Dune part 2

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm not a "The Message" expert and I don't want to derail the thread but as far as I understand it, "The Message" is referring to a company (usually Disney) prioritizing diversity/inclusivity/pandering over and at the expense of the story.

The scene I always think of is the cheesy Girl Power Assemble to help captain marvel get the infinity gauntlet through the final battle in End Game. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen happen during an epic moment that had been building up for the first Infinity Wars movie and most of the 2nd. Completely pulled me out of that moment. What a joke.

Again, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on that type of thing. They did change some female characters from the novel but honestly I think it made them more believable and interesting. Sorry, but I've been married too long to think most women will act subservient and will do whatever you tell them to and not have their own thoughts and ideas. My wife isn't even a desert nomad who has survived on a planet with gigantic sandworms or a member of a clan of space witches that manipulate the future of every faction of humanity. If she was either of those, I'd imagine she'd be even more uppity. :drunk:
Sounds like an excellent topic for The Outside!

Come on over and bring your pontification - and your friends - for some goooood times!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
"Drink wisely, choose to consume what you enjoy. Cheers!"
I'm not a "The Message" expert and I don't want to derail the thread but as far as I understand it, "The Message" is referring to a company (usually Disney) prioritizing diversity/inclusivity/pandering over and at the expense of the story.

The scene I always think of is the cheesy Girl Power Assemble to help captain marvel get the infinity gauntlet through the final battle in End Game. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen happen during an epic moment that had been building up for the first Infinity Wars movie and most of the 2nd. Completely pulled me out of that moment. What a joke.

Again, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on that type of thing. They did change some female characters from the novel but honestly I think it made them more believable and interesting. Sorry, but I've been married too long to think most women will act subservient and will do whatever you tell them to and not have their own thoughts and ideas. My wife isn't even a desert nomad who has survived on a planet with gigantic sandworms or a member of a clan of space witches that manipulate the future of every faction of humanity. If she was either of those, I'd imagine she'd be even more uppity. :drunk:
Fair enough. I like my message more than those that push agendas, because mine simply encourages you to enjoy life when, while & how you can.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Having read all of the Frank Herbert books back in the day, I'd say that I enjoyed the expanded Dune saga more than I did the original Dune story.

Given that, while I'm glad to see big-budget Dune movies finally hit the big screen, having seen Dune Part 1 I'm having a hard time getting excited about Part 2.

Is it really as good as some of the 'OMG it's awesome' reviews that are out there? Other than the sandworm imagery, what's the big deal driving the excitement I see about this film?

Unless I get more energized for it, I'll probably watch it at home on Netflix with a six pack of craft beer.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
Having read all of the Frank Herbert books back in the day, I'd say that I enjoyed the expanded Dune saga more than I did the original Dune story.

Given that, while I'm glad to see big-budget Dune movies finally hit the big screen, having seen Dune Part 1 I'm having a hard time getting excited about Part 2.

Is it really as good as some of the 'OMG it's awesome' reviews that are out there? Other than the sandworm imagery, what's the big deal driving the excitement I see about this film?

Unless I get more energized for it, I'll probably watch it at home on Netflix with a six pack of craft beer.
Your post reminds me of someone with a bad back, sore feet and a broken hand asking if I think they should go bowling.

I'd just wait.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Your post reminds me of someone with a bad back, sore feet and a broken hand asking if I think they should go bowling.
Oh don't you worry! That back can still carry a case of beer and the hands can still chug a pint! And then some!

I'm just wanting to see more on why Dune 2 is as appealing as being hinted at. I do have a long-term draw and dedication to the story having read Mr. Herbert's books. It's just a bit surprising - given the complexity of the story and past challenges filmmakers have had in presenting it - to now hear the level of kudos grow so much for Dune with this new film ... without an explanation of why.

Last edited:

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
Oh don't you worry! That back can still carry a case of beer and the hands can still chug a pint! And then some!

