Genetics and the Human Race 930 years in the future.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The DNA face maker is on its way into the game to give more options when making your face in the game, I haven't seen it yet but it's got me thinking about the human race, genetics and what we as a species are likely to "look" like that far into the future.

At the moment the characters I see in scenes from S42, other players avatars and NPC's in the Verse all have very recogniseable ethnicities however nearly 1000 years into the future with easy, fast and convenient transport around the world and even across the cosmos, would this still be the case?

Affordable air travel has only been around on Earth for about 60 years which equates to roughly 2 or 3 generations (a generation is between 20 and 30 years, depending on the definition you use). Assuming that continues to 2949 that will be between 33 and 50 generations of humans being able to travel and meet each other relatively easily.

Evolutionary forces originally caused certain traits to be beneficial for where people lived with a combination of external environmental factors and internal dominant and recessive genes - for (probably bad) example: it is thought the number of red-headed people in Scotland is higher than average in the general population because although the red-headed genes are recessive (dominated by other hair colours thus less likely to occur) the pale pasty skin that goes with that hair colour is apparently ideal for getting more Vitamin D from the reduced levels of light in that country during winters, giving them an evolutionary survival advantage over other skin types and promoting an ethnicity in the area higher in red-headed persons than other places might have. As people were originally limited to the speed their legs could carry them this generally worked for making ethnic traits in areas, you lived in a place where you couldn't get enough Vitamin D, you either crawled across the planet until you were somewhere you could thrive or you and your genetic traits could not compete with the others in your area and died out and those traits could not continue.

But with advanced medical knowledge and application with easy pan-globe travel, Survival of the fittest becomes less and less relevant... Just don't forget to take your Vitamin D supplements and you will literally be fine wherever you choose to settle, if you choose to settle...

I know SC is a game and they are not going to go and re-model all the characters into one overarching set of dominant DNA traits, but what do we think the Human Race will end up being in 930 years?

Is 50 generations even long enough to make anything close to a pan-ethnic appearance in the human race?

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Aside from humans inevitably going down the cybernetics & altered genetics paths with enhanced senses and upgraded organs, etc... I'd imagine we will evolve slowly to adapt to life in space. I would think our eyes would change a bit. Maybe enlarge slightly or at least become more efficient to deal with the darkness. We'd become taller & more nimble at expense of skeletal durability, unless we spent a lot of time in artificial gravity. I can see our skin becoming thicker too due to the radiation maybe? We'd all probably get a lot paler like you mentioned as well (though opposite could be true for generations of humans living on planets with more sunlight).

Been powering through last & current seasons of The Expanse and while all the humans still look normal, they do acknowledged how martians can't easily handle earth's gravity which is kinda neat. So I can see there being almost a subspecies of homosapien, that is one intended for life in lower-to-no gravity.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
If you like these sort of questions check out - Isaac Arthur

Get past the Accent and he goes really in depth about alot of cool sci fi topics!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Is 50 generations even long enough to make anything close to a pan-ethnic appearance in the human race?
So, decidedly no. Left to natural processes, in 900 years from now, our descendants will on a global scale, still look like a 21st century human, with some change due to the advancement of science and medicine, and genetic remix due to the ability to travel. Better health is responsible for most things you can describe today. Even something like living in a different gravity will change nothing but bone density and muscle mass, which likely have an impact on life expectancy... but that is not describing something that could cause speciation in 900 years, or even 9000 years. In fact, you could reverse it by changing the gravity that an individual is exposed to. You might be able to see some natural speciation in 90,000 years... but that's way out of scope.

For those that are curious, there is also no real evidence yet that we can create speciation artificially - but it is technically possible.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you're asking about evolution, I don't think you will find much of that. Evolution is a response to environment, and space farers have taken control to not only manage, but improve their environments, so not much natural selection. Exceptions will probably be that we'll continue to grow smarter and taller, because there are all sorts of benefits to both.

I would expect the big changes to be synthetic enhancements. If we ever get to the point of enhancing our brains with computers, that would make us into a speicies none of us would much recognize save for physical appearance. That is not long off even now. 900 years from now. . .we cannot even begin to guess all the changes. I think though one thing is certain--we will still admire tiny waists and big chests on both men and women, and slender, lanky builds for their superior athletic performance. Big hips will likley go out of fashion since they're no longer needed for child bearing, and brute strength.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Many thanks to all respondents, fascinating - even the robot unicorns...

