Fallout 76 Info & Tips

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Greetings!

After plenty of game time and some all nighters, i can start all over again as the perk system and missing info led to a bad build. In an effort to inform any interested Test member, i'd like to write down some tips and tricks and a general guide on how to level up.

The perk system and cards

Each level you get 1 upgrade. This upgrade contains a stat + connected with an appropriate level card in that stat.

here: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks ,you can build your character. But there is a mechanic you need get right from the very first level up: CARDS

- from level 2 to 50, you get exactly the same cards at exactly the same level
- you get 1 card pack every 5 levels after lvl 10, which contains random cards (sometimes non appropriate level cards for your level)
- you can trade low level cards with players, but higher level cards need a CHARISMA stat unlock
- you cannot horde levels and wait for a specific one to put cards into. Each level comes after the other, so even at level 20 without a level up done, you go through each level step by step with those level cards

What is the big deal?

By choosing 1 stat level up with 1 level restricted card, you will run into a situation, where no card is of interest to you. By picking a random card, you lost the chance to level up an existing cards rank and may have reached your stat limit in time and cannot choose a good perk later on, as you are capped at 15!

Example: "Lifegiver" - you get +HP. 3 Ranks total. This perk unlocks at level 50! You cannot level up and choose after this level. The only way to get this ranked up is

a) Trade a player who is willing to give the perk at rank 1 to you, or
b) Random luck with the free card packs every 5 level

So what should i do?

1) Use the link to the perk builder and build your character
2) Look at the LEVEL REQUIREMENTS of each perk you want
3) Write down THE SEQUENCE of when to take what card

This can look like the following: (you start at level 2)

2 - INT (Stimpack + healing)
3 - AGI (auto use Stim at 20% health)
4 - CHA (lone wanderer)
5 - STR (...)
6 - Free! Level up a rank of one of your cards
7 - Free!

This way, you can make sure that you get every perk with every (maybe) rank before hitting the stat cap.

-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

Tips

+ Plans are the most important things to look for. They sometimes get offered at vendor bots, but you will more often find them in the world. Likely near workshops, mostly hidden as a small pile of paper on a table. They are also offered as random quest event loot. You have to read the plan to unlock it. Dublicated ones will stay in the inventory and can be traded with other players

+ A simple weapon plan is king! Like "Plan: Shotgun" This one will allow you to craft shotguns. By crafting and then scrapping them, you will randomly unlock mods for this weapon. Craft 10-200 to get most mods

+ A mod is only worth buying, if you cannot find a lot of those weapons. For example, if you rarely find a certain type of gun and want to stick with it (and have the apporpriate INT perk to craft advanced mods) or if the mats are very rare and you cannot afford to craft a lot of those weapons, then a mod for 100-500 caps is worth it.

+ Certain rare plans at the same spot have a spawn timer. There is one plan for a Vault Suit near the starter town, but i only got it once (looked 8 times for it now). This plan allows you to craft your vault tec suit and thus be able to unlock some mods which will make it a little better.

+ You can always fast travel for free to a) your camp and b) the vault start exit. Those are yellow symbols on your map.

+ If another player built his base in a spot where your base will spawn after you log in later, your camp will be copied and stored and you have to re build it somewhere new for no additional cost.

+ If your camp cannot be build as a whole structure, store it and use it part by part. Stored structures take up capacity! Scrap those to free up capacity.

+ Camps get attacked by system spawned enemies. May as well be 10 sec after you put down the first structure. Later on, the simple turrets wont hold of a single enemy (lvl25+)

+ Equipment breakage is real. Do not overlook this, as you your weapon will break quickly. There are good perks to counter this.

+ If you think a container is too empty (only 1-2 things), then look at the Luck perks. Those increase certain loot in containers. If a container is empty but you havent been there, someone else recently looted it. This excludes some containers; they will always yield some loot.

+ Ammo has weight and while 2000 of a round only account for 2-5 pounds, Fusion Cores, Missiles and Nukes quickly overload you. There are perks for that ...

+ Do not waste time getting all the scrap in the world. Choose what you need for your armor, weapon and discard the rest. Same goes for Ammo and Guns. Highly valuable scrap can be sold, common scap cannot be sold.

+ Mutations occur randomly when receiving rad dmg. Check those out if you want a certain one, choose the LUCK perk "Starched Genes" at Rank 2 and try out your luck. Later on you can find very rare serums which trigger mutations. I havent found a single one yet (lvl 38).

+ The game is still very buggy. If you miss a quest or if something is not right (perk cards do not stack or wont stay in place), then relog.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Good tips!

I think the big problem here for the newer players is that they have no idea what perks they should want!

Do you focus on shotguns? Rifles? Explosives?

Hell, Ive been playing for about 30hrs so far and Im still not sure about whether or not I should get more perks for the shotgun, which I rarely used in F04!

