End of Windows 10

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Hey all,

Just a quick PSA, Microsoft Windows 10 is scaling support back for Win 10 for its end of life. This means no more support or updates, and depending on which version you have will determine your version's end date.

=======================================
"wHy ArE yOu TeLLiNg Me?"........

I'd hate to see some shitty exploit used on an unsupported machine that no longer gets security updates...resulting in YOU losing ALL
of your spacehip jpegs, because some piece of shit got into your system and took all of your stuff. That would suck.

=======================================

So...

To find your version:

Press the 'Windows' button + R to bring up the 'Run' dialogue box, then type in 'winver' and click ok.

This will open a pop-up showing your version number.

Next navigate to:

To check your version's date of future death..

In some cases already, people may be eligible to upgrade for free and may need to check if the machine is capable.
To check your machine type "pc health check" in the search bar next to the Windows icon, lower left of the screen and then select the app.

Once you have it open select "check now" and you should be ok.

Everybody here (if playing space jpeg concept tech demo) should have decent rigs, you may only encounter a failure if you do not have your systems TPM enabled in the BIOs
AFAIK the upgrade to Windows 11 home version will be free, and the upgrade to Windows Pro @ $99.00 USD.

Security features:
You can turn OFF most of the secret Bill Gates spying telemetry within Win 11 Home, but totally kill it with Win 11 Pro. For most users, the home version will be ok, with Pro having better security features if you need to use remote desktop features or encrypt portable hard drives using Bit locker, etc, and a few other things like group policies and mobile device management.

As a note: Windows 12 is expected to be released in 2024.....it's still in the 'concept phase' lol.

Remember...protect your jpeg spaceships!

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Thank you Mr. Spaceman. Nicely done.
Win10 should be updated regularly, no doubt about that.
I still stick to my old plan though: Only ever install every second generation of Microsoft OS.
This served me well with Vista and Windows 8.
It shall help me sidestep Win 11 too.
As a note: Windows 12 is expected to be released in 2024.....it's still in the 'concept phase' lol.
That's probably gonna be pushed back a few months because of modularity. I'm sure about it. 😅

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Version 21H1
May 18, 2021​
Dec 13, 2022​

Hmm looks like mine got retired yesterday. Does it get a pension payment!
I was guessing somebody here must have 21H1...it's always the way...also you should check the status, if your Win 10 has officially been retired, you may have the free Win 11 upgrade unlocked.

Last edited:

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Thank you Mr. Spaceman. Nicely done.
Win10 should be updated regularly, no doubt about that.
I still stick to my old plan though: Only ever install every second generation of Microsoft OS.
This served me well with Vista and Windows 8.
It shall help me sidestep Win 11 too.

That's probably gonna be pushed back a few months because of modularity. I'm sure about it. 😅
Wish I could, I have to keep everything patched and up to date as I run virtual machines for testing malware exploits as well as needing remote desktop. Some security applications will not run unless everything is up to date, if I take work between different machines.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
I'm on the same train as @Mudhawk although I did partake for short while in Win8 at it's later stages when it was actually pretty okay by that point. I hope to hold out until 12 is out, this 11 thing seems like way more trouble than it's worth as is usually the case with every odd release.

Thanks for the heads up @Patrick Spaceman !
Yeah really depends what you need it for, I have no choice but to keep things current. It's painful going between two or more PC's but you can't run XYZ because ABC is a previous version on a machine..a ten minute job becomes a thirty minute job because you have to update software and apply patches.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
thanks for the heads up m8, looks like win 10 will be supported in some fashion until Oct 2025 if you can get the nov update:

Beginning with Windows 10, version 21H2 (the Windows 10 November 2021 Update), feature updates will be released annually in the second half of the year via the General Availability Channel. Go here to learn more. Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/11/16/how-to-get-the-windows-10-november-2021-update/

Forgot your password?