Dumb luck

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So I get in my Starfarer The Murders Child and trek off to pick up some gas to sell to the rubes in Olisar.

I used to bugger off across the system to grab some from Ita but that's a waste of time, literally an hour round trip. Used to go to Tram and Myers but that's got too hot these days so thought I'd try my luck at Yelas mining facilities.

Leaving Olisar a guy was buzzing about me in an M50. When I got to Yela a Freelancer popped out of nowhere but I didn't think it had got that close. As I moved round the planet i got in atmosphere, and suddenly I've got red lazer bolts zippin' all round my vision. I look at the radar, no contacts, and now I'm dead but my ship doesn't explode and flies on while it fades to black and I wake up in Jolly old 'Oli.

Must have been a friggin' stowaway.

Might have picked them up on the pad at Oli (usually I'm more careful than that but must admit on this occasion I just ran in) they might have got in while I was stationary after coming out of quantum around Yela if they were that good, who knows, if they shadowed me from Oli they may have been able to get that 'Lancer into position to drop a bastard on my gantry before I could move away.

So I jumps in my Vanguard Lopita Tama and go walkabout with the intention to pop that old hull 'o mine but I have no marker to track it down. I check the last place I'd seen it over Yela, I check Tram and Myres as that place is a hotbed of asshattery so of course that's where you'd think they'd be, but they weren't, and checked if they doubled back to Oli but no joy.

I put out an APB, ask citizens to scan 'Farers they see for owner being me and pilot being someone who wasn't me.

I get advised that someone had seen a 'Farer with a criminal rating over Microtech way but it didn't seem like enough time had passed between the skyjack and the report, remember I've flown Oli to Ita many times I know a long boring journey. With no scan I stay put, that's a ways away on a half report... I ask for scan confirmation and if anyone feels like it blowing the ship up, feel free.

"What you paying for the Bounty job?" I'm asked.
"Well, it cost me 1,900UEC to claim and on my minimum wage job the lost time equates to £1.10, so I'd pay 1,901.10UEC"

...then...

...30k error.

I sit there stating at the screen for a few moments, and for the first time ever when getting a 30k, smile. And I laugh a little.

Whoever you were, backstabber, yeah you shot me in the back of the head and stole The Child with no way for me to track you down and exert my vengeance, but you saved me 206,000UEC in lost cargo in that 30k.

It has been about three patches since my last 30k and five patches since I had a stowaway shooting me in my own ship.

Dumb luck. :glorious:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So I get in my Starfarer The Murders Child and trek off to pick up some gas to sell to the rubes in Olisar.

I used to bugger off across the system to grab some from Ita but that's a waste of time, literally an hour round trip. Used to go to Tram and Myers but that's got too hot these days so thought I'd try my luck at Yelas mining facilities.

Leaving Olisar a guy was buzzing about me in an M50. When I got to Yela a Freelancer popped out of nowhere but I didn't think it had got that close. As I moved round the planet i got in atmosphere, and suddenly I've got red lazer bolts zippin' all round my vision. I look at the radar, no contacts, and now I'm dead but my ship doesn't explode and flies on while it fades to black and I wake up in Jolly old 'Oli.

Must have been a friggin' stowaway.

Might have picked them up on the pad at Oli (usually I'm more careful than that but must admit on this occasion I just ran in) they might have got in while I was stationary after coming out of quantum around Yela if they were that good, who knows, if they shadowed me from Oli they may have been able to get that 'Lancer into position to drop a bastard on my gantry before I could move away.

So I jumps in my Vanguard Lopita Tama and go walkabout with the intention to pop that old hull 'o mine but I have no marker to track it down. I check the last place I'd seen it over Yela, I check Tram and Myres as that place is a hotbed of asshattery so of course that's where you'd think they'd be, but they weren't, and checked if they doubled back to Oli but no joy.

I put out an APB, ask citizens to scan 'Farers they see for owner being me and pilot being someone who wasn't me.

I get advised that someone had seen a 'Farer with a criminal rating over Microtech way but it didn't seem like enough time had passed between the skyjack and the report, remember I've flown Oli to Ita many times I know a long boring journey. With no scan I stay put, that's a ways away on a half report... I ask for scan confirmation and if anyone feels like it blowing the ship up, feel free.

"What you paying for the Bounty job?" I'm asked.
"Well, it cost me 1,900UEC to claim and on my minimum wage job the lost time equates to £1.10, so I'd pay 1,901.10UEC"

...then...

...30k error.

I sit there stating at the screen for a few moments, and for the first time ever when getting a 30k, smile. And I laugh a little.

Whoever you were, backstabber, yeah you shot me in the back of the head and stole The Child with no way for me to track you down and exert my vengeance, but you saved me 206,000UEC in lost cargo in that 30k.

It has been about three patches since my last 30k and five patches since I had a stowaway shooting me in my own ship.

Dumb luck. :glorious:

Sounds like you need drinking buddies.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm confused on something, how did it save the cargo? Did the 30k happen while they were landed somewhere so you were able to safely recover it?
I wasn't able to get it in the first place.

Dark Lord 30k may have planned crashing the server even without my pleas for someone to off the asshat, so if I hadn't had a murderous stowaway I'd been able to make the pickup and Dark Lord 30k would have cast his shadowy hand over the server after I'd put my money down but before I'd have been able to sell it. A full 'Farer hold of what I usually pick up is 206,000 UEC, it would have wiped 40% off my net worth.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?