F8 Lightning is going into concept sale!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
"We won't sell the Lightning"
"We won't sell another Vanduul fighter!"
"This is the last time we'll sell ships with LTI"

"Jk we changed the role so now we feel we can sell the F8, despite it being the UEEs brand new fighter still unless we retcon the lore"
"Jk this totally isn't a Vanduul fighter it's a Vanduul fighter replica that just happens to be identical in every way"
"JK LTI on new concept ships!"

CIG is a company and if they see a avenue of revenue that they could capitalize on, they will twist things, prior promises, and logic to exploit it. Maybe the role has changed enough that selling the F8 Lightning wouldn't be a bad thing or break the balance.....but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We have more than enough fully mil-spec ships as it is, may as well start selling F7As to everyone at this rate. Vanguard and Sabre are exact same versions the Navy uses (or don't in the Sabres case, checkmate Aegis) according to lore.

Why not go ahead with the Hurricane? You could easily adjust the fluff of that to be a civilian heavy fighter.

I realllly hope when Ben said "try it out" he meant for a Free Flight or Arena Commander only thing, because if this thing is better than the Super Hornet or Sabre, everyone and their grandmother will CCU to it because people want the best.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
Flying an F8 in Arena Commander, this makes sense. It's like a modern flight sim game with the f-22 or f35. Selling either the F8 or F7A I expect the machines to have all the "best gear" removed and replaced with F7C-M comparables, but I comeback to I don't want either the F7A or F8 to be purchaseable via concept sale.

Lore-wise, I think Aegis could design the perfect vanduul killer and the UEE wouldn't buy it because of the Messer-shadow.

"We won't sell the Lightning"
"We won't sell another Vanduul fighter!"
"This is the last time we'll sell ships with LTI"

"Jk we changed the role so now we feel we can sell the F8, despite it being the UEEs brand new fighter still unless we retcon the lore"
"Jk this totally isn't a Vanduul fighter it's a Vanduul fighter replica that just happens to be identical in every way"
"JK LTI on new concept ships!"

CIG is a company and if they see a avenue of revenue that they could capitalize on, they will twist things, prior promises, and logic to exploit it. Maybe the role has changed enough that selling the F8 Lightning wouldn't be a bad thing or break the balance.....but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We have more than enough fully mil-spec ships as it is, may as well start selling F7As to everyone at this rate. Vanguard and Sabre are exact same versions the Navy uses (or don't in the Sabres case, checkmate Aegis) according to lore.

Why not go ahead with the Hurricane? You could easily adjust the fluff of that to be a civilian heavy fighter.

I realllly hope when Ben said "try it out" he meant for a Free Flight or Arena Commander only thing, because if this thing is better than the Super Hornet or Sabre, everyone and their grandmother will CCU to it because people want the best.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
CIG is a company and if they see a avenue of revenue that they could capitalize on, they will twist things, prior promises, and logic to exploit it.
Maybe so, but I have seen nothing that says they're going to sell F8's. It appears to be all fan based vapor, for which CIG has no responsibility that I can see. Has anyone seen an official CIG post that they're going to sell F8's?

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Maybe so, but I have seen nothing that says they're going to sell F8's. It appears to be all fan based vapor, for which CIG has no responsibility that I can see. Has anyone seen an official CIG post that they're going to sell F8's?
Ben has said it may be possible to be sold. The community is in outbreak to even prevent this from happening or CIG from even considering it. The community want to keep the f8 right where it is and not have it changed just to be sold.

Them again it is Ben probably the least reliable source at CIG. Even customer support leaks are more accurate then Ben. Hell as I said before rumors are more accurate then Ben.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Since it is a carrier based or short range fighter, it is going to be hard to steal. You would want to prearrange someone to take delivery and scoot away outside UEE space with it as I presume they could track it. Wherever you are you should expect 4-5 jumps with any UEE presence looking for you in all but the first system. If you plan t be refueled, whatever ship refueled you would be marked as criminal too. Not for the feint-hearted. Might be best to stuff it into the back of a StarG and jump to unclaimed space ASAP.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Since it is a carrier based or short range fighter, it is going to be hard to steal. You would want to prearrange someone to take delivery and scoot away outside UEE space with it as I presume they could track it. Wherever you are you should expect 4-5 jumps with any UEE presence looking for you in all but the first system. If you plan t be refueled, whatever ship refueled you would be marked as criminal too. Not for the feint-hearted. Might be best to stuff it into the back of a StarG and jump to unclaimed space ASAP.
UEE fleets will be found in vanduul and unclaimed space. Thats when you jump them. The issue is capturing it and gwtting away before the mommy carrier can send interceptors after you. Or preventing them from self destructing. It is not going to be able to steal one. Just like it wont be easy to get the rep to get one either. I am going to guess that there is a cooldown on how often you can buy one after you lose one.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I doubt there will be a simple mechanic for stealing small fighters in game. CIG has already said on multiple occasions they don't want this to turn into Grand Theft Auto in space., and that stealing ships will be extremely difficult, and generally be smaller ships boarding larger ones. Keep in mind that if every pirate fighter could be stolen, players could generate huge in-game income and CIG would not be selling ships to players, so much as players would be selling ships to players.

