Forbes is at it again. This time talking trash about Netflix.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So this article popped up for some reason in my suggestions. Netflix has 175 days left to pull off a miracle... or it's all over. They're saying that in 175 days, Disney's new streaming service is going to put Netflix out of business. The writer claims to be a "professional investor and chief analyst". Yet all I read out of the article is "netflix is the past, go watch disney!".

He put in some facts, but without context. For instance, he said that netflix had 10.4 billion dollars in debt. What he left out was that Netflix is expected to spend 15 billion in original shows this year. Of course they won't take on all that risk. Getting investors is standard procedure. He states very clearly that Netflix "is not the future of TV". Yet he doesn't take into consideration that Netflix is responsible for 15% of all global internet traffic. The bottom line is that he neglects to mention that Netflix has over 150 million subscribers. That's over 21 billion dollars in revenue per year.

Saying it's the end of the road for a company without any proof other than conjecture, is ignorant. Yet here they are, proudly proclaiming that disney's new service is going to end netflix in 175 days. Because fuck logic, right? I think it's safe to say that whatever Forbes used to stand for, is gone. When I was growing up it was all about "fortune 500", success stories, and the rags to riches trademark of the US. Now it's just clickbait and sellouts. Doesn't anyone in the media have standards anymore?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Nope... Then again I'll be adding Disney's new streaming service to Netflix and Hulu. Tried NBC All Access but they were not willing to put any of their current shows on it and HBONow is good but their shows tend to be so good id rather just own them.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I won’t be adding Disney. I have two streaming services and that’s enough. I already buy the movies I really want from marvel/Disney, so adding their service does nothing for me. Yep, I really want to watch reruns of Miley Cyrus imploding, I mean Hannah Montana .... NOT

The only thing that will happen is Disney will lose their revenue from the one/two movies a year I try.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I guess someone at Disney thought it was a good idea to pay a shill at Forbes to write that bullshit. What an idiot...

Disney is going to crush Netflix... With WHAT???
Some new even-more-woke-than-TLJ Star Wars series? Or with their new trilogy helmed by RJ who basically ruined SW for the fans and thus for Disney shareholder, and written by the two total failures who just recently absolutely ruined GoT for HBO?
By adding even more new Marvel shows that get canceled after half a season beacuse they are all exactly the same boring mess of nothing, shows for which no one could give a shit anymore?
Or by putting on some new Disney cartoons that will end up available on their cable network anyways, or at least won't increase their earnings cos (hopefully) no one is stupid enough to pay for Disney's cable And their streaming service?
Really Forbes?
My God you're dumb.

I have Netflix, and I'll keep it. I've had Amazon while the Grand Tour was on, but just for that, otherwise it's absolutely worthless, there is nothing on it (I hear it's much different in the USA though).
I guess I'll pay for Amazon again when The Expanse comes out.
Disney though? Nope. No reason to do so. Only thing I could think of is cartoons.
By the time the kid gets old enough to watch cartoons, things might change, but I doubt it. I still have all the cartoons on my HDD that a kid should ever need. Complete collection of good ol Tom n Jerry, Yogi Bear, Roadrunner, Wacky Races and a few others. Still need to find copies of our local TV shows/cartoons for kids, some were pretty good.
And Top Cats! Top Cats was awesome! lol

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Nope... Then again I'll be adding Disney's new streaming service to Netflix and Hulu. Tried NBC All Access but they were not willing to put any of their current shows on it and HBONow is good but their shows tend to be so good id rather just own them.

This is exactly the point that the media is missing. You can have Netflix, Hulu, Funimation, AND Disney. You can combine all of those and it'll still be cheaper than a cable TV subscription. When it comes out, I'll get Disney+. For $6 a month, why not? It won't disrupt any of my other streaming service subs though. It'll just be a welcome addition to them.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
For $6 a month, why not? It won't disrupt any of my other streaming service subs though. It'll just be a welcome addition to them.
Correct.

I cut cable a long time ago.

Anybody with small kids will be adding Disney, not replacing Netflix.

I just finished the last season of Colony and Im extremely happy with the OC Netflix is making.

Disney I need for all my Star Wars content!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Reporter is truly not the right job for that dude, I think it's the other way around.
Personally if I had to chose between NetFlax or Dis... I dis Dis.. any day in the week..
Would I add Dis.. mm... doubtful.. I be very conservative to it and see where it headed first...

🍺 🍻 🤪

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Correct.

I cut cable a long time ago.

Anybody with small kids will be adding Disney, not replacing Netflix.

I just finished the last season of Colony and Im extremely happy with the OC Netflix is making.

Disney I need for all my Star Wars content!
Lol, you need Disney because of the small kids like me and the bonus is all of the Star Wars content. Then again I end up watching a lot of the shows with my kids and missing out on the new Star Wars shows.

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
Somewhere I had seen that Disney has acquired HULU already, not sure if that’s true, but it shows streaming services are the future, old cable is done

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Somewhere I had seen that Disney has acquired HULU already, not sure if that’s true, but it shows streaming services are the future, old cable is done
When Disney acquired 21st Century Fox it included Fox's 30% stake in Hulu which gives Disney a 60% total this caused several other of the stakeholders to sell back their control to either Hulu or Disney. This month Comcast the last remaining shareholder announced that it would relinquish its control to Disney so in effect Hulu is owned in whole by Disney.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Articles aim: Get Disneys underdog competing service into the mind of people who wouldn't otherwise be aware of it.

Articles effect: Got Disneys underdog competing service into the minds of people who wouldn't otherwise be aware of it.

This thread and a hundred thousand more like it across the internet will be used in the metrics to show Disney the article to promote awareness was a success, and next week there will be another one just like it about the next thing they potentially want you to buy into. It's got one piece of info in the title that gives it away - the exact amount of days until launch. It's coming and all they want is to let you know that. It's the first salvo in the Charm Offensive.

The SC article probably had great metrics given the amount of copy-cat regurgitation reports based on Forbes article, even one in Vanity Fairs gaming section. The editors probably didn't give a ropey toss what was in the original article, it's accuracy or it's effect - they likely wanted reach and that's what they got. When the article finally gets into the magazine, if it isn't swapped out for something more financially pressing like the effects of banning all American businesses from trading with Huwawi, it'll probably be on page 84 and overlooked by most for the crosswords on page 83 and whats in the Horoscope section on page 85.

Forgot your password?