Free flight week means ramming is back!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Jumped into a Banu Defender to mess around a bit.

Within 2 seconds of taking off I got rammed and exploded.

I can't blame the new arrivals, pad ramming is fun and makes pretty explosions!

It has been a while since that has happened.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Jumped into a Banu Defender to mess around a bit.

Within 2 seconds of taking off I got rammed and exploded.

I can't blame the new arrivals, pad ramming is fun and makes pretty explosions!

It has been a while since that has happened.
They knew it was you and were trying to show you their aurora crashing skills.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Am I the only one who thinks pad ramming is stupid?
You're not alone, and the makers of the game have worked and are working hard on techniques to put an end to it.

In the beginning, when the PU was new, there was very little to stop people doing whatever the hell they felt like. Dick-moves which no one who is interested in playing the game as it is intended to be played likes were rife, ganking/pad ramming, pad-camping where players used to hover over a pad and destroy any ship that spawned there before the other player could get to it (before the no weapons armistice zones), spawn camping and more...

Over time more and more is being bought in to counteract them. NPC security forces, armistice zones (which are intended to be removed eventually when better ways are found), stations with functional weapons, the Law and Order systems including an actual prison in the 'Verse being the latest thing to be implemented - players with a high enough crime stat will not respawn at their last port when they are finally caught or killed, they'll respawn in prison with some hard-time to work off. It's a legit part of the criminal play mechanics, but should work wonders on trolls too as it will remove them from circulation for a while.

Some dick-move using players I have spoken to about this have protested that some of these moves, like destroying ships on the pads before their pilots can reach them is legitimate Player Vs Player "suppression techniques". I argule there is a very thin line between what some players consider legitimate Player vs Player and harassment.

If it is consensual player vs player with all parties in a position to engage and enjoy the PvP I can't find a problem with it, but if, like I saw prior to the Armistice Zones coming in, one player holding loads hostage in Grim-Hex by simply sitting over the pads and blowing up any ship that spawned that's not PvP, that's a power-trip and harassing others. When I stumbled across this in the process of occurring, oh I did lay down my furious vengeance (back when the 350R was a fairly potent fighting ship before it's many nurfs and the rework. Happy memories.)

Pad ramming is not consensual PvP, it's a dick move. As the game is being made and more and more of these moves come to light, it is only the Ganksters and ass-hats who are harming themselves, as the more cards they show, the more the house can stack the deck against them.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Am I the only one who thinks pad ramming is stupid?
It all depends on if its legitimate pad raming or a noob crashing. Pad ramming is stupid in that it's simply a loophole in-game mechanics and with the armistice zone there is no real way to counter it. Its why I am not a fan of the armistice zone to start with as pad rammers and pad campers could easily be countered with a rail gun or a competent pilot in a fighter. Instead, we have to just try and ignore them the best we can while the station's guns are too weak to do much about these annoyances.

Reactions: Gotin and GPcustoms

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Its as if they know when I have something nice stuffed in the hull :o7:
Happy thoughts:like:

Reactions: Bambooza

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
I always laugh at the jerks who try to pass off anything like ramming or port camping as being pirates. I think most people forget that actual pirate action was political or military in nature. Those engaging in such activity and not associated with either were simply brigands and straight up criminals or outlaws. Hopefully one day the game will have legit reasons for piracy like destabilizing shipping lanes or raiding a hostile nation's ports etc.

Forgot your password?