Gladius changes have me looking for a different fighter

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
As the title says I do not like the changes to the default loadout for the Gladius. I find it much too difficult to fight with now. Combining the speed/maneuverability with fixed weapons makes the ship excellent at jousting but I tend to prefer getting up close and strafing. Basically, I am finding it too hard to use the new gladius and am looking for an upgrade. I was looking into the Hornet or maybe the Sabre but I wanted to hear from you guys. What single person combat ship do you think would work best for me. Currently, my favorite ship is the Cutlass Black but I am looking for something a little smaller. I thought that now would be the best time to ask since the sale is coming up soon so I will get access to ships that I otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
All the new default loadouts are horrible. I'm adamant disgusted with mixed gimbled and fixed weapons as well as mixed energy and ballistics weapons...hate, hate, hate.

As for how it flies, that is scheduled to change drastically in about four months (3.5.)

Kaiserz

Commander
Oct 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Kaiserz
Get yourself in a Sabre, i do have problems with the gladius, since they are small targets and can take a beating, but i have 4 S3 locked Panthers Lasers Repeaters so... when hit, they start to losing pieces OR do it the easy way, get a sabre raven to EMP the ass of the enemies and you can kill them REALLY REALLY easy... there's an avenger that have the same EMP charge so.. you can use it too.

NOTE: sabre is agile enough to handle the fixed weapons... also, i have a drake cutlass too... and i kill faster with it than the sabre, bigger power plant, smaller weapons, but this also means i can fire longer... and it have 16missiles... so i think the cuttie, is the only ship we all need to be really honest.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I would say get a CCU to a ship you like the look of and do not apply it until we know more. Most fighters have been out a while and are unlikely to increase in price so you can always change again later. Currently the same 2 fighters as always do okay that is sabre and super hornet but heh they are the most expensive. Ironically the vanguard has improved but is even more expensive. Realistically I would not spend any more money at all with so much fighter related in the air. Who knows the Khartu Al might even be fun.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Also keep in mind that all currently flyable ships will be available to fly for free soon, plus quite a few ships have reworks coming in the next few patches along with more ships and ship weapons.
So if you've liked the Gladius until now, but only dislike it due to the new default weapon load out, then I recommend keeping it unless you absolutely fall in love with something else.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Yeah, all the crazed loadouts have been annoying, mixing the ballistics and energy weapons. I think they slapped those in as a bandaid because i've noticed several of my ships that are mixed now when I swap out for full energy, the ship's power plant can't keep them all going at default settings.

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
Thanks, for all the feedback! I think I am going to upgrade to an EMP ship based on if I prefer the base model of the sabre or avenger more when I try them out during the free fly event. Ultimately, I think that the EMP idea is a good one.

As far as the flight model changes, it sounds like ships like the gladius are going to continue not being what I want. Large, fixed engines, while looking cool, are probably going to better for a turret or for hit and run. I would consider a hurricane if NPC crew was a thing but since I tend to play lone wolf a 2+ crew ship is out of the question for me at the moment. I love the way the vanguard looks and I might consider getting one further down the line to play with my fiance if she ends up liking star citizen (not even willing to try until female playable characters are added lol). Until then I will stick with my cutlass for cargo and bounty hunting and an EMP ship to change things up a bit. If nothing else I could just convert the gladius to a caterpillar to do some distance cargo hauling (which might be a thing with Hurston, only time will tell).

Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Indeed the Hurricane right now in game even with a buddy is not very effective given how difficult turrets are. That should change when you can slave the turret or hire an NPC but that is still a ways off.

The Hornet has been and continues to be more of the tank of the fighters both being able to take and dish out a beating effectively.
The Saber is suppose to be more stealthy for what its worth which might end up being it takes slightly longer for a missile lock but for now its just slightly more maneuverable then the hornet and arena command shows both ships are pretty fairly matched while dominating the other ships.

Reactions: Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks, for all the feedback! I think I am going to upgrade to an EMP ship based on if I prefer the base model of the sabre or avenger more when I try them out during the free fly event. Ultimately, I think that the EMP idea is a good one.

As far as the flight model changes, it sounds like ships like the gladius are going to continue not being what I want. Large, fixed engines, while looking cool, are probably going to better for a turret or for hit and run. I would consider a hurricane if NPC crew was a thing but since I tend to play lone wolf a 2+ crew ship is out of the question for me at the moment. I love the way the vanguard looks and I might consider getting one further down the line to play with my fiance if she ends up liking star citizen (not even willing to try until female playable characters are added lol). Until then I will stick with my cutlass for cargo and bounty hunting and an EMP ship to change things up a bit. If nothing else I could just convert the gladius to a caterpillar to do some distance cargo hauling (which might be a thing with Hurston, only time will tell).
Good plan, Fly Before You Buy!

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1

I really like the Caterpillar but you should think carefully on getting it as your solo cargo hauler as when the game goes live ships like some of the Hull series will be better for that while the Caterpillar will have other roles it'll be better at, that require a group.

Reactions: Bambooza

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
I really like the Caterpillar but you should think carefully on getting it as your solo cargo hauler as when the game goes live ships like some of the Hull series will be better for that while the Caterpillar will have other roles it'll be better at, that require a group.
That's fine with me. I see it as get a Caterpillar now, trade it in for a Hull A/B later. Also, when the game goes live I plan to have a fleet that is just a mediumship (current pick is Cutlass Black), a small science/exploration ship, and a solo dedicated combat ship. I want to work my way up to a cargo ship. I want to work my way up to a large exploration ship. I want to earn facilities.

I am a Testie for the access to capital ship gameplay and the community. I don't plan to do everything with an ORG like some players. Personal achievement is much more rewarding than buying stuff. I rarely ever buy microtransactions. I prefer subscriptions as a monetization model or high purchase prices for games. If I need a crew I will hire freelancers or NPCs.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth
Forgot your password?