First draft images of the JR Fabs SC PC Crate I won are in

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Not fully confirmed yet but currently looking at

ASUS rog maximus hero x board with 32GB RAM, 2 x 1TB m2 ssd's and some sort of 1080ti

I wasn't really prepared to be buying new PC parts lol

fortunatley I had the money set aside to buy an expensive alienware laptop so at least I had the funds
The Palit 1080ti are really good for the money - were the cheapest 1080ti available when I bought mine (cheaper than the crappie reference leaf blower ones!). Mind you it's a 3 slot card so make sure it fits!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
this is a thing? why is it not made of plastic?
Hand crafted from the finest materials, my friend*

* = I don't know maybe it will be once the prototype is done?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
this is a thing? why is it not made of plastic?
That's a really good question. It's part of the design production process. It's made out of wood because it's cheaper than plastic for the manufacturing stage. You could 3d print this, nothing technical stops you. It's just that CNC is actually a lot faster for large objects, and you're not trying to maintain a constant temperature. That and, if you have the CNC machine, and some plywood lying around, why not Vs the several Kg's of PETG that would consume.

What's sitting on the CNC machine's table is probably not the finished product waiting to be painted though. It's probably a prototype or mold blank. It's got handles stuck to the side, and a for the lid latch - so I'm thinking prototype. Once it's got any kinks worked out of the shape, they'll be able to use this - or more likely a sibling - to create a mold and reproduce it. The process is fascinating to watch, if you ever get a chance to see it.

Forgot your password?