven in-game economy, politics, trade and warfare.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMg15LiQwEI

I'm trying to get the hype going so we can get TEST playing this game! The beta arrives august 27th, and unfortunately it comes with a $7 monthly subscription like many other MMOs.

If any of you are planning on playing the beta, let me know as I am managing the TEST org in the game and I would like to get us all together so we can build a base!

I also have two keys to give out that will give you free access to the beta (no sub!). I'll be giving those two keys (I may find more from other players in TEST who can donate them) to people who want to get involved in the game and who will be active as well.

Let me know what you guys think!

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Tempted; and I was tempted to buy into the game earlier but I've seen enough posts from people subject to the NDA saying "wait" to hesitate. If it's a quarter of what I hope, I'll give it a try. I'll see what emerges as soon as the NDA lifts.

I love the pitch: Continuous Single-Shard sandbox MMORPG taking place in a vast fully editable Sci-Fi universe

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Tempted; and I was tempted to buy into the game earlier but I've seen enough posts from people subject to the NDA saying "wait" to hesitate. If it's a quarter of what I hope, I'll give it a try. I'll see what emerges as soon as the NDA lifts.

I love the pitch: Continuous Single-Shard sandbox MMORPG taking place in a vast fully editable Sci-Fi universe
This. I like the idea and the concept but wait and see how it turns out.

Schmokey

Captain
Jun 15, 2020
RSI Handle
Schmokey
I've been waiting for DU for ages and I'll be there on the 27th to pick it up, finally, once beta hits. Happy to take a key off your hands if you're looking to give it to someone who will be active and play the absolute shit out of DU.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hmm interesting I used to pay monthly for MMOs back in the old days and it is a good way of getting regular income to keep improving the game.

I really miss old games like ultima online and Dual universe looks kinda like a mix of ultima planetside and minecraft!!

Tempting!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hmm interesting I used to pay monthly for MMOs back in the old days and it is a good way of getting regular income to keep improving the game.

I really miss old games like ultima online and Dual universe looks kinda like a mix of ultima planetside and minecraft!!

Tempting!
It is tempting but I'd like to wait until the NDA is lifted as it seems too ambitious.

Bomer Fett

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Bomer_Fett
I know this thread has been dead for a couple of months, but I was wondering if anyone here is active in the game now that the NDA is lifted. I found 2 different Orgs in DU that I joined, :TEST" and 'TEST SQUADRON'. Which one is actually us? Do we have a base or anything setup yet? If so, where is it? I have only got a couple of hours of game play in so far, and have a tile on the Sanctuary Moon. So, far I am really liking the game. It very much reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hmm i forgot about this.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Game review attached. Anyone playing thinks it is worth it? I like the idea of a subscription model, but $15 a month is too high. I would pay $15 for the first month then maybe $5 a month after that. Steam have a free 14GB demo I will have a look at.
UK folk it is £10.49 a month on steam
Dual Universe review | PC Gamer

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I play Dual Universe, it is pretty much my main MMO right now, though I am cutting back my time there and moving over to SC. I also play Final Fantasy 14 but on a break from it, probably until the next expansion comes out.

If you like building this is a good game. They are slowly adding more PVE stuff and they continue to work on making the PVP system better (I don't do anything with PVP). I'm not a huge fan of the planet mining system (their game engine was trying to render hundreds of kilometers of underground mining tunnels to ships flying several kilometers above the ground, so they killed the tunneling mining system on planets). The old mining system still exists for asteroid mining, though, and I do a large part of my ore collecting that way.

It can be rather grindy, since you need to get ore to build pretty much everything. So you are either almost daily tending to your mining units or spending the day tracking asteroids and mining ore from them. Flying cargo missions between planets takes far more time than it needs too, though it pays pretty well and I use the "between planet downtime" to do housework, etc.

They have the start of a F2P system, based on how the old Eve Online PLEX system works, but it still hasn't been implemented. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they wouldn't want a system that would allow the people who want to play for free, to be able to.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
dualuniverse_2023-09-19_16h23m59s.png

Moved my station from space back to one of the planets. This is the WIP industrial station with my Anti-Gravity ship docked to the North side.

Forgot your password?