I did some further reading and saw this wiki-article on a case of selective breeding in Foxes for domestication which observes by the 6th generation they had to add a class to the results table of extreme domestication, and between the 10th and 20th generations the number of these exemplary individuals increased a measurable 17%, climbing all the way to 70/80% today (current generation number unknown):

I'd be inclined to agree with the general consensus, unless there was a concerted effort to perform Eugenics on the human race simply having total convenient freedom of movement may not be enough to create a broader pan-ethnic appearance by the time the game is set... but there may be some other types of appearance that the DNA face-maker might actually be able to forsee perhaps? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Many thanks to all respondents, fascinating - even the robot unicorns...

I did some further reading and saw this wiki-article on a case of selective breeding in Foxes for domestication which observes by the 6th generation they had to add a class to the results table of extreme domestication, and between the 10th and 20th generations the number of these exemplary individuals increased a measurable 17%, climbing all the way to 70/80% today (current generation number unknown):

I'd be inclined to agree with the general consensus, unless there was a concerted effort to perform Eugenics on the human race simply having total convenient freedom of movement may not be enough to create a broader pan-ethnic appearance by the time the game is set... but there may be some other types of appearance that the DNA face-maker might actually be able to forsee? :)
The next, say 100 or so years are going to be interesting, that's for sure. Experiments like what you mention, and more are proving very interesting. We don't understand enough of the mechanics just yet, but they're working hard on it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Soon will have apes in spacesuits...

The next, say 100 or so years are going to be interesting, that's for sure
It really is going to be. Could be anything like Altered Carbon Cortical Sack's, Space travel (FTL), Nanites, bio engineered children (CRISPR), Full VR like the Matrix. Or War, Famine and Plauge could set us back a few hundred years.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
To be fair, the stacks in AC were from alien tech so don’t bank on that.

The brain and personality are fantastically complicated, and while personally I find human/machine hybridisation a worthy objective - in reality the best we should hope for in the next 100 years are slightly longer lifespans with better overall health and more active lifestyles.

Basically the kids are going to stay at home even longer, and we’ll be cleaning up after them into our 60’s.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
To be fair, the stacks in AC were from alien tech so don’t bank on that.

The brain and personality are fantastically complicated, and while personally I find human/machine hybridisation a worthy objective - in reality the best we should hope for in the next 100 years are slightly longer lifespans with better overall health and more active lifestyles.

Basically the kids are going to stay at home even longer, and we’ll be cleaning up after them into our 60’s.
I am not sure we are going to get much longer lifespans but what medical science does say is we should have better overall health in the end years.

But your right about the stacks as the truth would be more like the matrix than the ability to transfer ones conscious by way of the brain stem. (i just really liked the idea and it would make for a great fps backstory)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Soon will have apes in spacesuits...

It really is going to be. Could be anything like Altered Carbon Cortical Sack's, Space travel (FTL), Nanites, bio engineered children (CRISPR), Full VR like the Matrix. Or War, Famine and Plauge could set us back a few hundred years.
I read your list and thought:

"Yeah, like in the 50's they said we'd all have flying cars and eat three course meal-pills every day by the year 2000"
but then I thought:
"Or like in the 1900 when flying in a machine was storybook stuff and going to orbit, let alone the the moon, was a physical impossibility..."

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

"Yeah, like in the 50's they said we'd all have flying cars and eat three course meal-pills every day by the year 2000"
but then I thought:
"Or like in the 1900 when flying in a machine was storybook stuff and going to orbit, let alone the the moon, was a physical impossibility..."
Those stories from the 50's were not wrong. We can pack enough nutrient in a few tablets or make a car fly, or swim. Those things didn't disappear, there was just no reason to pursue the technology at the time. In fact I'm living proof of the meal thing...stuff... gawd that shit tastes bad. I liked it better injected.

You know though, SC is actually portraying a future that we actually fear, but suspect is happening now. Corporate dystopia. It's a real probable future scenario.

Edit: I apologize... I usually hate sentences that use "actually" just once, and I put it in the same sentence twice. Tell your dead brain cells that I didn't mean it.

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I read somewhere that our liitle toes no longer serve any purpose

but it will take 15,000 years for humans to evolve into four-toed creatures

so I don't anticipate many changes in 930 years

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

but then I thought:

That's the best part we honestly don't know what will or will not happen.

To think we use quantum tunneling daily with our computers to store vast amount of data on SSD drives.
We have to use Einsteins general relativity calculations to adjust the time on GPS satellites so that we can use our sat nav systems to easily navigate the streets.
Quantum computers much like computers back in the 50's are pushing boundaries.
We now use the HIV virus as a vector for gene therapy to treat some forms of cancer.

Forgot your password?