From the official White House youtube channel

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Ugh... why is this still a topic of discussion? American arrogance is astounding... I am embarrassed. We act like the rest of the world doesn't play the SAME EXACT GAMES without our problems. Fun fact: America's Army was paid for with American tax payer dollars out of the Army's "recruitment" budget.... It was literally made to recruit and train soldiers and our President sits and scolds the gaming industry. Just embarrassing.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ugh... why is this still a topic of discussion? American arrogance is astounding... I am embarrassed. We act like the rest of the world doesn't play the SAME EXACT GAMES without our problems. Fun fact: America's Army was paid for with American tax payer dollars out of the Army's "recruitment" budget.... It was literally made to recruit and train soldiers and our President sits and scolds the gaming industry. Just embarrassing.
Good summary. But hang on a sec, I'm downloading America's Army...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The science has conclusively proven what the issue is, but it would be career suicide for anyone to publicly state it right now.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here, since you didn't say what science "proved". There is a popular misconception that science proves things. It does not, and there is not actually a concept such as "conclusive proof" in the scientific method.

Second thing you said I agree with, but consider that it means that whoever thinks they have a solution, even a partial solution, and isn't talking or isn't even allowing a conversation to take place, is a coward.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I thought I heard most countries have much stronger restrictions on purchasing of certain types of games by minors.

I am not saying I agree with this, and there are many other factors that can and should be addressed as well, but certainly, this combined with more graphic violence on TV has served to desensitize us to violence. what would have most people barfing now gets a "meh" from people. Think about GOT and the sheer level of blood and gore there. Borgia, Sparticus, etc. Even cop shows like NCIS end in the "bad guy" getting killed at the end of the episode most time. When did Barney Miller end with Wojo killing the "perp"? It's one thing when the violence is a bit more cartoony, but realistic carnage and violence probably has some impact on certain people. Not all people, and probably not even the vast majority of people. But it may have an impact on certain people with other issues as well.

Should we ban them? No, but maybe we should restrict young people from directly purchasing certain games until brains have grown up a bit more. Make the parents be involved more. Require the seller to describe what's in there (yes, including amazon). blood, gore, alcohol, etc. Make it a bit more granular so parents have a better understanding. Intense blood and gore. Realistic or enhanced blood/gore. Decapitations are present. This game involves the player shooting at humans/mosters/aliens with realistic/semi-realistic/fantasy weapons. Game has explicit nudity and depicts sex with humans and or aliens. Sexual encounters may be with the same sex individuals. (that last part will have the parents saying "no" a lot more than anything else I think).

Many parents are not aware of what is in these games. Some are. many that are, don't want their kids playing it, some are ok. My brother would not let his kid play wow until 14 due to the nature of the game. Call or Duty or Mass effect was not allowed until kid was 17. My sister-in-law doesn't even like her kids playing Lego Star Wars due to what her kids are like, but her ex lets them play whatever and does not care. Who has the say here? This is the real issue..parenting, but giving parents the tools to let them make the critical decisions can only help. Yes, some will let the kids play no matter what, but that would occur anyway. Just like kids had access to Playboy and other adult magazines as 11-12 year old. Some parents just don't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
<cue patriotic music> Hello America, I'm "CAPTAIN OBVIOUS" and I'm here to save you. . . yes save you from your own ignorance. Did you know that us Americans have managed to be on the bleeding. . . I mean leading edge of life termination for over 100 years. Yes'sir, we sure are an innovative bunch, in fact, we managed to find new ways to kill, murder, and terminate each other in new and creative ways so well that we even have laws protecting our right to do so. Don't let those video game CEO's take the credit you so richly deserve, do it like your great grandpa did, the old fashion way with can of whoop-ass, before rap, FPS games, and "commie" fake news tells you to do it for them. Don't take my word for it, just look at these fancy line graphs I found on the internet with data sources I'm too lazy to look up, because if its on the internet or the white house twitter feed, it must be true . . .. right.

Attachments

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
Ban ALL Guns.
Ban ALL Games.

Free ALL the prisoners (they have rights you know).

Now, isn't that better?
Do they get a party gift bag when they leave for attending the jail party? caaaauuuuse I didn't get one, aaaaand I kinda would feel left out if they did and I didn't......

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
I thought I heard most countries have much stronger restrictions on purchasing of certain types of games by minors.

Many parents are not aware of what is in these games. Some are. many that are, don't want their kids playing it, some are ok. My brother would not let his kid play wow until 14 due to the nature of the game. Call or Duty or Mass effect was not allowed until kid was 17. My sister-in-law doesn't even like her kids playing Lego Star Wars due to what her kids are like, but her ex lets them play whatever and does not care. Who has the say here? This is the real issue..parenting, but giving parents the tools to let them make the critical decisions can only help. Yes, some will let the kids play no matter what, but that would occur anyway. Just like kids had access to Playboy and other adult magazines as 11-12 year old. Some parents just don't see anything wrong with it.
If only there was some way we could put a rating on the video game to let parents know that its not safe for six year olds to play and should be limited to mature adults. . . . we could call it the "Video game content rating system" and we could even have a bunch of morally smart people decide what those ratings are, we should call them the "Entertainment Software Rating Board" . . . . . Naaaaaaahh, that's just silly, nobody reads anymore, we just look at the shiny pictures with the flashy image and go "oooo, pretty"

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Could be worse.... you could have this guy
Oh I dunno. He's not the best, certainly not his father, that's for sure. But tell ya what. Science isn't done, or even understood by Justin Trudeau any more than it is by Donald Trump. But one at least tries to listen to scientists, and tries to learn learn what they mean, and the other one doesn't exactly have a history of doing so.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Oh I dunno. He's not the best, certainly not his father, that's for sure. But tell ya what. Science isn't done, or even understood by Justin Trudeau any more than it is by Donald Trump. But one at least tries to listen to scientists, and tries to learn learn what they mean, and the other one doesn't exactly have a history of doing so.
Our's like to play dress-up. Yay!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Our's like to play dress-up. Yay!
lol. Yeah well. That's probably not the worst of it. But the two boys didn't look like they had a particularly good time on that trip. Check out Xavier's expression. There was also Hadrian's face plant thing at that memorial ceremony. So maybe there's hope for the whole Waterhole family in the future.

Forgot your password?