I'm just wanting to see more on why Dune 2 is as appealing as being hinted at. I do have a long-term draw and dedication to the story having read Mr. Herbert's books. It's just a bit surprising - given the complexity of the story and past challenges filmmakers have had in presenting it - to now hear the level of kudos grow so much for Dune with this new film ... without an explanation of why.
I'd say a lot of the praise is directed at the cinematography which would be similar to the kudos given for part 1 (something the Director is known for in general).

Also, a lot more is going on. So much infact that its caught some flak for being too fast paced to the point of being hard to keep up with (something part 1 is not known for).

Furthermore, the choices the director made in the overall vision of Frank Herbert were largely kept intact. Some things were changed but none were changed without reason. The main issue is always run time and what translates to the screen. Does experiencing Paul's first sandworm ride interest you? The book doesn't hold a candle to the movie.

The biggest changes are spoiler related so I don't want to get into them. I'll just say that there is no "2 years pass" like in the novel. If you think that's a requirement to Dune being good then this movie will disappoint you. Personally, I think it's an improvement.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I still don't like the changes.
Chani changes, that's understandable in today's world.
Leto II missing, that's okay.
Alia changes, also okay
It's the end that bothered me. PA was trying to find the path that did not lead to all out war. A course that would not lead to Jihad, but by defeating the Harkonnen and the Emperor, by threatening the supply of spice he could change/steer the course of humanity. The destruction method of the spice was ALSO a change that I didn't like, you might commit economic suicide with the water of death, but nuking your own planet is just stupid),

The whole point was that he found a way to prevent the billions of deaths he foresaw with the jihad. In this version, they made that significant change. It also makes me wonder if there wasn't the on-screen chemistry between Zendaya and Mr. Chalamet that was needed for their book relationship and they wanted to go somewhere else with the books other than the rest of the FH Dune series layout (which IMO, isn't as good as the first book)

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I still don't like the changes.
Chani changes, that's understandable in today's world.
Leto II missing, that's okay.
Alia changes, also okay
It's the end that bothered me. PA was trying to find the path that did not lead to all out war. A course that would not lead to Jihad, but by defeating the Harkonnen and the Emperor, by threatening the supply of spice he could change/steer the course of humanity. The destruction method of the spice was ALSO a change that I didn't like, you might commit economic suicide with the water of death, but nuking your own planet is just stupid),

The whole point was that he found a way to prevent the billions of deaths he foresaw with the jihad. In this version, they made that significant change. It also makes me wonder if there wasn't the on-screen chemistry between Zendaya and Mr. Chalamet that was needed for their book relationship and they wanted to go somewhere else with the books other than the rest of the FH Dune series layout (which IMO, isn't as good as the first book)
I might be misunderstanding your meaning so if my reply doesn't cover your points I apologize

I don't look at Dune as one story and Messiah as a different story. Dune and Messiah combined are the story. Paul is willing to pay the billions of lives to achieve his goals after he drank the worm piss.

I didn't mind how he was portrayed at the end of Dune part 2. It sounds like they're doing Messiah in a single film so clueing the audience in on how cold Paul can be was a good move IMO.

Also, Paul foresaw that threatening to destroy the spice fields was enough to stop the other houses from immediately interfering. The houses look at the Fremen as unpredictable savages. The threat would buy you plenty of time. How does that not make sense (in the Duneiverse, anyway)?

But the beauty of art is we all can take away different things

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I might be misunderstanding your meaning so if my reply doesn't cover your points I apologize

I don't look at Dune as one story and Messiah as a different story. Dune and Messiah combined are the story. Paul is willing to pay the billions of lives to achieve his goals after he drank the worm piss.

I didn't mind how he was portrayed at the end of Dune part 2. It sounds like they're doing Messiah in a single film so clueing the audience in on how cold Paul can be was a good move IMO.

Also, Paul foresaw that threatening to destroy the spice fields was enough to stop the other houses from immediately interfering. The houses look at the Fremen as unpredictable savages. The threat would buy you plenty of time. How does that not make sense (in the Duneiverse, anyway)?

But the beauty of art is we all can take away different things
You had me at
You Peaked, cheers!

Reactions: White Lando
Forgot your password?