FPS 3.12 Calculator

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HaxbJwdaHtLX4qsbSSgGmjWgRuqqnPd3SRYmp9kG5K0/edit#gid=869785434

and my thoughts on the changes you can see here:

FPS 3.12.png

Note that you can carry more now, and still move faster. This outfit is carrying a LOT, though it is really still too much to carry more than one weapon under most circumstances, IMHO.

Don't miss the tabs at the bottom. Comparing things like burst damage is a really useful way to investigate weapons. The TTK (Time to Kill) tab is new since the last time I posted this (3.9 I think). Very interesting, just note that it presumes all your shots hit and guns with significant recoil will not necessarily put follow up shots on the target. There is a whole new tab for recoil, if you want to save yourself the trouble of testing each weapon. Don't miss the last tab. Doesn't everyone want to memorize how many stabs with a knife it takes to kill someone in heavy armor?

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I just clicked on the picture to enlarge and and though, "Hmmm, yes, I have no idea what this means..."

Clicked the link and it's pretty awesome info. I've wondered if certain setups would actually do anything. But now we need to know, how much HP does a PC or NPC have and what is the "Time To Kill" for something? A slow firing, massive damage weapon sounds great, but if you're overkilling then it's a waste of dps. But a super fast firing, low damage weapon may not be the best as you're probably missing shots. A one shot one kill weapon would be nice to find.

Although with varying armor types and actual damage mitigation in the future as well as a rework of how survivable people will be...I'm not sure any math done now will matter too much other than giving a general baseline of how they should perform later.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I just clicked on the picture to enlarge and and though, "Hmmm, yes, I have no idea what this means..."
The calculator now has room for two buildouts to look at and compare, left and right. In this comparison, the combat build on the left moves at 0.9 speed because of the weight it's carrying and the bottom third of the screen explains some of the consequences of that such as actual move rate and movement duration. Note that if you sprint to the end of your duration, your ability to point and shoot is extremely limited by the shaking of your arms, etc.

The top two thirds is where you plug in what you want to carry in your buildout. Note the one on the left is for combat, includes heavy armor and thus can't be worn while piloting. The Vanguard has a storage locker just behind the pilot's seat however, and the moment you get out of the seat you can put this on.

While you're piloting you can wear lighter armor, but I created a super-light build that allows for 1.0 movement rate just so you can see how much you can carry and still have this movement. Movement rate is so important that I want to always be faster than any player I might come up against. If I'm running away I want to escape. If I'm chasing I want to catch. If I'm evading fire I don't want to get hit. BTW, NPCs have a hard time hitting targets with a movement of .85 or faster. PCs are generally better shots than NPCs, so I want to move at .9 minimum.

That means you can't carry two weapons, and if you'll recall the devs speaking on this some years ago, they planned this saying it is not realistic to be able to carry two or more weapons without it being a heavy burden. They're right. I'm not sure they have upped the amount one can carry though. It's pretty wild you can carry all this and move at .9.

IIRC, the only way to one-shot someone is to either shoot them in the head or use an unusually powerful weapon like a sniper rifle, railgun, grenade launcher, etc. I will own I am disappointed they changed the Gallant so you need a second trigger pull to kill a target in heavy armor. Used to be since the Gallant is the only weapon that fires 5X in burst mode, you could kill with a full burst to the chest. Now it requires 6 hits. See the "Shots to Kill" tab. It gives exactly the kind of data you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This is a .95 build for light infantry:

FPS 3.12b.png

Note to get this kind of movement, you can still wear medium armor, but you lose a grenade, your side arm, your multi-tool (can't cut doors) and you're down from 480 to 360 rounds for the Gallant. That's a good trade off for twitchy players who can manage really fast action. This guy can match or outrun anyone wearing armor. When you design your buildout you need to think about who can, and cannot outrun you.

Reactions: Deroth

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So what do you want to wear when piloting? On the left is my standard combat build, and on the right, what I wear when in the pilot's seat and can't wear Heavy. I'm very surprised to find I can wear medium torso and carry a shotgun, which is about all I need if I have to go search the ship for a stow away. Previously I had a pistol, but a shotgun is much better and I still have 1.0 movement.
SC FPS.png

Forgot your password?