That said, if you pay to play Squadron 42, you may obtain an opportunity to steal an F8. That will likely be the only way to get one in game. If people value them enough, they may pay players to join the game and steal an F8 for them Obtaining your own wing of fighters that are better than all others and near impossible to get is the kind of thing that players gravitate to, because it becomes an epic accomplishment, rather than just another mission.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I doubt there will be a simple mechanic for stealing small fighters in game. CIG has already said on multiple occasions they don't want this to turn into Grand Theft Auto in space., and that stealing ships will be extremely difficult, and generally be smaller ships boarding larger ones. Keep in mind that if every pirate fighter could be stolen, players could generate huge in-game income and CIG would not be selling ships to players, so much as players would be selling ships to players.

That said, if you pay to play Squadron 42, you may obtain an opportunity to steal an F8. That will likely be the only way to get one in game. If people value them enough, they may pay players to join the game and steal an F8 for them Obtaining your own wing of fighters that are better than all others and near impossible to get is the kind of thing that players gravitate to, because it becomes an epic accomplishment, rather than just another mission.
This is my whole point. It isnt easy to capture a fighter. It will be possible, they said there were weapon specifically for it (energy draining guns) and specific mechanics (cockpit shots). It is still difficult though as each of those has a counter mostly in speed.

CR said you will not be able to obtain any ships in SQ42. I imagine he wont put a mechanic such as stealing a ship, especially an f8, as a loophole to this.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
This is my whole point. It isnt easy to capture a fighter. It will be possible, they said there were weapon specifically for it (energy draining guns) and specific mechanics (cockpit shots). It is still difficult though as each of those has a counter mostly in speed.

CR said you will not be able to obtain any ships in SQ42. I imagine he wont put a mechanic such as stealing a ship, especially an f8, as a loophole to this.

Wouldn't make sense from an immersive role playing perspective either in regards to the SQ42 single player campaign. If I'm in the Navy and by some miracle I disabled and boarded a Vanduul Heavy Fighter or whatever, it's not like the UEE is just going to go "oh man, finders keepers!" and let me use it as my active duty fighter. They'd break that sucker down to see what makes it tick.

And I would imagine that similarly to real life, you don't get much of a choice in what fighter you fly....if your squadron is issued Hornets, you can't really bring in your own personal Sabre or Gladius and expect that to fly with your officers.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It will be possible, they said there were weapon specifically for it (energy draining guns) and specific mechanics (cockpit shots).
There are four ways that have been mentioned officially concerning how to disable ships intact.

--Distortion Cannons do distortion damage necessary to shut down a ship's computer, which will also shut down its engines. See the Joker Sucker Punch Distortion Cannon, number 7 from the top found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13LzkKzDOKIdrhwL5E2n2Co6THa74A2izxn8lykDuPAk/edit#gid=1241570521

--An EMP Generator such as found in the Warlock version of the Avenger will shut down a target's computer. Note this also shuts down the computer of the attacker and anything else in range of the EMP burst. No details have been released about what might prove effective protection against such burst, such as perhaps an asteroid. We don't know if one can hide behind a rock while a friend uses an EMP Generator and be able to arrive seconds after the burst, or if the generator would disable through solid matter and space radius burst alike. We don't know how shields and hull and armor affect EMP damage. We don't know how computers are rated for distortion damage necessary to shut them down, nor if the special EMP hardening mentioned in the Herald description will be available to any other ships.

--Spike missiles and torpedoes, such as the Arrester III that comes with the Sentinel version of the Vanguard will shut down a target's computer if they generate enough distortion for a given target. See the bottom of the missiles tab at the bottom of the linked page above. Note that to use any sort of spike missile, you need to first remove the shields and somehow thwart the countermeasures of the ship you're attacking. Also note the time it takes to lock missiles on a target greatly effects how missiles are affected by countermeasures, so ships like the Vanguard that lock almost instantly have a huge advantage over other ships firing such weapons.

--"EMP Charges" are supposedly also going to be available with the Sentinel. There has been no real info published on this but one supposes they will act much like an EMP generator only single use. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I doubt I would get it. If I did get it, it would be a trade up, not a new purchase. I have more than enough fighters. Who really needs more than one or two anyway? The only thing the F8 would do would be to allow me to consolidate my current ship set.

I might look at the 600. If it looks even remotely interesting, I might melt something or just upgrade.

Too many ships out there like the 300 series, Retaliator, Redeemer, etc that need a SERIOUS rework prior to being usable in a released game. I am not talking about hardpoints/flightmodel/etc. I am talking about just the ability to get in and out of them, collisions/etc causing you to drop through the ship at the drop of a hat. If I get out of the pilots seat and end up dropping through the ship while it continues to fly away at 200 m/s and I lose it and need to make an insurance claim on it in live, I will be really upset. Ideally, the ship needs to be fixed or made non-flyable before 3.0 with their new insurance system upgrades.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?