Freelancer...DUR or MAX, upgrade advice

Dorian Grey

Space Marshal
Feb 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Renstler
whats turning me off the Taurus is that it is a Multi crew ship. I mean, how feasable will it be to use it solo. I already have a gargantuan ship waiting for me that i have no idea how am I going to operate lol

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Well this is one of the potential Achilles heels of star citizen. Firstly even on the Taurus a second crew member for the turret and or an engineer will players be willing to sit around and do nothing to mulitcrew ships (nothing most of the time). Will interesting game play be really created or will most ships be solo with "npcs". Mostly I am talked non military ships here if your going to spank your neighbour turret jockey might be fun (all be it again waiting for combat (much like real soldiers).

Either way if your a believer you know this will have to get fixed, to make it either 1) attractive to multi crew or 2) make it not required.

That being said if I didn't own expensive ships already and was doing it again I think there is a lot of sense to starting with manageable and for me that would be the ordinary freelancer (okay I wouldn't get any freelancer cos its a van!!!!so would get a cutlass black) even this is multicrew but is not so fixed on one profession i.e. Max for cargo or Dur for exploring. If you were really into exploring I like the terrapin but it has no ground vehicle the plus supposedly is its very capable with good sensors for its size and would get the ordinary freelancer to go with it.

This way if you like hauling/trading you have upgrade options. There should always be a room for smaller ships if the jump points have limits like they have said (just it is still open to conjecture what ship will go in what).

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Go with the MIS. You can explore with the MAX number of MISsiles, DUR.
You can not. The scanning sensors are part of the hull & the DUR has extra fuel tanks externally.

I would upgrade to the DUR.
It only holds 25% less cargo than the base model and can be used for exploration.
The Max is strictly for cargo hauling.

With the Cutlass Black & Freelancer DUR you would have a great duo fleet to start in the 'Verse.

BTW -- You might consider the Constellation Taurus.
It holds 2 1/2 times the cargo of the MAX & has a large smuggler hold.
The cost is comparable.
^This...either go with the DUR, which only has 25% less cargo, or go with the Taurus, which has over 2x the capacity of of the MAX. I like the idea of the MAX, but the Taurus is so much better value. Plus more turrets, more pew pew!

Dorian Grey

Space Marshal
Feb 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Renstler
^This...either go with the DUR, which only has 25% less cargo, or go with the Taurus, which has over 2x the capacity of of the MAX. I like the idea of the MAX, but the Taurus is so much better value. Plus more turrets, more pew pew!
yeah but you need crew to operate those turret, they are not automated right?

Reactions: StdDev

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
At the moment yes, but in the future they have talked about making turrets automated with upgrades at a high cost to your power unit and computer overhead.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Don't forget NPC's can also be your crew mates. Or just solo trade and keep to mostly safe routes. While I imagine the Taurus would loose some performance without multiple crew members its one of those ships where if kept up should be doable solo.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
whats turning me off the Taurus is that it is a Multi crew ship. I mean, how feasable will it be to use it solo. I already have a gargantuan ship waiting for me that i have no idea how am I going to operate lol
I was thinking about this before and maybe NPCs will be less efficient and I'd like to think you choose them like a company would interview their employees, so you'd have a CV and decide which one is right for you and the better choices obviously demand more money.

Who knows how this will play out but hopefully not too convoluted to the point of tedium.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Don't forget NPC's can also be your crew mates. Or just solo trade and keep to mostly safe routes. While I imagine the Taurus would loose some performance without multiple crew members its one of those ships where if kept up should be doable solo.
This is what i was going to say i plan to put NPCs all over my ships.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This is what i was going to say i plan to put NPCs all over my ships.
Problem your gonna get is when the cargo run earns you 5000uec but the NPCs to keep you safe ended up costing you 6000uec!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I was wrong, you are correct, there is only one turret...BUT...I think I was focusing on the 4 size 5 forward facing lasers...those are definitely more pew pew! And you don't run out of ammo.

With a Taurus, echoing what others have said, I would stick to mainly safe routes, especially if going solo. You are a big fat target, and while you have 4 forward facing lethal guns, the turret with Size 2 Badgers ain't gonna drive any real threat away.

(This is very similar to advice for a regular Freelancer or MAX, where your 4 forward guns are only size 3...you are still a fat target, but not as big and as juicy as a Taurus).

The DUR will hopefully have top-notch scanners, so you can detect a threat earlier and get away from it. But to reiterate, if you want to make the max profit you can, you need to move as large a haul of cargo as you can. If you stick to safe routes, you should be able to operate solo, which will also reduce the costs. The Taurus, price-wise, is the most efficient way to trade, esp. for a solo player, in the under $200, or even under $300 level.

Forgot your password?