EA roasting thread

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Yes, but it's a $60 boxed product with $2100 worth of microtransactions.
Star Citizen is something totally different.
Well, we have a $45 product and another $15 product called SQ42 (which most of us got for free). We can earn anything in game though it may take a while. We can unlock content and not have to grind ship by pledging more money to help support the game. I can't imagine the grind to get a Javelin any shorter than it takes to get Vader.

I don't see it as something that is totally different, just as something that is presented differently. Mostly because Star Citizen lets you share your content with others. For example, I don't have to own a Javelin to take part in a Javelin battle and be its captain. But I doubt that EA will let you be Vader just because your friend unlocked it.

It's still content that you can either grind for or unlock with cash. Just with money I'm giving to CIG, I feel like I'm keeping good people employed at a company that is making my favorite game. With EA, I feel that I'm lining the pockets of investors.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Wow... I didn't know that you could get less than a 1. Especially with 4340 ratings....
I know! But, I guess EA worked really hard at it! I hope they have a sense of Pride that they Accomplished so much!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Well, we have a $45 product and another $15 product called SQ42 (which most of us got for free). We can earn anything in game though it may take a while. We can unlock content and not have to grind ship by pledging more money to help support the game. I can't imagine the grind to get a Javelin any shorter than it takes to get Vader.

I don't see it as something that is totally different, just as something that is presented differently. Mostly because Star Citizen lets you share your content with others. For example, I don't have to own a Javelin to take part in a Javelin battle and be its captain. But I doubt that EA will let you be Vader just because your friend unlocked it.

It's still content that you can either grind for or unlock with cash. Just with money I'm giving to CIG, I feel like I'm keeping good people employed at a company that is making my favorite game. With EA, I feel that I'm lining the pockets of investors.
I can see how, superficially, one can make such comparisons, but I truly believe there are a *bunch* of differences between CIG and EA, with the number 1 being that CIG cares about their product and our experiences, and EA is nothing but a bunch of corporate suits trying to suck as much money out of gamers to line their own pockets and their shareholders, and don't care anything about the game and our experiences.

The number 2 reason would be, if EA was making this game, the $160 million we've collected over the last 5 years would have gone entirely to paying their top execs, like the 3 here who collectively earned $40 million in 2017 *alone*...
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 3.21.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 3.22.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 3.21.32 PM.png

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I can see how, superficially, one can make such comparisons, but I truly believe there are a *bunch* of differences between CIG and EA, with the number 1 being that CIG cares about their product and our experiences, and EA is nothing but a bunch of corporate suits trying to suck as much money out of gamers to line their own pockets and their shareholders, and don't care anything about the game and our experiences.

The number 2 reason would be, if EA was making this game, the $160 million we've collected over the last 5 years would have gone entirely to paying their top execs, like the 3 here who collectively earned $40 million in 2017 *alone*...View attachment 8004View attachment 8005View attachment 8006
Imagine tbe game DICE could make if they got rid of their producer, EA :)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Imagine tbe game DICE could make if they got rid of their producer, EA :slight_smile:
Right, I think that is another piece of background to this whole context. EA has been gobbling up smaller, outstanding studios (with long track records of awesome games) and then turning these formerly great studios into money-grubbing game makers, using the similar template over and over again.

Recent piece covering EA shutting down Visceral Studios:
https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Best quote from the article...when trying to show case their game to EA:
"“She was giving these massive presentations on the story, themes,” said one person who worked on Ragtag. “EA executives are like, ‘FIFA Ultimate Team makes a billion dollars a year.’ Where’s your version of that?”"

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Right, I think that is another piece of background to this whole context. EA has been gobbling up smaller, outstanding studios (with long track records of awesome games) and then turning these formerly great studios into money-grubbing game makers, using the similar template over and over again.

Recent piece covering EA shutting down Visceral Studios:
https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Best quote from the article...when trying to show case their game to EA:
"“She was giving these massive presentations on the story, themes,” said one person who worked on Ragtag. “EA executives are like, ‘FIFA Ultimate Team makes a billion dollars a year.’ Where’s your version of that?”"
The biggest middle finger we can give EA would be a successful Star Citizen launch showing that companies CAN make a great game without a money grabbing publisher.

The down side is all of the failed Kickstarters, lol.

Forgot your password?