Face tracking, my worries and issues.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
So the face tracking tech is very cool. Don't get me wrong it looks like a really cool idea. However I have some issues and worries that I would like addressed.

First, and foremost: How is this important to the game? In short it's not. The game could run perfectly fine without the tech. The game needs to be focused on the game, not a gimmick.

Second: how much have they put into this instead of getting 3.0/SQ42 to us sooner? To me I would have rather seen a something like this after the game gets off the ground.

Last: Will this really be a thing? Are you going to use it? will you even notices it? Yet again it goes into is it worth the money we, as the backers have put into it? and the time CIG put into it? I currently see this as a total gimmick and not something that will add value to the game.

What do you guys thing?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
First: if they want to integrate this at a later point, they have to rebuild the facian animation system, bones, and rigging. It makes sense to at least build the system that can use it later, so they wont have to rework it later.

Second: fully agreed, this was not the time to push this gimmick to a usable feature. After so many delays, its kinda sad they delayed 3.0 for this.

Third: i dunno. I mean i really like how innovative it is, and i put my money inti sc fully hoping for innivations like this. But in the real world, im not sure if im gonna pay for a mediocre webcam in a fancy rsi themed plastic box.
Was it eorth effort , will it just remain a gimmick? I dont think it matters. Gimmicks turn into maintsream and back again, even totally useless things like the kinect and vr. Nonetheless its something that no one has dared to even try before, and thats what star citizen is all about.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
the head tracking will be yuge for situational awareness

I love the thought of having this without having to wear a full VR rig

well worth the time and effort IMO

face to speech synching isn't a big deal to me as the character animations are still deep in the uncanny valley

who cares if your lips move perfectly while you are standing in an unnatural pose?

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
I rather just have the head tracking and not care about facial expressions. I don't think it brings anything to the game at all and will take up resources for player spots. To me the game keeps going away from an MMO and more towards 30 man instanced base RP survival game.
My heart just skipped because you are not far from the truth.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
im actually all for face recognition tech as you as a player can make your own coms without typing or you can state stuff during briefings for large orgs. honestly this is the perfect time t implement this as said above they would have needed to redo all character creation work to implement this type of feature. i dont think they took anyone off of working on 3.0 to do this as this is a character creation type of technology. it may actually help implement less important character dialog without needing to put vr gear on every person to animate every action. aka joe blow from accounting could do it. it will be a good feature ill buy into it for sure.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
the head tracking will be yuge for situational awareness

I love the thought of having this without having to wear a full VR rig

well worth the time and effort IMO

face to speech synching isn't a big deal to me as the character animations are still deep in the uncanny valley

who cares if your lips move perfectly while you are standing in an unnatural pose?
I found it a bit eerie, to see the lips and face move in sync with the words, but to have the overall human look fairly unnatural.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
From what I've been able to find out, a lot of this tech was designed by another company (faceware tech). It seems that the "work" being done is just integrating it into their systems. If this is the case, It might really be better to integrate it now, then have to rebuild things later.

Considering the number of times the community has let CIG have it with both barrels about redoing work, perhaps this time we should be giving them kudos instead.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I like what I see, if you dont, dont fund his dream.
well the issue there is I have already funded his dream, and I am worried that if he keeps adding and changing his dream it will never become reality. In the past he has changed it, and for the most part I have enjoyed what I have seen. However I want to play Star Citizen, so my issue is that something like this, where it has no real gameplay value may have got time or priority over part of his dream that I helped fun.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
To me the game keeps going away from an MMO and more towards 30 man instanced base RP survival game.
yes it is his dream, but we are the ones funding it. and we need to make sure it says on task and not go down a rabbit hole.
well the issue there is I have already funded his dream, and I am worried that if he keeps adding and changing his dream it will never become reality. In the past he has changed it, and for the most part I have enjoyed what I have seen. However I want to play Star Citizen, so my issue is that something like this, where it has no real gameplay value may have got time or priority over part of his dream that I helped fun.
When SC is going to be played by players, it will look a lot like the speedrun they did after their pilot crashed during the demo. It won't look anything like the scripted stuff and the roleplaying they were trying to do.
Also, think of it this way: I'm funding someone to build a car. Then he takes my money and, WAAAAAAAY before the pile of parts looks anything like a car, adds spinners, a vinyl player, a toaster and a fishtank (no pun intended) to it.
To be honest, I was disheartened by yesterday's presentation.

Forgot your password?