FPS ideas/changes

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
If you like please like it on the RSI forms as well. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/368345/fps-changes-i-would-like-to-see

I love the FPS game play, however there are some thing I don't like, and want to see changed. I am NOT talking about bugs here.

Healing: I find the way healing set up silly. If you are losing a firefight all you need to do is jump around like a bunny and stick a needle in your arm. and you are all good? There are two ways I could see fix this.

1: have the healing take place over 2.5-3 seconds (change as needed), and if you take any damage in this time the healing stops.
2: take damage when in the healing animation stops the animation.
Ether of those should fix the issue. I think the 1st idea is better.

Nades: I dislike the over/under throw on the nades right now. I have had issues when trying to throw far at a downward angle. I see a easy fix for this.
When you pull your nade and holding "G" tap "Q" (or other button) to change the toss of the nade. Also I would like to reduce nade spam, by ether giving only one nade at a time, or preventing you getting more nades at ammo drops.

Weapons: I feel like the Shotgun and Sniper Rifle need buffing to be retentive weapons.

Shotgun: This tend to do inconsistent damage. some times I will be able to one shot, other times I put round after round at close range into them and it does not kill them, this may be net code related, ether way I feel like shotguns need to be more consistent on damage output.

Sniper Rifle: The main issue I have right now is knowing when the gun is fully charged. Sometime I feel it is fully charged and land a body shot, and it does not kill. I think it need to be clearer when the gun is charged. Also I would like to see a little more time that it can hold the charge. right now I feel it is in a useless place where it take too long to charge to hit a target you see when you start to charge, and it does not hold its charge long enough to be good at anticipating a target coming.

Damage to limbs: As may of us know, when holding a gun your limb blocks part of your chest, making aiming center mass worthless. here is how I propose a fix to that system.
The only option I can see is have each round have a set amount of damage it does, and it will go through more and more until it hit its limit. an example of this, lets say you shoot a round that does 100 damage, it hits the armor on the arm, this absorbs 10 damage, now it hits the arm, dealing 20 damage, (max that part of the arm can take in a single shot) it now travels though the arm, and into the armor in the chest, the chest armor takes 40 damage, and the chest takes 30 damage. now you have hit for 50 damage points. if you use the same system on a chest shot, without the arm in the way, the chest armor takes 40 damage, just like before, and the person takes 60 damage. I think a system like this would help a lot, as if you shoot an arm with a chest behind it it would be more effective then shooting a arm or leg without hitting anything else. I think this may work. but it would need some testing of course.

Maps/Game Modes: I like what we have, it is a good start, however here is what I would like to see, and it should not be hard to make.

Ships: I want to see some of the larger ships be given as maps, for people like me that want to run security, and the pirates out there, it would be awesome to practice running around these ship we may have to defend/attack. Just give us the ship, with some space around it.

Game Mode: I really want a single life game mode so I can play like I would in the PU. Ideally this game mode would be about taking/defending ships. Give us a ship for one team to defend, have the other team spawn on a second drop ship. The goal of the offense is to eva over and take control of the cargo ship, were as the defense sets up to defend the ship. If you set it up like R6S or or CSGO, where their are many rounds, and both teams have a change to attack and defend I think this would be a great add on, and serve as a training point for the PU.

Thoughts? other ideas? I would love to hear them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Accented

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
The issues you have stated about the shotgun are not issues with the gun itself, rather it's an issue with the damage model in-game right now. The limbs - which block the chest whenever a player is facing you - takes seven times more damage compared to the head, and a bit more than three times as much compared to the chest. What this means for the shotgun is that if you can actually hit the head, you'll get a one-shot kill but if you hit lower, it would take about 7 shots to kill, thus explaining the inconsistent damage you are reporting. I actually think the shotgun is in a really good place right now if you can effectively hit the head most of the time, as it is with the P4-AR. However, since limbs can take that much damage, a lot of the weapons appear to be lacking stopping power.

Another thought: characters need to slow down when shot. Right now running and gunning is the norm because there is essentially nothing discouraging a player from doing so. I would suggest that getting shot while sprinting will cause your character to spread eagle just like a botched EVA transition.

Also, TIL that the sniper rifle needs to charge. No wonder I can't do anything with it :D.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
The issues you have stated about the shotgun are not issues with the gun itself, rather it's an issue with the damage model in-game right now. The limbs - which block the chest whenever a player is facing you - takes seven times more damage compared to the head, and a bit more than three times as much compared to the chest. What this means for the shotgun is that if you can actually hit the head, you'll get a one-shot kill but if you hit lower, it would take about 7 shots to kill, thus explaining the inconsistent damage you are reporting. I actually think the shotgun is in a really good place right now if you can effectively hit the head most of the time, as it is with the P4-AR. However, since limbs can take that much damage, a lot of the weapons appear to be lacking stopping power.
Yes, but the shotgun and sniper rifle suffer the most from these. The only other option I can see is have each round have a set amount of damage it does, and it will go through more and more until it hit its limit. an example of this, lets say you shoot a round that does 100 damage, it hits the armor on the arm, this absorbs 10 damage, now it hits the arm, dealing 20 damage, (max that part of the arm can take in a single shot) it now travels though the arm, and into the armor in the chest, the chest armor takes 40 damage, and the chest takes 30 damage. now you have hit for 50 damage points. if you use the same system on a chest shot, without the arm in the way, the chest armor takes 40 damage, just like before, and the person takes 60 damage. I think a system like this would help a lot, as if you shoot an arm with a chest behind it it would be more effective then shooting a arm or leg without hitting anything else. I think this may work. but it would need some testing of course.

(added to main post)

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
Yes, but the shotgun and sniper rifle suffer the most from these. The only other option I can see is have each round have a set amount of damage it does, and it will go through more and more until it hit its limit. an example of this, lets say you shoot a round that does 100 damage, it hits the armor on the arm, this absorbs 10 damage, now it hits the arm, dealing 20 damage, (max that part of the arm can take in a single shot) it now travels though the arm, and into the armor in the chest, the chest armor takes 40 damage, and the chest takes 30 damage. now you have hit for 50 damage points. if you use the same system on a chest shot, without the arm in the way, the chest armor takes 40 damage, just like before, and the person takes 60 damage. I think a system like this would help a lot, as if you shoot an arm with a chest behind it it would be more effective then shooting a arm or leg without hitting anything else. I think this may work. but it would need some testing of course.

(added to main post)
Yeah, penetration will help a lot. That should solve a lot of problems with the current health system.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
A TEST branded Toilet Paper gun would go down well i feel. Especially if the TP were coated in acid and did damage over time.

TP-2000 would be a good name for it.

Also a broken beer bottle Melee weapon would suit us too. Savage.

I have played a total of two matches and cannot comment on the game-play side of things.

Forgot your password?