First image of an actual black hole!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If this is several billion years old, I wonder how creationists will explain it. Maybe since the earth is flat, it will not get sucked in... the earth is aerodynamic ;)
that particular galaxy was "only" 55 million light-years away or so...so when the light originated, we were still running around with the dinosaurs here on our flat earth 🤪

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
My bad, I was speaking more towards the light scientist have caught emitting from the center of a black hole. But yes, the light we see surrounding a black hole remains visible because of the bend in space time. In fact, it's the only explanation for WHY we would see it in the first place. I think I was typing before thinking ... lol

But yeah ... black holes are pretty cool. It was an awesome song in the 90s too ...
The things I can think of "emitting" from black holes are Hawking radiation, the jet streams and (possibly) gravitational waves (the same way a big boat would cause waves by moving through water, so not really emitting it, but hey.)

Now, I'm a little rusty on the details. But Hawking radiation should be a way to make sure black holes don't violate too much of the known physical laws, and quantum physics in particular. One of these laws is that information on a subatomic scale can't be destroyed. So there should be some form of evaporation/information leaking out of the hole, although this is not in the form of light/photons. This isn't experimentally proven, but this model does give a lower limit to how small black holes can be created, which agrees with current observation.

With the jets, the story is a little different, as the jets are made up of energy not getting sucked into the black holes point of no return before being shot out at close to light speeds. Mass that gathers around the hole will fall closer and closer to the hole, as their potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Due to how energy and rotations work (too long mathematical headache to do here), the black hole has to make the material loose energy to make it actually fall in and not just spin around faster and faster. This energy loss is... taken care of by the jets. Material/energy is shoved away along the poles of the black hole without passing the event horizon/point of no return. These have been detected before. Might even exist pictures of them. Or at least of jets forming the same way from other kinds of astronomical objects.

If you can find where you heard about scientists detecting photons from beyond the event horizon (at least, that's what I guessed was going on) I would LOVE to read more about it. Seriously, finding experiments going against common physics is the most fun.

//Astronomer that should have gone to bed 2 h ago.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Now lets hear some off the wall test theories as to what a black hole is.
Interesting that this auspicious event(horizon) has occurred so close to the 15th of April, which is tax day in the U.S., and every year a large percentage of my earnings disappear into a black hole also known as the internal revenue service

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Here's an article on the subject regarding light emission. Here

For two weeks, the astronomers were able to observe flashes of light being released by the newly active V404 Cygni, which is one of the closest known black holes to Earth. It was woken up when the gravitational pull of its partner star pulled the two in too close, causing the black hole to strip away the surface matter of the star, before the whole thing fell in to release an incredible burst of radiation.

Awesome.

dwbrn2

Captain
May 12, 2018
RSI Handle
commanderconnor
I thought I heard one of the scientist during the presentation today say, the dark area is the "shadow" of the singularity at the center of it? That bright yellow stuff is light being torn apart as it is sucked in. Wow that's some suckin!

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Here's an article on the subject regarding light emission. Here

For two weeks, the astronomers were able to observe flashes of light being released by the newly active V404 Cygni, which is one of the closest known black holes to Earth. It was woken up when the gravitational pull of its partner star pulled the two in too close, causing the black hole to strip away the surface matter of the star, before the whole thing fell in to release an incredible burst of radiation.

Awesome.
That's an interesting article, thanks!

It looks like the light emitted is from the accretion disc, the disk of matter spinning around the black hole, and not from the inside of the black hole or the other side of the event horizon.
The article on ScienceAlert was not as clear on this as the article in Nature it was referencing was.

The new thing in that report (Mariko Kimura, 2016) seems to be that the rate at which the black hole is stripping the star of it's mass, is much slower than scientists thought was needed for the effect to occur. So it is really cool stuff that changed how we looked at effects of black holes. Just not light escaping the event horizon levels of changing. 🙂

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
The things I can think of "emitting" from black holes are Hawking radiation, the jet streams and (possibly) gravitational waves (the same way a big boat would cause waves by moving through water, so not really emitting it, but hey.)

Now, I'm a little rusty on the details. But Hawking radiation should be a way to make sure black holes don't violate too much of the known physical laws, and quantum physics in particular. One of these laws is that information on a subatomic scale can't be destroyed. So there should be some form of evaporation/information leaking out of the hole, although this is not in the form of light/photons. This isn't experimentally proven, but this model does give a lower limit to how small black holes can be created, which agrees with current observation.

With the jets, the story is a little different, as the jets are made up of energy not getting sucked into the black holes point of no return before being shot out at close to light speeds. Mass that gathers around the hole will fall closer and closer to the hole, as their potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Due to how energy and rotations work (too long mathematical headache to do here), the black hole has to make the material loose energy to make it actually fall in and not just spin around faster and faster. This energy loss is... taken care of by the jets. Material/energy is shoved away along the poles of the black hole without passing the event horizon/point of no return. These have been detected before. Might even exist pictures of them. Or at least of jets forming the same way from other kinds of astronomical objects.

If you can find where you heard about scientists detecting photons from beyond the event horizon (at least, that's what I guessed was going on) I would LOVE to read more about it. Seriously, finding experiments going against common physics is the most fun.

//Astronomer that should have gone to bed 2 h ago.
I have no idea what you just said but.. 1) I am thoroughly turned on, and 2) I am forced to believe what you said.

Forgot your password?