Face tracking, my worries and issues.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
So the face tracking tech is very cool. Don't get me wrong it looks like a really cool idea. However I have some issues and worries that I would like addressed.

First, and foremost: How is this important to the game? In short it's not. The game could run perfectly fine without the tech. The game needs to be focused on the game, not a gimmick.

Second: how much have they put into this instead of getting 3.0/SQ42 to us sooner? To me I would have rather seen a something like this after the game gets off the ground.

Last: Will this really be a thing? Are you going to use it? will you even notices it? Yet again it goes into is it worth the money we, as the backers have put into it? and the time CIG put into it? I currently see this as a total gimmick and not something that will add value to the game.

What do you guys thing?
I am not seeing this as worthwhile. It only works if you are not using VR and can afford the bandwidth and buy/have the hardware. It also would damage the immersion of those viewing the characters not using FOIP.

There are other technologies that would do just as well, some of them actually quite old. (The old Talkback engine from 2003 for example would take voice and create lipsync animations in real time, requiring no additional bandwidth than is already used for VOIP. )

It strikes me as a desperate gimmick because they blew the launch of 3.0 due to excess feature creep and they had to show something.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I am not seeing this as worthwhile. It only works if you are not using VR and can afford the bandwidth and buy/have the hardware. It also would damage the immersion of those viewing the characters not using FOIP.

There are other technologies that would do just as well, some of them actually quite old. (The old Talkback engine from 2003 for example would take voice and create lipsync animations in real time, requiring no additional bandwidth than is already used for VOIP. )

It strikes me as a desperate gimmick because they blew the launch of 3.0 due to excess feature creep and they had to show something.
What i have understood so far it will work with every webcam, but theirs is dedicated to that task and will have an improved performance. Actually i think the ps3eye will provide the same 60 fps for ~30$.

I don't understand why it will destroy the immersion when people use Foip while you're not using it.

Idk and havn't found this talkback engine so can't say much about it. But it will definitely not give you a "free headtracking" (well we will see how good it is).

Bandwidth we have been talking about RTT which allows "streaming" of gamecontent at very reduced bandwidth. And i think Foip is using this technology. Foip analyzes your face and sends the signal to my computer "make smile number 18 with eye position 70° left and 30° up). Well it gets rendered that way on my computer which is requiring a very low bandwidth. Probably less than for transfering my voice. Ofc it isn't that easy but it will be a lot less than transfering a video.
It will produce definitly a higher cpu load on your computer but regarding bandwidth its probably a very small part.

We don't know how much time has been really invested to create this feature. So simply we can't tell much about feature creep.

As you might have noticed theres a lot "we don't know exactly yet" so we can argue till death or SC come.

aftershock2100

Space Marshal
Mar 2, 2015
RSI Handle
aftershock2100
Im pretty excited for it. For one, im huge into role-playing and it will go a long way with it, it will go a long way for those who just want immersion as well. Another BIG factor, is think of all the youtube videos and cool content we will now get because of this. Without the need to animate everything, we wont need to hide all the characters behind helmets, theres a ton more we can now do!

Greengiant506

Admiral
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Greengiant506
I'm looking forward to it (providing it works and is smoothed out a bit), when the developers of the head tracking software (don't have a reference but I saw it once on a thing somewhere) were talking about the technology they showed what it looked like in a different game and it was pretty spot on for facial expression, not the creepy ass smiling we saw in the 3.0 demo that looked more like a garrys mod creation.
With proper implementation it could end up being a pretty fun tool to use. Plus I look forward to seeing the stunned faces of everyone who forgot it was enabled.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
While there are a lot of great points and discussion on this so far, it seems like everyone is overlooking the best part of this tech.

Drunken. Space. Selfies.

Because of TEST's full integration and control over CIG it was actually @Montoya that demanded we have facial tracking for the express purpose of everyone knowing how drunk we are just by looking at us.

Really though, this wasn't the cause of any delays in 3.0. The base tech was developed by another company and the fact that it was "worked on for a year" tells me that it was developed when the team had time to do it, but not that it was a top priority.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
While there are a lot of great points and discussion on this so far, it seems like everyone is overlooking the best part of this tech.

Drunken. Space. Selfies.

Because of TEST's full integration and control over CIG it was actually @Montoya that demanded we have facial tracking for the express purpose of everyone knowing how drunk we are just by looking at us.

Really though, this wasn't the cause of any delays in 3.0. The base tech was developed by another company and the fact that it was "worked on for a year" tells me that it was developed when the team had time to do it, but not that it was a top priority.

Ooooh, never thought of that! I'm sold!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
What i have understood so far it will work with every webcam, but theirs is dedicated to that task and will have an improved performance. Actually i think the ps3eye will provide the same 60 fps for ~30$.

I don't understand why it will destroy the immersion when people use Foip while you're not using it.

Idk and havn't found this talkback engine so can't say much about it. But it will definitely not give you a "free headtracking" (well we will see how good it is).

Bandwidth we have been talking about RTT which allows "streaming" of gamecontent at very reduced bandwidth. And i think Foip is using this technology. Foip analyzes your face and sends the signal to my computer "make smile number 18 with eye position 70° left and 30° up). Well it gets rendered that way on my computer which is requiring a very low bandwidth. Probably less than for transfering my voice. Ofc it isn't that easy but it will be a lot less than transfering a video.
It will produce definitly a higher cpu load on your computer but regarding bandwidth its probably a very small part.

We don't know how much time has been really invested to create this feature. So simply we can't tell much about feature creep.

As you might have noticed theres a lot "we don't know exactly yet" so we can argue till death or SC come.
I was thinking ruining immersion viewing those that aren't using it. :)

The Talkback engine is rather old, 2003. :) One product it was used in was called Mimic and is from 2003.

A VR headset includes head tracking, in fact, if you have an NVIDIA card that is at least a GTX 660 you can use Android Cardboard or GearVR as both a screen and head tracking. :)

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
How long do you think before someone makes a facemask that tricks the camera into making their character do the troll face everywhere they go...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
You guys think to much about thing you don't have all the answers to and that create problems and more questions that can not truthfully be correctly answered. Tho I love theory crafting the time to understand when a proper or correct answer is never going to be found, since we do think different about what we like and there for no theory is wrong or right until proven one way or another.

You like this, I like that, for me it's going to be awesome for you it's going to be crap so who is right..
Well answer is "No one"
The correct answer is "Respect"

:beers:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor