Greetings fellow citizens

wd56

Commander
Jun 27, 2017
RSI Handle
wd56
Hi All

Just started 'playing' star citizen and decided to join this squadron.

Playing is in quotations because I am not sure what I am doing right now is that....there is just sooo much information regarding this game that I am no longer sure I know what I am doing.

Quick question: Is trading, mining and other commercial activities possible at this time or is it going to be in the 3.0 update? Also If there is an instruction manual anywhere, I would much appreciate it. Seen a few tutorials on youtube and they didnt really answer my questions. Like what are all the items on your hud when you are flying...why does my thruster keep switching off...etc

Thanks for any assistance!

Edit: Just noticed there were questions...oops

Where you from stranger?
Complicated question, short answer: Chicago, IL, USA
Long answer, Born in India (Rajasthan), grew up in Abu Dhabi, UAE and been in the US (Bloomington Indiana (4.5 years), Indianapolis, IN (1.5) , Chicago (4 years), with 5 months in Dallas and 6 months in Houston for work ) for 10 years now

What drew you to Star Citizen?
I got bored of playing Space Engineers, wanted a new space game. Liked Xrebirth, thought this would be something similar but with multiplayer

What do you look forward to most in Star Citizen? (PVP, Exploration, etc)
Growing my business empire, commercializing it somehow, quitting my job and making billions in real money here.

What was the first game you remember playing?
Red Alert 2 and Starcraft

What other games do you play?
Space Engineers, Squad, CS GO, Civilization V and VI, Don Bradman Cricket 14, Starcraft 2

How did you first hear about Test Squadron and what convinced you to join?
Started playing the game and got an invite in my email, clicked join and now Im here

Picard or Kirk?
Pfffftt...Star Trek :unamused:....Darth Vader is my hero :bust_in_silhouette:
EDIT : If Kirk, new Kirk or old Kirk?

Last edited:

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
First, welcome to TEST!

There are going to be some commercial activities in 3.0, the main one dealing in cargo. From what I understand there is going to be something of a market available and some cargo hauling missions. Mining probably isn't going to be in this update even though the Prospector is going to be there. They might implement something like mining but nothing like what it's going to end up being.

For the HUD, this should help explain some of what is going on there.

And lastly, your Thruster switching off, that just happens to some ships when they get older. There are several options out there that can help with this issue, just talk to your mechanic. The most important thing to remember though is that if you produce thrust for more than 4 hours, you should consult your mechanic immediately.

wd56

Commander
Jun 27, 2017
RSI Handle
wd56
Thanks! However, I just joined a couple of days ago and I have heard that my thrusters may be too new for me to inject a small amount of blue liquid. Dont want my engine to explode from the excitement.

So, how does one go about earning money and buying new ships (I am assuming you can buy ships in this universe, rather than with $$ in the parallel universe)

That vidscreen certainly helped! Probably shouldnt have obtained my pilot's license from a little green man on Dagobah who talked funny.

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Welcome to test :D

You can't buy ships in game yet, however if there's anything you'd like to try I'm sure someone will be happy to meet up with you and throw you the keys - alternately, you can earn some REC through playing Arena Commander & use that to rent ships.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Welcome to the Squardon!
So what can you do in terms of earning money and spending it, outside of Arena Commander, as of now?
There are several missions/mission types that you can do in the PU.
You can amass a fortune in aUEC and spend it on weapons and flight suits and armor.. and clothes. You can also spend aUEC on fueling and repairing and restocking your ship.

Reactions: Mich Angel and wd56

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Hello!

So guess I can explain some things...

aUEC is Alpha UEC as in Alpha test currency only used during the Alpha period...
aUEC you earn by doing various mission in PU which mean Persistent Universe,
with aUEC you can buy stuf in store in the game that is like stores when logged in to like Crusader, or Area18..
and there is only place aUEC work..
UEC how ever is the real ingame money and is not in use untill game is fully released..

REC. is money you earn in Arena commander only in online and not in single player or in private game.
You have Vaduul Swarm and Pirate swarm this are simulation combat modules within the game so you can crash and die as much as you want here it will not effect your character in any way or your ships.
Then you got racing the one thing that might seem hard and confusing first time you try it, but it is the fastest way to earn a lot of rec even if you crashing or doing good. In racing you earn rec even if you not complete one lap before the race is over.. so good place to start earning rec in even you are not doing and feel like rage quit don't rage quit you just lose rec on it and waste your time for nothing as I said in racing you earn rec no matter if you win lose or not even finish what is requierd tho is that you stay in the race until it ends. Which usealy only take between 2-5 some time up to 10min but 10 min race are very rare. Now lowest earning in race is 330rec for one race that take about 2-3min to earn 300rec in Vaduul or Pirate swarm you need to fight for at least 15-30min maby even more .
And once you start learning the tracks things change fast for you earn more money in race when you finish or at least complete one lap. ;)
So Last you got Arena commander Free flight is best place to start your practice flying then get over to any of the other arena commander and get your skilled tuned and ready for the Universe it will save you many time in PU.
------------------
I do suggest you check the Option/Keybindings to learn where the keys are and then you do get to know the name of such and if there is some you wounder about then you know what it's called.. make it easier to give a good answer. I do no t recommend changing any of the key-settings since it is alpha and they do change some time after new patch instead learn what they are and what they are used for then you easy can find the one keys you use the most. Don't ever forget this is a alpha not a finished game there will be a lot of strange shit sometime I just laugh at it and play on.. don't let it get you but what I say is this alpha is much better already in this stage than many full released game is or ever will be.
-------------------

Well do not wait to ask any of us we are a big org there is always some one around that can help out if you get in a squeezz...

