Flight equipment advice

CloudyDaze

Grand Admiral
Dec 5, 2018
RSI Handle
C-Daze
I have just recently come out of hibernation and started playing SC vigorously and regularly. I am currently using dual T16000s and I am loving it. I decided to go ahead and pull the pin upgrading some of my gear.

I am looking at getting just the right stick and I do want to get a set of pedals. I figured for a left stick the T16000s would be just fine and if one breaks down I have another to back it up.

I am not sure if I should go with the Virpil Con Alpha R / WarBRD base or run with a VKB Stick & base, if the VKB is the better choice which version?

I also want to get a set of decent pedals but not break the bank, I looked at the CM Pro Pedals but I wasn't sure of the build quality or if there was a better-suggested set of pedals that aren't a major investment.

I appreciate any insight.

P.S. @sum1, I haven't forgotten about you, Polaris Booklet INC

• Glorious
Reactions: sum1

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
What do you want to do in SC? If you're hauling, or mining pedals are cool, good for mellow flying. But I got rid of mine due to dogfighting. Imo they are not the way to go when you're fighting a lot. 2 t16000's or if you have the $$ the Virpil Constellations are killer. Twist in the stick so you don't need pedals. Way more responsive, and lots of buttons/switches/hats to bind.

I've been thru T16000's, Warthog JS and throttle, CH pro throttle, thrustmaster pedals... finally landed on Virpil and, this is the way.

Reactions: Radegast74

CloudyDaze

Grand Admiral
Dec 5, 2018
RSI Handle
C-Daze
What do you want to do in SC? If you're hauling, or mining pedals are cool, good for mellow flying. But I got rid of mine due to dogfighting. Imo they are not the way to go when you're fighting a lot. 2 t16000's or if you have the $$ the Virpil Constellations are killer. Twist in the stick so you don't need pedals. Way more responsive, and lots of buttons/switches/hats to bind.

I've been thru T16000's, Warthog JS and throttle, CH pro throttle, thrustmaster pedals... finally landed on Virpil and, this is the way.
I appreciate the insight, I am mainly interested in dogfighting and combat. I will be doing other stuff like mining and salvaging for $$ with the reclaimer and orion but that will be an afterthought. I went ahead and ordered one of the virpil alpha constellations with the warbrd base, I also canceled my order for the pedals if that is more of a nuisance with combat.

Reactions: StdDev

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I have the Virpil Constellation Alphas with the WarBrd base, and love them! Lots of people have written about them, the hype is real...just be aware the sticks are a little thick (if you have small hands, F) and are a little high, so you will need some sort of high elbow rest or mount for them.

The knock with VKB is that their customer service is awful. Plus, they only really use metal gimbals on their most expensive sticks. Hopefully, the competition with Virpil will make them improve.

CloudyDaze

Grand Admiral
Dec 5, 2018
RSI Handle
C-Daze
Yea, the more I read about the Virpils the more I am getting excited, nothing but good stuff. I wonder what the wait time is on the Virpils, the order shows the stick and base as back-ordered. I really want to pull the trigger and buy 2 of them but I think I will stick with one for now and use the T16000 in the left.

Last edited:

Will C.

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mute_01
I've had the Warbrd grip and two Delta grips and now i have 2 alpha grips from Virpil. I have had not issues with them. If the buttons or switches every go bad you can find them in a lot of places on the interwebs to buy replacements. I went thru 9 T-16000's over the years b4 upgrading.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
Damn and heres me with pedals and a warthog hotas and never used it on SC because i cant wrap my head around the bindings.

Is dual sticks the way to go ?

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
Damn and heres me with pedals and a warthog hotas and never used it on SC because i cant wrap my head around the bindings.

Is dual sticks the way to go ?
There's a lot of people using pedals and hotas set ups that are happy, please don't let me throw you off. I personally found that in long engagements, or dogfighting for hours on end, using pedals became tiresome. Just the physical act of moving them, not to mention the slower responsiveness, compared to a quick flip of the wrist.

Over the last 8 years I've tried most set ups and find dual stick to be the most intuitive. Best feel, with less wasted physical movement. This is for combat flying. Pedals and a big throttle feels amazing for immersion while casual flying imo.

I'm currently running a Virpil and Warthog JS combo, but will be swapping the warthog out soon for a dual Virpil set up. Cosmo cam on the right side, can't wait.

Binding all the stuff can be an uphill battle, but SC handles it quite well. Just log into a freeflight and work it out. It might take a few stabs at it. Lots of people here with experience that can help you. I needed help with my Virpil when I first got it, it wasn't Vipril or the Noobifier who helped me, it was someone from these forums. If you have all that stuff already, hook it up and start binding!

CloudyDaze

Grand Admiral
Dec 5, 2018
RSI Handle
C-Daze
Only reason I went with dual-stick is I found 2 of the older style T16000s brand new never opened both for $30, I tried using a throttle a friend has for DCS and I just feel like I have more fun with the dual-stick, both hands are quite active. Pedals I can't speak to at all but I feel like if I just want to fly lazily it would be easier without them after considering the previous post.

Reactions: Texelis
Forgot your password?