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
that they have no idea what perks they should want!
Absolutely! I chose "Ghoulish" in hope of generating HP over time from rads. It worked in F3 (i think), but was changed in F4 into only healing HP the moment you receive rad dmg.
Without active rad dmg, you will not regenerate life. So yes, those perk cards can make or break your build.

For your described options, i would look at the perk cards and what dmg you need and dont need:

- CHA offers 2 perks: one for reducing dmg taken by % when you hit for 2 sec and one, that increases all dmg taken by your target.

- Do you have a perk for Shotguns, that allows armor penetration? If yes, do Shotguns have a mod, which does the same? Because you might not need the perk and can substitude with a mod.
Is your playstyle more to fight in mid range with a blast type weapon, or do you enjoy sniping with rifles? Auto or single shot? These options need to be set in place in your personal agenda :).

- Mutations offer interesting alternatives and can be the "40%" that make your build, for example by giving more armor.

//

In my build, i chose to not rank up the weapon dmg perk, as the first level yields + 10%, but only 5% more each rank. If you have multiple grades (like same perk, but called "Expert ---" or "Master ---"), each first rank will offer 10% = 30% dmg for 3 Cards, but another 30% need 6 more cards! That will close a lot of options.
Then we take a look at LUCK and see, that there is the "Bloody Mess" Perk, for 5% to all dmg for each rank.

TL:DR
==> Can you substitude dmg from one stat to a few? Will those other stats help your playstyle or not?
==> Do you really need to scrap? Do you really need all those action points? Shrinking down your options to what is the most fun for you will offer great buffed up builds.
==> Have you decided on a mutation? No need to get one
==> Maybe you want to have 2 sets of weapons? Maybe doing everything IS the thing that is fun for you? Have you considered a build, offering you MORE options but always be mediocre but never bad?

Hope that helps

Reactions: Ammorn

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
Good tips!

I think the big problem here for the newer players is that they have no idea what perks they should want!

Do you focus on shotguns? Rifles? Explosives?

Hell, Ive been playing for about 30hrs so far and Im still not sure about whether or not I should get more perks for the shotgun, which I rarely used in F04!
I think you get more bang for the buck, by getting strong back perk ( +10 wgt for each rank ).

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Vendor locations, and their shared inventory and caps.
Great map! Was looking for something like this, thanks!

Between the "Abandoned Mine Site Kittery" and "Charleston Fire Dep.", a supermutant trader is walking up and down with his cow "Moo Moo". He has some cool plans, like the black obsidian dagger and other more rare finds.

I followed himfrom the Fire Dep. down south through the hills, but he kept going further after a long break. I also saw him going up north (east of the Medical Center), but did not follow him there.

The strong back perk is literally in last place on paper :D. But if you convince Montoya to take it, i will buy you a beer.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
(Story)

In the event that just took place, it would be a waste to not tell the true story of Whitespring.

Randomy going there to check the vendor at the train station, i hear the boss enemy sound. Turns out to be the Scorched Beast (Bat) lvl 50. I am a lvl 27 melee only btw.

So this bat and i we go way back. I have never been able to properly beat it up due to it being airborne. This time, i had the Whitespring Robots on my side. They shot left and right and engaged in the fight. Carefully not to hit them, i landed some hits while the bat was on the ground.

After a few minutes, it headed towards the main house, where the big robots immediately engaged in combat. And here it went horribly wrong ...

The ultrasonic attacks blew up the cars, the cars blew up the robots, the robots thought i was the culprit and i had 2 Sentry Robots, 3 of the "female" ones and around 5 Nanny bots shooting at me.

For whatever reason, a horde of feral ghouls joined in, surrounding me. I clawed left and right an killed as many as i could, while the bat and the robots fired at me.

It was a stimpack party mixed with explosions for a couple of seconds. Then, after clearing the horde and some bots, the bat landed again and i threw some plasma grenates. Killed off the Sentry bots with that.

What more could go wrong here? Another horde of ghouls appeared, ready to bite me. Their leader this time: an Alpha Deseased Deathclaw at lvl 31... of course the bat still kept shooting at me.

Shortly after i got thrown around by both the Deathclaw and the exploding cars, the beast had to die and it did. I slew the Deathclaw, ran to the bat and waited for my chance. It landed, it screamed and it died on the spot. Game over, gg.

I got 1 Shotgun and it's bones out of it.

Total deaths estimated:

Security Robots: ~ 15
Nanny Bots: ~ 10
Female Combat Bots: 3
Sentry Bots: 2
Ghouls: ~ 12
Deathclaws: 1 Alpha (King)
Scorchebeast: 1 lvl 50
Cars: ~ all.. just all

Stimpacks used: ~ 18
Weapon: Mole Miner Gauntlet lvl 20, upgraded (100+ dmg)
Ranged Weapon: 2 Plasma G.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Ganji and Bambooza
Forgot your password?