End of Windows 10

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Just as I stuck to Win7 through the shitstorm that was Vista, I too will skip the Adware known as Windows 11. Come at me, Haxorz; I'm poor.
Apparently around 100M users are still running Win7.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
thanks for the heads up m8, looks like win 10 will be supported in some fashion until Oct 2025 if you can get the nov update:

Beginning with Windows 10, version 21H2 (the Windows 10 November 2021 Update), feature updates will be released annually in the second half of the year via the General Availability Channel. Go here to learn more. Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/11/16/how-to-get-the-windows-10-november-2021-update/
Yep should be safe if you have 22H2 from October this year, might be able to slide straight into Win12 (if it happens). Looks like they may squeeze out one more version that will take us through to 2025, guess we'll see, but if they state one version till 2025, they would have to either extend 22H2 or release a 22H3 or 23H1..probably maybe....like RSI ships...it's in concept.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Excellent post...I am going to discover just what I have tomorrow morning while I am doing a little reloading. I must be honest and say I have no clue whats in my cabinet :o7:
It dawned on me two days ago, when I needed some software to do something and the license had expired...literally 90 minutes before I needed to use it..hahaha

Reactions: GPcustoms and Gucci

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I still have a distant relative who runs XP. Well, runs is a bit strong of a description, he hasn't switched on the PC for like a year or two since he got a smartphone and learnt to read and reply to his emails on it.

Also this end-of-life thing only concerns us simple mortals, MS does keep up support for any of it's operating systems for companies, for a price ofc.
I know of a Telekom (wink wink) company that still runs like half of it's machines on Win7. They still get full official updates regularly.
Linus did a video on this not too long ago how and why this is still a thing, if anyones interested it provides a good overview of it.

I just realized I gotta update to 22H2, as I'm still on 21H2, if I want this to last till Win12 comes out, and probably a bit longer with the potential of that 23H1-H2 or sumthing update.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
I still have a distant relative who runs XP. Well, runs is a bit strong of a description, he hasn't switched on the PC for like a year or two since he got a smartphone and learnt to read and reply to his emails on it.

Also this end-of-life thing only concerns us simple mortals, MS does keep up support for any of it's operating systems for companies, for a price ofc.
I know of a Telekom (wink wink) company that still runs like half of it's machines on Win7. They still get full official updates regularly.
Linus did a video on this not too long ago how and why this is still a thing, if anyones interested it provides a good overview of it.

I just realized I gotta update to 22H2, as I'm still on 21H2, if I want this to last till Win12 comes out, and probably a bit longer with the potential of that 23H1-H2 or sumthing update.
I literally just found these two an hour ago, going through my Brother-In-Law's old stuff. I jump between four machines and some things will not work if everything is not patched or on the exact version as the other machines (it annoys the piss out of me). Also messing around with malware within virtual machines...don't really want any screw-ups because I didn't patch something and took shortcuts with what I was doing, and the next minute i've divided by zero and killed us all with a black hole...(well if you just had that patched...everyone would still be alive).

20221215_135805[12299].jpg

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Reactions: GPcustoms

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Just as I stuck to Win7 through the shitstorm that was Vista, I too will skip the Adware known as Windows 11. Come at me, Haxorz; I'm poor.
Pro version you can completely kill the telemetry.

Aunfox

Space Marshal
Feb 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Aunf0x
All I see is that Windows 10 will have come and gone before StarCitizen. That is a full era of PC Operating Systems. There may be some software refactor delays if they have to start writing SC for Windows 11 native systems.

I don't mind so much as I think that has wider implications for development.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Gah, first it was XP, then Vista and now 10. After every version I go to Linux for a while then have to come back to Windows for something like SC or Photoshop and then WIndows abandons itself and I go back to Linux again for a couple years. Any idea when SC is getting a Linux booter?

'95 and '98 don't count as I wasn't online at that point and would still be playing my games on those systems if they still existed.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Gah, first it was XP, then Vista and now 10. After every version I go to Linux for a while then have to come back to Windows for something like SC or Photoshop and then WIndows abandons itself and I go back to Linux again for a couple years. Any idea when SC is getting a Linux booter?

'95 and '98 don't count as I wasn't online at that point and would still be playing my games on those systems if they still existed.
Star Citizen Linux coming in 2056...

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
So looks like we'll be getting the Linux client before the game release then.
I have joked in the past that when the game is finally released, it will go back into development as the technology in-game such as spaceships and Quantum Travel will be old technology in the real world and probably obsolete.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Well I have windows 10 so I used a windows health check to see if mine is compatible for 11. Golden on everything but the TPM. Did not recognize or discover it during the scan. Now I read about enabling in security settings on a recovery process but after geeking out in my limited cave man style I decided to just sit down with a strong drink and watch a little Gold Rush.
thing up your ass.jpg

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Well I have windows 10 so I used a windows health check to see if mine is compatible for 11. Golden on everything but the TPM. Did not recognize or discover it during the scan. Now I read about enabling in security settings on a recovery process but after geeking out in my limited cave man style I decided to just sit down with a strong drink and watch a little Gold Rush.
Just for kicks I installed Windows 11 on a laptop without the proper TPM to see if I could. It can be done though it is not supported or recommended by Microsoft. But then I found WSL2 was being wonky on that machine so the next day I installed Fedora instead.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Fun fact about Win11, it will reset your XMP to off (so basically halves your RAM speed) on every update, probably not on all machines? but I know of 3 people on whose PCs it does.
I don't want that shit anywhere near my machine that's for sure.

@GPcustoms
Some boards, like my GA Z490 Aorus Elite shipped with TPM disabled but can be enabled to show up with a BIOS update. You could check if that's the case if you really want to go 11, or you can get a plugin module for pretty cheap I believe. But I'd stay with the drink-instead method as you so wisely chose to do so lol

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Well after many adult beverages and days of recovery I looked up my mother board and indeed it does have a TPM which as of a few sober minutes ago is now enabled and PC meets the min values for upgrade to 11.....Glad thats over:o7:
Nice!

Forgot your password?