Welcome to TEST SQUADRON :beer::beer::beer::beers::beers::beers: happy crashing ;)

P.s.
if you want to practice fly with any of us in Arena commander as in Freeflight or any of the modules using Private match make that possible and using Discord you are able to communicate and maybe get some helpful tips & tricks advancing your skill.. so if you are in need of some training just ask.
D.s.

;)

Last edited:

wd56

Commander
Jun 27, 2017
RSI Handle
wd56
Hello!

So guess I can explain some things...

aUEC is Alpha UEC as in Alpha test currency only used during the Alpha period...
aUEC you earn by doing various mission in PU which mean Persistent Universe,
with aUEC you can buy stuf in store in the game that is like stores when logged in to like Crusader, or Area18..
and there is only place aUEC work..
UEC how ever is the real ingame money and is not in use untill game is fully released..

REC. is money you earn in Arena commander only in online and not in single player or in private game.
You have Vaduul Swarm and Pirate swarm this are simulation combat modules within the game so you can crash and die as much as you want here it will not effect your character in any way or your ships.
Then you got racing the one thing that might seem hard and confusing first time you try it, but it is the fastest way to earn a lot of rec even if you crashing or doing good. In racing you earn rec even if you not complete one lap before the race is over.. so good place to start earning rec in even you are not doing and feel like rage quit don't rage quit you just lose rec on it and waste your time for nothing as I said in racing you earn rec no matter if you win lose or not even finish what is requierd tho is that you stay in the race until it ends. Which usealy only take between 2-5 some time up to 10min but 10 min race are very rare. Now lowest earning in race is 330rec for one race that take about 2-3min to earn 300rec in Vaduul or Pirate swarm you need to fight for at least 15-30min maby even more .
And once you start learning the tracks things change fast for you earn more money in race when you finish or at least complete one lap. ;)
So Last you got Arena commander Free flight is best place to start your practice flying then get over to any of the other arena commander and get your skilled tuned and ready for the Universe it will save you many time in PU.
------------------
I do suggest you check the Option/Keybindings to learn where the keys are and then you do get to know the name of such and if there is some you wounder about then you know what it's called.. make it easier to give a good answer. I do no t recommend changing any of the key-settings since it is alpha and they do change some time after new patch instead learn what they are and what they are used for then you easy can find the one keys you use the most. Don't ever forget this is a alpha not a finished game there will be a lot of strange shit sometime I just laugh at it and play on.. don't let it get you but what I say is this alpha is much better already in this stage than many full released game is or ever will be.
-------------------

Well do not wait to ask any of us we are a big org there is always some one around that can help out if you get in a squeezz...

Welcome to TEST SQUADRON :beer::beer::beer::beers::beers::beers: happy crashing ;)

P.s.
if you want to practice fly with any of us in Arena commander as in Freeflight or any of the modules using Private match make that possible and using Discord you are able to communicate and maybe get some helpful tips & tricks advancing your skill.. so if you are in need of some training just ask.
D.s.

;)
Thanks a lot for all the information, it was really helpful. Yes I have started getting the hang of things, only blew myself up once in PU. Totally understand its Alpha and all the fun frustrations that come along with it....experienced it with space engineers (nearly 3 years now)

Cant wait to start mining, and starting a business (im sure that version is a long ways away) and buying ships. Should be exciting!!

I did play around with changing the controls, I have joystick that I used for xrebirth a lot so I changed some of the movement controls to match those more closely....definitely learning to play with a keyboard and joystick rather than just the stick.

Its been fun so far.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Thanks a lot for all the information, it was really helpful. Yes I have started getting the hang of things, only blew myself up once in PU. Totally understand its Alpha and all the fun frustrations that come along with it....experienced it with space engineers (nearly 3 years now)

Cant wait to start mining, and starting a business (im sure that version is a long ways away) and buying ships. Should be exciting!!

I did play around with changing the controls, I have joystick that I used for xrebirth a lot so I changed some of the movement controls to match those more closely....definitely learning to play with a keyboard and joystick rather than just the stick.

Its been fun so far.

You'r welcome ;)
Good to hear, then messing around in setting won't be a problem for you, I usually just give advice to not do it when I don't know the skill level of whom I am talking with. To set the advice to safety first thinking so to say..
:smile:

well I say what StdDev said, don't worry you get the hang of it eventually and then you are crashing left and right all the time having great fun
:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ha ha

:beers: :beers::beer::beer::beer::beers::beers::beer:

Forgot your password?