Good news: It's not dislocated!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Also, how can you dislocate a rib?
It's not easy with adults ... but it's painful. You can break or dislocate a rib from impact or from coughing hard. If you want to know how hard, watch someone with bronchitis hold their chest when they're coughing.

Do we tell him about small babies and croup? Naw. He's going to be scared enough just dealing with shitty diapers.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
... ouch.... but you were lucky, it could have been a lot worse.
Last time I broke something, was while putting air in a lock rim tire. Like an idiot, I was leaning over the tire, but that probably saved my arm from amputation. The blast thru me 31 feet, end over end and I landed on my back between the rails of a train track. 3 ribs broken. I didn't feel a thing for a few days
Holy cow!

Sounds like you were lucky to survive that one!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
He's going to be scared enough just dealing with shitty diapers.
I am a changed man. I have discovered many things:

Babies talk in body language and are fluent in it from arrival. They only resort to crying/screaming if you don't hear (see) that message.

Nappies are the original quantum experiment, is it soiled? They are both soiled and not, until observed. Invariably most of the time it is. I have to discover how to harness this Quantum to make them most of the time not.

They radiate an unusual amount of heat. I am in the process of trying to design a baby-fired Stirling engine.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
99% of the time, yes, the body self-regulates. In this instance (and many others like it), the need to expel foreign matter from the lungs overrides the self-regulation and CRACK, you've got a broken rib.

Wow... I read up on treatment and therapy on broken ribs. It seems now the solution is to just medicate you and hope you can deal with the pain. I mean not that compression wraps did much but they always seemed to help.

In the past, doctors would use compression wraps — elastic bandages that you can wrap around your chest — to help splint and immobilize the area. Compression wraps aren't recommended for broken ribs anymore because they can keep you from breathing deeply, which can increase the risk of pneumonia.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Bad news: It's actually broken.

I broke my freaking rib(s).

Now, I'd like to say that this happened doing something amazing; jumping from a flaming vehicle while saving an nest of endangered eagles, fending off ninjas attempting to assassinate the Dalai Llama, or even just attempting an epic jump on my bike.

Nope. No where near as cool as that. I broke my rib from coughing too hard.

Bronchitis is a bitch.
hug a pillow when you cough till you heal up.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Forgot your password?